AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in hearing comparisons between 1080p Plasma TVs and the Sharp 92/93 series of LCDs.


I saw the Panasonic 65 in. 1080p plasma both the Pioneer 50 in. 1080p plasma as

well as the "new technology" 60 in. Pioneer ( with claimed CR of over 20,000:1 ) at

CES last week.


The "new technology" Pioneer looked noticably better than the current

technology Pioneer but the new Sharp 92 series of LCDs looked just as

good to me with exceptionally good shadow detail...


I am very interested in hearing comparisons from others who have seen them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,531 Posts
Outside of the controlled environment (cherry picked displays?) at CES, no one has seen these new models. The displays on the show floor may or may not be representative of what we actually see in the stores.


If/when you do buy the Sharp D92, I'm anxious to hear how you think it compares to your existing 61" 1080p DLP.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/0


Outside of the controlled environment (cherry picked displays?) at CES, no one has seen these new models. The displays on the show floor may or may not be representative of what we actually see in the stores.


If/when you do buy the Sharp D92, I'm anxious to hear how you think it compares to your existing 61" 1080p DLP.

From what I saw at CES, the Sharp 92 series appears to have signficantly more

shadow detail, brightness, better viewing angle, no perceivable judder, no dithering

in dark scenes, etc. Overall much better PQ...


But the reason I want to compare to 1080p Plasma is because up to until

the Sharp 92 series, I never saw an LCD that had better shadow detail before...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce /forum/post/0


From what I saw at CES, the Sharp 92 series appears to have signficantly more

shadow detail, brightness, better viewing angle, no perceivable judder, no dithering

in dark scenes, etc. Overall much better PQ...


But the reason I want to compare to 1080p Plasma is because up to until

the Sharp 92 series, I never saw an LCD that had better shadow detail before...


You really thought the 92 series had better viewing angles then the 62 series?


Do you mean better then the 46'' and 52'' 62 series or the 42'' 62 series?



The Sharp 92 series sure sounds nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
The sharp D62's blacks are just as "black" as my Pany plasma's were.


So, if the 92's contrast ratio holds true, and the 120hz helps with motion.. they might be the LCDs able to give the better plasmas a good run..


Here's hoping..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate1975mlm /forum/post/0


You really thought the 92 series had better viewing angles then the 62 series?


Do you mean better then the 46'' and 52'' 62 series or the 42'' 62 series?



The Sharp 92 series sure sounds nice.

I was responding to the question that asked how my Samsung 61 inch. DLP compared to the Sharp 92 series LCD panel...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy_1 /forum/post/0


The sharp D62's blacks are just as "black" as my Pany plasma's were.


So, if the 92's contrast ratio holds true, and the 120hz helps with motion.. they might be the LCDs able to give the better plasmas a good run..


Here's hoping..

That is very encouraging! It was hard for me to really judge the black level

in the brightly lite showroom floor but given this situation it did look pretty good.


But is was the shadow detail really blew me away and was the best I personally have seen on a flat panel ( or any production display for that matter :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,822 Posts
Tony -


It's great that you took notice of the shadow detail.

Samsung makes a nice LCD panel but they still crush blacks, when its not necessary.

Looks like Sharp is fully utilizing its increasing dynamic range, to approach CRT.


I think it will be a matter of a month or so when we can go to a darkened room like a Magnolia or better shop and see a Pioneer plasma right next to a d92 Sharp.


There are so many advancements this year, looks like the display industry is finally catching up to the HD broadcast capabilities.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p /forum/post/0


Tony -


It's great that you took notice of the shadow detail.

Samsung makes a nice LCD panel but they still crush blacks, when its not necessary.

Looks like Sharp is fully utilizing its increasing dynamic range, to approach CRT.


I think it will be a matter of a month or so when we can go to a darkened room like a Magnolia or better shop and see a Pioneer plasma right next to a d92 Sharp.


There are so many advancements this year, looks like the display industry is finally catching up to the HD broadcast capabilities.

I agree it will be sometime before we see these side by side in the U.S. but I am

hoping some of our Plasma experts get a peak at these Sharp 92 series and give

us their honest opinion...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top