AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to compare an amp and pre/pro to a receiver to see if there was a big jump in quality of sound. I have the itch to move up from my Denon AVR-3200 to an amp and pre/pro (thinking about the Outlaw 990/7125).

Went to a couple of high end audio stores...receivers in one room, amps pre/pro in another. No way to do an A-B comparison. Why do they do that? :confused:

[BTW listened to a Krell amp and processor (about $9000 MSRP) and was somewhat underwhelmed (Polk speakers). Sounded harsh to me when compared to my Klipsch's (KLF-30's).]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ask them to pick up the gear and move it into the other room. They'll do it.

-Joe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried...no dice. Suggested I go to their sister store (different name, run by same company) to do the comparison. Guess what? Same setup.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My local hi-end dealer let me bring in my own equipment to justify spending lots of my cash in his store. I would find another dealer that WANTS your business. Simple as that.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My local hi-end dealer let me bring in my own equipment to justify spending lots of my cash in his store. I would find another dealer that WANTS your business. Simple as that.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
There are stores here in Sydney that allow one to call in advance and tell them what gear you have and what your interested in, they'll try and set up a listening room for you using the closest match to your gear if they don't have the same and then they leave you alone to listen and you can compare. So far I've only come across one of these stores... keep looking, you may find a gem of a store.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow I've not had a store not move gear around if I asked them. I wouldn't buy anything from them, probably tell them that as I was leaving as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't moving receivers from room to room involve a lot of work? Making the connections and setting the speaker levels would take take at least a half hour.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
It's not that much work though if it's a boutique store and you call in advance, they have quite a number of skilled and infomred staff usually that need something to do anyway, managers don't like staff just twiddling their thumbs waiting for the next person to walk through the door so they are more than happy to move equipment around.

The store I was referring to has 28 listening rooms each with about 5-10 pairs of speakers in them, they just move the source components around.

If say you were looking for a good pair of speakers then you'd only need for them to have say a comparable CD player and Amp/Pre/Pro or AVR setup in the room, that takes very little time, maybe 10minutes max. If you are looking for a surround sound package then it's different.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.