AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past several months I have been slowly narrowing down my choices among Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, JVC and Sharp. I have been focusing on 37" and 42" models. I have been open to either LCD or plasma.

My viewing habits are approximately 50-50 between SD and HD, so I want to be sure that I end up with a set that doesn't totally "kill" SD. I have been impressed with the high end Sony's ability to handle SD and I haven't been able to evaluate the other set's ability to do SD, although on this forum I have read many readers' positive comments about Panny in this regard, particularly with the Ed sets.

I had been eagerly awaiting the introduction of the Sony XS955 series as I wanted to compare it against the other sets that compete against it. As has been reported on AVS these Sony's have hit the B&M stores, so I made my visit.

Frankly, I only really care about how the picture looks to me. Styling and features are not critical to me as I am flexible in these areas. Having a cable card is a bonus. I will not be using the sets as a computer monitor nor will I be watching DVD's on this set. I don't care where the speakers are. I don't mind spending 3-4k as long as I feel I have one of the best sets on the market. It will be connected to a COMCAST HD box.

I have read with much interest the discussions of ED vs. HD. There is no absolutely correct answer to this debate in my view. different people have different needs and different budgets. For me, if I am going to hold on to this set for several years I want the best picture I can get. I fear that when I am watching an HD signal I would always be somewhat dissatisfied with an ED set, particularly if I am within 10' of the set.

I spent a fair amount of time comparing the two Sony XS955's (37" & 42") against the manufacturers mentioned above. Granted, I was viewing that canned BB signal and there is always a question about how the sets are adjusted, but you can still gain an impression.

As is oft stated, impressions are subjective. I must admit that no matter where I go I think the Sharp LCD's have the best all around picture and I haven't even seen their 6U series yet.

Well, I would have to rank the sets in the below order. It is merely my personal view of the best picture of the 37"-42" sets I have seen (and I have seen these about a dozen times).

1. Sharp 37G4U

2. Sony 37XS955

3. Toshiba 42HP83P

4. Panasonic 37PX25U

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Ah, only the Toshiba is a decent size (42"). Most 37" screens do NOT have the 1024x768 resolution so why buy a smaller set when it's basically the same price? PS - I am a happy owner of the 42HP83. My recommendation is that you buy one of them now before all the 83's are GONE and you have to pay an extra $600 for the 84 model.

· Registered
1,626 Posts
Correction, sirs...the Sharp LC37G4U is 1366X768 ! The ED vs HD dilemna....no answer here but why would you want to buy something that will not be at the leading edge in 3 years? ED may be cheaper but it is in fact ED Meaning 480P is the best it can display. I hear all these people talking about good certain units are and "it's only ED". For those that cannot tell the difference between ED and HD....just wait until the switch is thrown to total HD.

· Registered
395 Posts
thanks for the correction.

and Mark, there's a 37'' LCD from Syntax coming out in about a month that will do 1920x1080. I asked the same question about a similar LCD from Sharp just the other day, but haven't heard anything. While I'd pay a little more for Sharp quality, if the Syntax is decent I'll probably go with it to get the resolution.

The Sharp 45'' is 1920x1080, but that's too big and too rich for my needs.

· Registered
27 Posts
Hey BobDobalina.....what is the estimated price of the 37" Syntax? I am getting close to getting the Sharp LC-37GD6U, but, now am wondering if I should wait? Problem is, looks like the Syntax has side speakers, which would be a deal breaker for me (will not fix in my cabinet).

Anyway, just curious as to the price, if not to purchase the Syntax, but maybe to help drive the 37" Sharp prices lower.

Thanks,

Patrick

· Registered
395 Posts
I've heard an MSRP of under $3000, which means street price should be at least a couple-hundred bucks beneath the $3,000 mark.

re: the side speakers, I don't think they're removable, at least it doesn't look that way from the picture on their site, but they may have different models available. I'm somewhat in the same boat, with an entertainment center with a 36'' opening, but I'm lucky that it widens after the initial opening, so I plan to basically put it in there pushed back a few inches and, with any luck, it'll fit!

I'm definitely going to wait. I don't see Sharp making a big price drop to compete with Syntax, but I'd like to see how the Syntax shapes up before I pull the trigger. The ability to do 1080p is a nice bonus for me, assuming the TV can still do 480p and 720p well!

· Registered
691 Posts
I just bought the Toshiba 42HP84 and it is great. Cable is watchable, DVDs are fantastic. Am looking into getting Cable HD within a month or two. Whatever you decide, use your own eyes, and buy it someplace with a trial period so that if you don't like it once you get it home, you can return it.

Best of luck.

Mike52

· Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike52
I just bought the Toshiba 42HP84 and it is great. Cable is watchable, DVDs are fantastic. Am looking into getting Cable HD within a month or two. Whatever you decide, use your own eyes, and buy it someplace with a trial period so that if you don't like it once you get it home, you can return it.

