AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another comparing receivers thread:

Going to purchase a receiver in the next 3-4 weeks...

Will be running a projector, DVD, CD player, Xbox, Directv box, Possibly later Blue Ray, and whatever else. I've got 7 good infinity speakers and Epson 8350 projector. I want the best sound/ picture possible, within a reasonable price. I want to keep it around $400. I've found 3 that I THINK are good.

SONY STRDH810
http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_...prod_ID~25244#

ONKYO TXSR508
http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_...prod_ID~25381#

YAMAHA RXV567BL
http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_...~prod_ID~25998

I'm mainly looking at the Sony and Onkyo, because the Yamaha is pretty expensive. If there are other ones that might be better, I would appreciate a link.

To me, the Onkyo seems good, except it seems that model has flashing light problems.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would trust Yamaha over Sony. That's not a dealer I recognize from the authorized dealer list though?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a local place by me. I get a discount.

Might seem ignorant, but can I go wrong if I get a receiver by a respectable company that's 7.1 channel, 3 HDMI, THD below .1? Don't really know the difference between Dolby TruHD and Dolby digiatal and all that. Is there something specific I should look for?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1131 /forum/post/19579625

Might seem ignorant, but can I go wrong if I get a receiver by a respectable company that's 7.1 channel, 3 HDMI, THD below .1? Don't really know the difference between Dolby TruHD and Dolby digiatal and all that. Is there something specific I should look for?

IMO, they (the big makers) all make pretty good units. There's been the occasional issues with some models from some makers. Honestly, and don't take this too seriously, I would avoid Onkyo, because I read about SO many issues posted from Onkyo owners, with early failures.

I think Sony is a bit of a weaker brand.

For budget receivers, Pioneer and Yamaha seem pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
93,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1131

Whereever you purchase, either make sure they are an authorized reseller (as listed on the mfr's website ... don't take the resellers word for it) or else get a 3rd party extended warranty (eg. Squaretrade). ABCWarehouse is a Denon authorized reseller although they only seem to sell the 3 digit consumer models. Check out the 791 or last year's 790 (if 3D is not a near term requirement) if still in stock. Although if they don't deal below their listed website prices, you're better served going to one of the other authorized vendors (eg. Electronics Expo, 6Ave, or J&R) which sell the better 4 digit models (ie 1611, 1911 or last year's 1910).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.