AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,750 Posts
@chucky7 thanks for the new video comparison, The time you're taking here is very much appreciated by this bass-junky!

Visually, the difference in cone movement between the 2 subs "appears" less (at least on video,it may look different in person) Setting the JTRs LFA dial to minimum seems to have bought them a bit more in line

That said,the cones on the big JTR still move more than the Rythmiks, and I'd guess that has something to do with it having considerably more output under ~15Hz in your room (with Audyssey OFF)

Thanks again brother,hope this has been a fun week for you?
Do you have a working subwoofer yet?

·
Registered
5,768 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Do you have a working subwoofer yet?
Hey Bear!

I have 1 normally functioning SubMersive (that I purchased pre-owned from a friend over here - that has been excellent!) and still have the other (damaged in transit,with a faulty amp) that I purchased from Mark. It's currently only used as a stand for my left speaker. I keep it turned off as it only works intermittently and I keep having to adjust my sub level depending whether it decides to work on not. I looked into getting the amp fixed,but no one local to me is interested in working on "plate amps", probably because all the ones they often see over here are low quality from cheapy subs from the big box movers over here and the cost of sending it back to SpeakerPower for repair is worth more than the amp itself

Jamie

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
This is the FR of the DUT, level-matched and Audyssey off...

Center channel:

Sub Only:
Oh nice!! they are much closer in those graphs than the "Audyssey OFF" graph posted earlier, almost identical down to 10Hz

Really hope you get a chance to run them together in various locations to see what kind of response will be possible when you get your 2nd 4000ULF (it is your destiny - you know that - right???)

·
Registered
19,276 Posts
This is the FR of the DUT, level-matched and Audyssey off...

Center channel:

Sub Only:
Chucky7,
The effort and time for you to do this is great! Everybody who owns subs that cost substantially should take the time to do this. It really can get the best out of your sub. Again, thank you, and keep on thumping!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #207 (Edited)
So how did the FV25HP sound?

Well, it is just like what bulls and I discovered during the micro GTG. With the LFA at the minimum, the Cap 4000ULF playing certain bass demo clips is indistinguishable from the FV25HP in low damping, and rumble filter off. When I recorded the last comparison videos, I was at my desk (also in the HT) which has more energy accumulation than at the MLP. What the videos couldn't show was that the footsteps in Underworld: Awakening - Werebeast scene had a lot of weight and presence. Both subs executed the footsteps with aplomb. Since I did several takes on the videos, I had to double check which sub was playing.

However, I don't watch movies in my HT sitting at my desk. I am also pretty certain that no JTR sub owners would use the sub(s) with the LF Adjust at the minimum. This is why when we watched Justin Bieber - Baby MV, bulls immediately noticed that something was off. I have since compared the Cap 4000ULF (LFA @ 5/10) and the FV25HP (low damping, rumble filter off) with that music video extensively. I felt that the FV25HP traded some chair kicks and rumble for chest slam. That is fine for a MV. When it comes to explosions or building crumbling in movies, I want my chair to tremble and the floor to rumble. The Cap 4000ULF's LF Adjust accentuates TR like a woman with excellent make-up skills. She may get out of bed a mere 5, but give her some time to do her thing, she can be a 10. Then the sub's generous port wind is a constant reminder that it's a lean mean wind machine. It's these extra ambience altering capabilities that make us watch the same bass scenes again and again.

So how did the FV25HP sound? It sounded really really good. If I were switching from a FV25HP, it wouldn't be because of its SQ, or that it struggled in certain extremely demanding scenes.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I am blown away by the fact that the Rythmic can even be compared to the 4000 much less compete this evenly. Especially for a dual 15”..... very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: rossandwendy

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I don't think the FV25 is competing at all...It just appears that way because it's a very powerful sub. the 4000 likely has much more room to go louder if need be. Chuck's testing isn't max output. The thing is both subs have more then enough output for most rooms and listening levels.

