AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I was all set to go ahead with buying the Mitsubishi HC3800 but I am seeing alot of information regarding shutdowns.

My boyfriend is preferring the brightness and black levels of DLP especially when we saw this model in action. Can somebody please suggest another projector that is just as good (minus shutdowns) with quality/contrast/performance?

I was considering LCD Epson 8100 but not sure of black/contrast compared to HC3800. Perhaps this is next best thing.

Thanks

·
Banned
157 Posts
i kind of got the idea that the shutdown problem more be resolved but i could be wrong. you guys should look at the sharp xv-z15000 dlp. sharp has made some of the best ht projectors for over a decade and the z15000 is no exception.

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydek /forum/post/18289671

Hi there

I was all set to go ahead with buying the Mitsubishi HC3800 but I am seeing alot of information regarding shutdowns.

My boyfriend is preferring the brightness and black levels of DLP especially when we saw this model in action. Can somebody please suggest another projector that is just as good (minus shutdowns) with quality/contrast/performance?

I was considering LCD Epson 8100 but not sure of black/contrast compared to HC3800. Perhaps this is next best thing.

Thanks

I'm chancing it... pulled the trigger on the HC3800 last night

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
jaydek -- The Epson 8100 is their "loss leader" (= economy) PJ and it has its share of problems, too. Without the "problems", the HC3800 is a better PJ, IMHO.

According to the latest info, the newer HC3800 versions are supposed to have the "shutdown" problems fixed. Unfortunately, there are still some "bad" ones in the distribution pipeline.

I would strongly recommend that (if you decide to stick with the HC3800) you buy it from the AVS Store ( http://www.avscienceweb.com/avscienc...=6&item_id=110 ) or one of the AVS advertisers. Do not try to "save a buck" by purchasing from other, more questionable, sources.

I would also recommend that you read the reviews on www.projectorreviews.com , in addition to the user reports here on AVS.

Unfortunately there are no (other) really good DLP PJs (or LCD models) in the under $1500 MSRP group. They all have flaws and problems of one sort or another. The HC3800 seems to be the best of the lot.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/18290539

Unfortunately there are no (other) really good DLP PJs (or LCD models) in the under $1500 MSRP group. They all have flaws and problems of one sort or another. The HC3800 seems to be the best of the lot.

Maybe the samsung a600 could be an interestinhg choiche, but I haven't seen yet a real good comparison between this two little dlp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I will check out the suggestions although perhaps maybe stick with HC3800 if the shutdown issue is possibly fixed.

The problem I have is that Im in Australia and the projectors are so expensive here. If i was to convert into US, its $2280USD.. Blaaaa. If I was to purchase somewhere from the US I may have issues with trying to send back for warranty (if shutdown occurs). Although I would prefer this option to buy in US!

I checked out H5080, I cant even find it for sale in Oz as its very new. If there are no issues with buying overseas + warranty/international perhaps its an option. If I was to get in oz, being 1000 more would probably be 2000 more here and starting to go over my budget! Ill still have a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts