1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a 568 and now having 2 choices :

-upgrading 568.2MM + buy a 598 DP

- Sell my 568 and buy a combo lexicon MC8 + their new dvd player (SACD/DVDA/etc...)

My speakers are : Nautilus 804 + HTM1+ 4 805

Majority of my time is seeing DVD's but sometimes listening CD's. I have difficulties to compare these 2 systems(no shops here have both or do not want to make comparisons), but I am asking your help. Which system will be the best in Hometheater + music ? as lex has done let of efforts on music.

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
202 Posts
common now- the meridian processor all the way. Full digital out from the dvd to the processor. All you have to do is replace your B&Ws with some meridian DSP speakers and you will have a full digitial all the way to your speakers! No brainer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lool..this is strange ..I posted the same message on other forums, and all said the same ...to sell my mautilus and buy something else, instead of upgrading my system ... But I love my nautilus :cool:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with audionut that the true bottleneck in your system right now is the speakers. Meridian is the only one I know of who does the DAC and amp in the speaker. This is where everything will go eventually, but right now it is pricey.

Tim

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The advantage of Meridian speakers is not just in the fact that it is digital all the way to the amplifier in the speakers. But also the fact it utilizes digital crossover for each of the driver, along with different DAC implementation for each of the driver, optimizing it for that sound range.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
The Lexicon has the better feature set, but you simply can't beat the Meridian sound (or lack there of). If you consider going all digital, you will have huge gains in performance. I just had a customer with a $30K Krell/B&W N800 system take back his system after hearing the Meridian DSP5500s which retail for $2K less AND have all the electronics and cabling "thrown in". Your speakers are fine, but if you stick with Meridian, the doors to an all digital system is there. Quite frankly, if you add up all the money you probably have in amps, speaker wires, interconnects and speakers, you are easily in all digital territory. Doesn't mean you have to switch, just that you *could*. Meridian is the antidote to "high-end" sound. You haven't heard music until you've heard it without crossovers.

John

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I'd chose upgrading the Meridian over the Lexicon. I don't agree with the Meridian speaker recommendation. As soon as the digital part of the speakers becomes obsolete that's just one more thing you'll have to shell out cash to have upgraded. Also, I prefer the Natilus line to the Meridian speakers. I guess I'm in the minority but I don't like the sound of the Meridian speakers as much as conventional speakers.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm with Bulldogger, my experience when listening to Meridian speakers indicates they are not to my liking either.

Meridian makes great digital prepro gear, but speakers are not their forte.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys... I am happy not beeing the only one who likes nautilus, I will listen the meridian speakers next week, but you are right, if there are any new upgrades, then this will be done from the source to the speakers, so looooootttttt of money again for mister Meridian. ;-)

Thanks again for your advices

·
Registered
81 Posts
i would go foe Lex.

5.1 inputs are very important.

598 is good DVD player but doesn't worth it's price (as a video source).

with meridian it became too expensive and still limited features (right, unless you gor for 800/860).

Lexicon's sound is great and no way it's worse than Meridian.

some people will say "less musical". i personally don't feel so.

Gennady

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Croc
598 is good DVD player but doesn't worth it's price (as a video source).

with meridian it became too expensive and still limited features (right, unless you gor for 800/860).
Yep, can you tell me which CD/DVD esoterik player worth it's money ? none.... for 5% better sound, manufacturers increase a lot the price. This is a game, and if people are ok to pay $15000 just for one CD player, then why to stop ? but this is another story ;)

If I stay with my meridian processor, then I may go to the 596 or 598, if I sell it, I surely go to lex...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Nobody is saying you have to get Meridian speakers, but if you into those boxy speaker sound, then you have to weigh the digital crossover and 5+ way amplification each speaker has. I personally would not get Meridian or Natulis speakers because I prefer Magnepans.

The speakers might need upgrade to support new digital technology, but what is going to come out beyond 24/192 in the near to medium future? Plus, unless you are one of those people that keep their amp for 20 years, you would probably end up upgrading that a few times (and it would be alot of amp if you quad/quint-amplify your speaker like Meridian does theirs.

Meridian transports are designed and build by Meridian from scratch, not a tweaked mid-fi model, plus they would also allow digital all the way to the speaker for DVD-A.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a question for you ...

Some are saying that taking all meridian, will allow me to have a full digital process from the source to the speakers, well this sounds good, but correct me if I am wrong, the amp connected to the meridian speakers, are digital or analog ? it seems that there are analog, then there is a conversion digital/analog....so not all is fully digital.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Lwang,

"but what is going to come out beyond 24/192 in the near to medium future? "

DSD.

"Meridian transports are designed and build by Meridian from scratch,"

The 800 uses a computer DVD-ROM drive... that is hardly designed and built from scratch.

Shawn

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Shawn said:
Quote:
The 800 uses a computer DVD-ROM drive... that is hardly designed and built from scratch.
C'mon Shawn, you're a far smarter guy than this post illustrates.

You know full well the point of the post, which is that Meridian is not using an OEM kit to deliver their players.