Good point... but I did look at Data-bass.com and compares very well and in some ways is better than my Captivator S2 and presumably my RS2 below 20Hz.

Reactions: rossandwendy

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
Good point... but I did look at Data-bass.com and compares very well and in some ways is better than my Captivator S2 and presumably my RS2 below 20Hz.

That's because it's ported. The upcoming G28 would be a more natural comparison to your S2/RS2. That's going to be a dual opposed 18 inch sealed subwoofer, the bigger brother of the G25HP. I would expect the RS2 would have more output, but they cost more.

·
Registered
19,276 Posts

As output goes it is only more at and slightly above tune. You have twice as much above the tune and below 10hz it won't be close. Add a little boost and you can have what the ported has at tune and much more below.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
The Rythmik drivers most assuredly will move a LOT. If you haven't seen them do 2" peak to peak they haven't been pushed very hard.
Wow, 2” peak to peak, didn’t know Rythmik driver is that capable.

I should have taken some video while I was testing them.
That would be fun to watch. Please do so with your subs testing, perhaps with the upcoming Rythmik FV28?
We all appreciate the work you do and we all love to see numbers, graphs and videos. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Wow, 2" peak to peak, didn’t know Rythmik driver is that capable.
The Rythmik DS1520 driver's X-max is 20mm, so 2" peak to peak is reasonable.

The driver in the Cap 4000ULF has a 33mm X-max and more than 4" peak to peak.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Here is something interesting. There is a thread on audioholics forum comparing FV15HP vs a PB3000. Talking about fanboyism. Just read this below I copied over where someone compared a FV18 to Cap 2400. and that too with the ULF version. I have heard both and own the FV18, no way I agree with what this guy says. I posted here to show how fab boys are everywhere for every brand and as entertainment.

What’s very interesting is people don’t Truly understand newer Fv15hp.
All the numbers on data bass and here on Audioholics are of the older version. Older driver and smaller 3.5” ports that even have a different shape.

The newer Fv15hp uses a better driver a twin 4” ports. From 16-25hz the Fv15hp will still have more tr than 1200xs and above 25hit’ll have 2-4 more dB.

Now here is the fun part, spl in room numbers.
In my room Fv15hp

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Newer Fv15hp will have less port noise with 1-4db more output than older version.

I like the jtr subs but I did a direct comparison with a cap24000ulf vs fv18 rev2 paper and Rythmik had more output and sounded better. I even had more output at 10hz with fv18. Cap2400 was fun though but made some unpleasant noises at times and wasn’t nice enough looking to justify keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Here is something interesting. There is a thread on audioholics forum comparing FV15HP vs a PB3000. Talking about fanboyism. Just read this below I copied over where someone compared a FV18 to Cap 2400. and that too with the ULF version. I have heard both and own the FV18, no way I agree with what this guy says. I posted here to show how fab boys are everywhere for every brand and as entertainment.

I wonder if he is this guy
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1214550-official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread-1041.html#post55077090
I haven't seen him post here in a long time

He often quoted in-room spl numbers,owned Canton speakers and tested/owned of many,many, many different subs ...could just be a coincident though

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Reactions: jamiebosco

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hey mate. That link didn’t work for me. I copied that from audioholics, not sure if he is a avsforum member or for banned or something

Hi Ray,try the link I just posted now, I think he was maybe suspended for a little while or just took a break from the site as he used to post here heaps,he had a bit of a falling out in the PSA thread I think, user name is Timothy1180

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Hi Ray,try the link I just posted now, I think he was maybe suspended for a little while or just took a break from the site as he used to post here heaps,he had a bit of a falling out in the PSA thread I think, user name is Timothy1180

Ah yes. I remember him. He was also one that made claims about Onkyo being the best receivers or some other stuff like that. It is possible it’s the same person.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Measurements in OP are invalid. FV25HP has rumble filter engaged, which reduces output below 18Hz. That's why you see the slope fall away so quickly.

It's not needed unless you're going for max output or to protect the drivers during EOT...

201 - 220 of 281 Posts