Best of luck.

Mike52
What? How could you do this to me? We were so close as well! :( :D

· Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
Mike 53

Are there any plans for a 1920x1080 LCD display in the 26-37 inch size?
Nothing in the works, Mark. (At least nothing they have shared with me)

We had a great conversation yesterday re: PC use and panels. Our US guys understand a little more now.

· Registered
1,461 Posts
I didn't see any ED's in the original posters list and he has already stated why he isn't interested in ED. Why don't people READ the post they are responding too? I guess in some ways I'm also at fault since I didn't realize that two of the 37" units were/are LCD instead of Plasma. That in itself brings in a new set of complications. LCD's inheritly have higher resolutions due to their actual physical design. Of course, they are also considerably more money in a smaller form factor. LCD's are also better in well lite room and are usually too bright in typical Home Theater environments. These are factors that should be driving your determination rather than the resolution capacities IMHO. One thing the "resolution chasers" often don't realize until after they actually have the unit in their homes is that the smaller the screen is, the less important the higher resolutions are. This is important in PC-based applications. Just because an LCD "can" display 1920 does NOT mean that it SHOULD! Unless you LIKE seeing text in teenie-tiny fonts that is...

· Registered
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike53
What? How could you do this to me? We were so close as well! :( :D
Hi Mike53. How could I do what? Buy a plasma? Buy a Toshiba? Not invite you over? What?

Family can sometimes be a pain, can't it.;)

Mom always like you best.:mad:

Mike52

· Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike52
Hi Mike53. How could I do what? Buy a plasma? Buy a Toshiba? Not invite you over? What?

Family can sometimes be a pain, can't it.;)

Mom always like you best.:mad:

Mike52
Just teasin' ya! Enjoy your purchase. My friends at Toshiba will be pleased.....:(

· Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ndabunka
I didn't see any ED's in the original posters list and he has already stated why he isn't interested in ED. Why don't people READ the post they are responding too? I guess in some ways I'm also at fault since I didn't realize that two of the 37" units were/are LCD instead of Plasma. That in itself brings in a new set of complications. LCD's inheritly have higher resolutions due to their actual physical design. Of course, they are also considerably more money in a smaller form factor. LCD's are also better in well lite room and are usually too bright in typical Home Theater environments. These are factors that should be driving your determination rather than the resolution capacities IMHO. One thing the "resolution chasers" often don't realize until after they actually have the unit in their homes is that the smaller the screen is, the less important the higher resolutions are. This is important in PC-based applications. Just because an LCD "can" display 1920 does NOT mean that it SHOULD! Unless you LIKE seeing text in teenie-tiny fonts that is...
Thank you for your diligence. The original poster did indeed mention ED.:rolleyes:

· Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ndabunka
One need not want to have to use reading glasses to want high resolutions. A high resolution does not inherantly mean things will be smaller, whether being used as a PC display or as a TV. An object on a 1080i broadcast will not be any smaller than it would on a 480p broadcast, but will be rendered more than twice as well. And, for use as a PC display, you can enable large fonts or otherwise adjust settings to make things larger. Beyond that, I run my 17'' LCD at 1280x1024, which in terms of scaling isn't far off from 1080i/p, and so doing 1900x1080 on a 37'' display should be just fine, no?

But, you're spot-on regarding the coloring and brightness shortcomings of LCDs. However, their lack of burn-in and general longer life, not to mention weight, give them plenty of advantages too.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am the "original poster" and, while I did mention ED, I did so in the context of saying I was not considering one because for me, it doesn't makes sense for my situation. I don't want to be sitting there watching HD in a year realizing that my picture could be better. That doesn't make ED bad, it only is a commentary on my situation.

It is interesting to see how these threads meander. I began this thread sharing the fact that I was trying to decide amongst the 4 sets I mentioned. It is an eclectic list as it includes both LCD and plasma. I don't know a whole lot about specs, I am mostly focusing on what pictures look best to me. In this case my eyes are telling me that the Sharp LCD's look best. I just wish they weren't so expensive!

· Registered
25 Posts
I have both the 37PWD6UY Panny ED and the Sharp 32GD4U. Each was ordered online from different companies without problem. They are hooked up to COX digital/HD cable. Both display good SD and great HD content. Subjectively, I believe that the Panny has the edge in SD and the Sharp has the edge in HD. DVDs look great on the Panny. I haven't tried DVDs on the Sharp yet. As has been stated in many forum posts the plasma's blacks and viewing angles are clearly superior to the LCD. If you have several people in your household of varing technical knowledge and concern (read wife and kids), the LCD is relatively burn-in worry free, while the plasma needs to be tweeked to "JUST" or "ZOOM" for SD content to reduce the chance of burn-in. I hope this helps wiht your decision.

Al

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.