Very few high end manufacturers aren't using an OEM kit for their DVD player solution, Meridian is one of the few that designs and builds their players from the ground up. Why should Meridian invest in the infrastructure to build their own mechanisms? How many other companies that aren't one of the electronics giants utilize a homebuilt mechanism? The DVD-ROM drive is an inexpensive and highly effective solution to the problem of getting the bits off the media. It's what you do with the bits that's important after all, reading them correctly is just the beginning.

After that, let's talk about the work that goes into something like the 598DP vs another high end player, like the Lexicon (RT-12 maybe?? although I'm not certain of the model #). Woo Hoo, yet another Pioneer DV-47A variation available, this time with the Lexicon badge on the front! Where do I sign up?

As far as DSD goes, nothing prevents Meridian from taking a DSD bitstream and performing a homegrown form of Super Bitmapping Direct to create a PCM bitstream that can be handled quite competently in their product lineup.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
John,

If someone says a transport (IOW the part of the unit that is reading the bits) 'are designed and build by Meridian from scratch' I'm sorry but that implies that it is designed and built from scratch.

Using an off the shelf computers DVD-ROM as your transport is hardly 'designed and built... from scratch.'

"Why should Meridian invest in the infrastructure to build their own mechanisms?"

I never said they should, I was pointing out that another persons saying this is what they do is wrong.

" nothing prevents Meridian from taking a DSD bitstream and performing a homegrown form of Super Bitmapping Direct to create a PCM bitstream that can be handled quite competently in their product lineup. "

Sure, they could do that.... though you and I both know some DSD proponents are going to object to that, not that I agree with that objection either.

But since Meridian is the 'M' behind the MLP, politics may play some role in that arriving or not.

Shawn

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Shawn,

It's nice to see you revelling in the semantics game this morning.... I just expected better from you than to play this particular game. Fine. No one builds a player from scratch, this would require that they manufacture every component utilized. You can continue to play the semantics game though, if you really want to.

As far as the DSD --> PCM route, since the vast majority of DSD recordings have gone through Sonoma (8bit/64fs) and Pyramix (32bit/8fs) stations, they've already been "denigrated" by touching that evil PCM stuff. Ick... Eww... Ptui... Sorry couldn't resist that one :)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I owned the MC12B for about two years, and after extensive listening around, replaced it with the 598DP/568.2mm combo. The rest of my system consists of Llano tube/ss hybrid amps and Waveform speakers all around -- it's a revealing setup. I feel I know the MC12B's perf. extremely well. Here are my impressions:

The Meridian combo is a major cut above the Lex. for 2 channel music performance, and I prefer Trifield to Logic 7 when converting stereo to multichannel. This is primarily why I made the switch.

DVD-A sounds fantastic w/the 568.2mm/598 combo, and because of the digital connection and Meridian's knowledge of the format, probably as good as this format gets right now excepting the 800/861 combo. Being locked out of SACD at the moment stinks, but will not be a deal-breaker to me until far more software is out.

I wasn't able to compare movie performance between the two side by side so I won't comment on that. Suffice to say I am very happy with the HT performance of the Meridian, and was with the Lex. as well.

The ergonomics of the Lex. are far superior, although the Meridian Smartlink is handy in the way it 'knows' what kind of disc you are playing and goes to your preset playback mode automatically. As I try not to fiddle around too much w/settings once I've established them, the usability shortcomings of the Meridians are an annoyance but also not a deal-breaker.

The Meridian lacks video switching (would have to spring for a 562v3 which is $2700 msrp) and 12v triggers, both of which I miss. For $200, I may buy an Audio Authority component switcher that auto-senses to get around the former issue.

After extensive listening around, I've come to believe that upsampling when well implemented (as it is in the Meridian) improves sound quality.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Carl Sagan once said: "To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." So in essence anyone who uses the phrase "from scratch" has automatically entered him/herself into a semantic pissing contest.

If the Meridian 800 approach is considered "from scratch", what's to prevent someone from using an HTPC in the same manner, and claiming the same thing? Older Meridian products were more "from scratch" than the 800, where they'd write the servo control code for the drive, build their own drawer and sled, etc. Even engineering lightweights like Madrigal, Krell, and others afflicted with blue LED neuroses were more "from scratch" than the Meridian 800 where they'd machine many parts of the physical transport themselves. And the rubber-belted CEC machines? Definitely scratchier than any old PC-spec DVD-ROM drive. Or Philips DVD machines must surely be the best since, by definition, they are "from scratch".

The real question one has to ask is not, "Who is closer to the Creator in optical drives?", but "What is the real world performance of the final result of the entire system?" And in that regard, the Meridian 800 has few peers. Creating one's drives "from scratch" has little meaning unless there is solid engineering reason for doing so, and so this attribute, taken alone, can be relegated to the same worthless pile that contains "power supply size", "fully symmetric balanced topology", "fast woofers", "looks like analog", "build quality", and other irrelevant audiophile features whose only real effects are to provoke pissing contest and confuse shenanigans for real engineering.

--Andre

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.