AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning my next sub "upgrade" (coming from captivators its more of a lateral move).
Everyone talks about ported being so much better above tuning but I am just not seeing it in my models.

Using just 600 watts into 4' cu with a linkwitz tranformer from 40-20 and a 1st order hpf at 10hz I am able to get the RSS460-HO to model almost identical to a HT-18 in a much larger box (9'c INTERNAL!) at 17 hz tune AND using nearly twice the power (1100w..)

Am I missing something in my numbers?

EDIT - I realize WinISD is using 2 woofers in that model...

Only 600 watts for 2 woofers??!

If I us it to 3 woofers in 7 cu with 1100w (8ohms 1 side of an inuke) it absolutely KILLS the SI...

I guess this is the trade off? the $$ for the woofers?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Look at cone excursion, are you trying to get 100mm excursion?
Nope the excursion is less with the sealed in the audible region...

Again this was only 600 watts into 2 woofers

Here is 2 daytons in 7cu with a system Q around .7 and 1100w

Attachments

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
That's $500 worth of drivers vs $175. For $500 I'd get an HST18. Model that in 9cuft with 2000 watts from an Inuke3000dsp. Did you try the same dual driver box with the SI18s? They are $75 less each, and then you could use the full power of the inuke with a 4ohm load.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That's $500 worth of drivers vs $175. For $500 I'd get an HST18. Model that in 9cuft with 2000 watts from an Inuke3000dsp. Did you try the same dual driver box with the SI18s? They are $75 less each, and then you could use the full power of the inuke with a 4ohm load.
I have no interest in high inductance drivers so the hst is out...

Goal is lower power and better top end

I definitely need to understand linkwitz better though. Seems like you can only use it MINIMALLY and then still need a HPF

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Look at the Apparent amplifier load power graph. You're actually giving the drivers over 1400 watts, not 600. It'd be even higher without the high pass filter. To raise the SPL level, the LT has to increase the power sent to the driver; there's no magic there. Reduce the Signal from 600W to 250W, and that will show you the performance on the SPL graph with that response and a peak of 600W.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't understand that...

But if the excursion is kept in check what's the problem?
I think rhodesj means is that the extra needed for the boost you applied will require 1400w to work correctly. So, theoretically you are comparing a 600w model vs a 1400w model

1 - 14 of 14 Posts