AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give an unbiased comparison between the two projectors? Namely the Marquee 9500LC and the new Epson 8350 digital projector. Now that they're both under $1500, I'd surely like to hear some good, meaty comparisons between the two. Picture quality is #1 priority, of course, #2 is routine calibrations required. Digital is supposed to be set it and forget it. I've used several 4100 ECP's over the years and they are a constant tweak machine. I didn't mind back then but rather bored with doing that weekly at this point. Plus, of course, 1080p like out of a PS3 blu-ray is an absolute must now.

I want it all but not all the routine headaches Smile .

I don't mind the initial setup at all and even look forward to that. But seriously, the Epson 8350 is only 16 pounds and does 1080p with wide variation in pj placement and ambient light allowance. Bulb is 4000 hours claims Epson. I don't want to deal with bulbs either but every couple years isn't so bad at around $300 currently.

My main theater room has been really idle since I got sick but I went through a couple ECP 4100's, a couple Barco 800 graphics (still have them plus 4 more that are untested.)

And to top if off, wife says she doesn't want to put any more money into pj's but it hasn't sunk in yet that the 10 foot image is now as cheap and cheaper than the 60 inch or so flat screen.

That's where we are these days. Thanks for any help!

David

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv_lover /forum/post/19561098

Can someone give an unbiased comparison between the two projectors? Namely the Marquee 9500LC and the new Epson 8350 digital projector. Now that they're both under $1500, I'd surely like to hear some good, meaty comparisons between the two.

#2 is routine calibrations required. David

an as-is 9500Lc, even one from a private "wife say's it's gotta go but it works great" home theatre will almost without a doubt at this point need

1)new bellows and glycol,

2)might have corrosion in the CL chamber which needs to be re-sealed with Epoxy paint,

3)will drift on convergence

and

4)be soft at 1080P if the 15 year old electronics in the chassis haven't been worked on.

Of course this is my opinion but I speak from experience based on the work i've done for people to deal with "all of the above" over the last year. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $1K for a 9500LC and then plan on spending another $1500. to re-furbish it. Less if you can do the LC chambers/bellows yourself.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I agree with Dragan.

The Marquee will win hands down on black level and motion resolution though, so for the added cost of refurbishing Id still go the 1000 dollars more and get the marquee. I can deal with black levels not where they should be but motion resolution and blurrrrrrrrr kills it for me.

Athanasios

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts

Quote:
I want it all but not all the routine headaches Smile.

As someone who has recently transitioned from a CRT to digital I would suggest that you go with the Epson. If you are tired of the calibrations, adjustments, and "routine headaches" that are required for optimal performance then go with the set-and-forget digital.

Quote:
The Marquee will win hands down on black level and motion resolution though

True. I am assuming that David would be demoing the digital unit or would order from online sources who have excellent return policies. I was able to demo my LG risk-free for a few hours before deciding to keep the unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts