AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, I am pondering the thought to purchase a DLP projector. I was wondering if the 9000 Sharp DLP compared to a quirky Vidikron Projector would be a good move? Many suggestions would be appreciated.

I currently have a 92" Clarion Draper Screen ( Matte White)

Would I also have to change to a Greyhawk or Firehawk?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Hi

CRT still has the best image to date. Very rich in picture quality.

Digital is catching up but still not there. As you know crt is very high maintanence verses the plug and play of digital projectors.

Next week is infocom and if time is on your side I would wait the next generation digital machines are about to be anounced.

I would also concider the new Dwin that ships this month verses the sharp.

Should cost about the same.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello ApoDoc

I own a Sharp XVZ-9000E and have seen the Vidikron Vision 2 recently.

So I probably can give you some information.

The Vidikron will give you the better image! Obviously I would like to tell you something different but the Sharp is no match.

On the other hand there are advantages:

smaller,plug&play ;-) you'll have to do some tweaking at the beginning but then your fine.

More brightness = larger screen

IMHO you need a 110'' Firehawk screen too. The blacks won't be as good as your Vidikron but due to the fact that you can have a bigger screen and the image will have similar brightness, this could be a trade-off you are willing to pay.

Use a progressiv dvd-player with Faroudja DCDi or Silicon Image SI503/SI504 chip or if using external sources (LD,VHS,Dish.....)

maybe a scaler/deinterlacer could be a good match (NRS,CS-1...)

Overall I'm very happy with my Sharp. Adding the devices mentioned above will give you a great image.

You only mentioned the Sharp. Maybe a Seleco HT300,Marantz 12S1 or Dwin should be considered too.

Cheers

Anthony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.