AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(first I'd like to complain that the "ods" format is not allowed. Why does this website insist on non-standard proprietary formats when open standard formats are available? Excel opens ods files just fine)
HDHR-USvsHDHR4-2US.xlsx 12k .xlsx file

The attached file is data I collected using a HDHR-US and an HDHR4-2US on three antennas aimed in 3 different directions. I recorded signal strength, signal quality and symbol quality for all channels for each tuner in each direction using the "HDHomeRun Config GUI" on Linux.

Conclusions:

The HDHR4-2US has a better tuner than the HDHR-US, but so far it pulled in only one more channel than the HDHR-US did.

The values reported jumped around much more on the HDHR-US than the HDHR4-2US,

The HDHR4-2US did not always report higher numbers than the HDHR-US, but did so more often than the reverse.

The real test will come this summer when channels 7 and 11 fade in the afternoons. (50 miles over cold water). I bought the HDHR4-2US in hopes that it can maintain reception through the fading, something that the HDHR-US can't do.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,854 Posts
DAP, where you at in San Jose? I'm out in Evergreen and all of the stations from Sutro and San Bruno are rock solid where I live regardless of time of day or weather conditions.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
(first I'd like to complain that the "ods" format is not allowed. Why does this website insist on non-standard proprietary formats when open standard formats are available? Excel opens ods files just fine)
Then put it in a .ZIP file. I believe even a Mac can open .ZIP.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1521595/comparison-between-hdhr-us-and-hdhr4-2us/0_100#post_24456666

DAP, where you at in San Jose? I'm out in Evergreen and all of the stations from Sutro and San Bruno are rock solid where I live regardless of time of day or weather conditions.

I am in the east foothills at about 500' altitude. It looks like Evergreen is on the valley floor. I think the ground clutter might filter out the low path near the water giving you a clear signal. I get 8 and 13 without any trouble, but they come overland.

·
Registered
18,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP  /t/1521595/comparison-between-hdhr-us-and-hdhr4-2us/0_20#post_24460141

I am in the east foothills at about 500' altitude. It looks like Evergreen is on the valley floor. I think the ground clutter might filter out the low path near the water giving you a clear signal. I get 8 and 13 without any trouble, but they come overland.

Interesting. I would think if you were 500' higher up than me you're reception would be at least as good as mine. My antenna is roof mounted about 30' AGL. I have a rotor but never use it. I just keep it fixed in a generally NNW orientation and everything that I'm interested in comes in just fine. The antenna is a 30 year old Winegard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm glad i found your review. I have a really bad multipath problem only parts of the year on CBS. I am using HDHR and HDHR3 and neither one is good when the multipath is bad. Perhaps I will try this HDHR4, i was waiting for it and wanted to see if anyone else had tested out multipath.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoyboy  /t/1521595/comparison-between-hdhr-us-and-hdhr4-2us/0_100#post_24545156

i'm glad i found your review. I have a really bad multipath problem only parts of the year on CBS. I am using HDHR and HDHR3 and neither one is good when the multipath is bad. Perhaps I will try this HDHR4, i was waiting for it and wanted to see if anyone else had tested out multipath.
I have not yet experienced the conditions I bought the HDHR-4 to try and fix, so I don't really have an answer yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoyboy  /t/1521595/comparison-between-hdhr-us-and-hdhr4-2us#post_24545156

Your multipath issues may be due to antenna side-lobe sensitivity. Are you using an omni directional antenna?? Are your multipath issues associated with UHF and or VHF channels.

IMHO: I would take a look at both "antennaweb.org and TVfool.com to see if your reception expectation are reasonable for the antenna that you are using.

I am running a HDHR3 in the Filth-a-delphia (Philadelphia) area, 35 miles from the antenna farm. I am using an highly directional UHF/VHF antenna rated for something like 75 miles. In my geographical location, I am between two major broadcast systems (Atlantic City and Philadelphia). The directional antenna rejects (attenuates) signals that are not within the narrow front lobe. Broadcast signals on the back-side of the antenna (Atlantic City) are not received and don't cause problems.

I used only a magnetic compass and the information from "antennaweb" to aim my antenna. One trip to the roof is all it took.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP  /t/1521595/comparison-between-hdhr-us-and-hdhr4-2us/0_100#post_24546000

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoyboy  /t/1521595/comparison-between-hdhr-us-and-hdhr4-2us/0_100#post_24545156

I have not yet experienced the conditions I bought the HDHR-4 to try and fix, so I don't really have an answer yet.

I am resurrecting this thread because I now have some more information on this subject.

I watched the Indianapolis 500 today. I had several copies of the HDHomeRun Config GUI up on my second screen monitoring CC ABC (shown as KSBW in TVfool) channel 8 from the south, and KGO on both an old original HDHR, and on the HDDR4.

Again CC ABC was rock solid, but it shares a channel with KSBW, so it is a lower bit rate. KGO I watched slowly fade through the race. The original HDHR lost signal before the end of the race, the HDHR4 started breaking up during the awards ceremony, but it never completely lost signal. It was able to show a picture even when it claimed symbol quality was 0%. But it degraded to the point of unwatchability, cutting out sound every other second. So I still do not have a solution.

I wish to point out that CC ABC is a 1 edge signal from a weaker transmitter that is further away than KGO which is LOS.

Right now, CC ABC shows 100% signal, 100% signal quality and 100% symbol quality while KGO is showing 100% signal strength, 85% signal quality and 100% symbol quality.

Since the air here was rather clear, I was able to test and disprove one of my theories. I went on my roof during the worst reception with a pair of binoculars to look at Sutro tower. There was a bit of heat distortion from my neighbours roof, but I was able to just make out Sutro tower through the haze. Besides the heat shimmer, it was undistorted, so my reception problem is not due to a double image mirage.

I am at a loss as to why I loose reception when it gets warmer during the day.

TV Fool for anyone interested: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c65becbed347

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.