AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the HTPC thing, and I know I still have a lot of tweaking to do, but so far I find the results amazing. I knew the picture I was getting from my HTPC was pretty good, but I didn't realize how good until I actually did a side by side comparison to my DVD player. I hope these photo's after resize do it justice, in full resolution the difference was amazing.

I tried to to go back and watch a movie on the DVD player the other night and I couldn't take it. It made my eyes hurt!

No post processing to these obviously, other than resize. This probably is not an identical frame to frame comparison, but it's as close as I could get with the naked eye.

The equipment:

DVD Player: Samsung DVD-HD850 Upconverting DVD player

HTPC:

CPU: P4 2.8 GHz

RAM: 1 GB

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB

Sound Card: HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1

Theatertek

ffdshow - Resize (2.0,Lanczos 2 taps, LS=1.6) and AviSynth (ColorMatrix and Fluxsmooth)

Display:

Sanyo PLV-Z4

Camera:

Digital Rebel XT w/Canon 70-200 f/4 L

Comparison #1: Lightning McQueen

DVD Player

HTPC

Comparison #2: Cars Logo

DVD Player

HTPC

Comparison #3:

DVD Player

HTPC

·
Registered
517 Posts
>> I'm new to the HTPC thing, and I know I still have a lot of tweaking to do

Ha! The jumps from "newbie" to "having just enough information to be dangerous" to "obsessed tweaker" are short. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck /forum/post/0

Cool...I've been messing around with ffdshow too. Does avsynth make that big a difference? Also, are you using VMR9 or overlay for the HTPC?

I'm using VMR9.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker /forum/post/0

>> I'm new to the HTPC thing, and I know I still have a lot of tweaking to do

Ha! The jumps from "newbie" to "having just enough information to be dangerous" to "obsessed tweaker" are short. Welcome to the club.

Thanks, and you couldn't be more correct. At one point I began to wonder if I might be having more fun tweaking than actually watching movies.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yup, and after you get the picture tweaked to your liking you sit back and admire movie after movie and then say to yourself, "gee, I wish my pc was just a little quieter so I could enjoy this fantastic picture." This will inevitably lead you to silentpcreview.com where the obsession starts all over again. My obsession for quietness runs every bit as deep.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstepnio /forum/post/0

The ffdshow pictures look typically oversharpened It's poop in and poop out.

There are obviously two camps with regards to image processing.

I'm of the camp that doesn't really care what is lost/gained from image processing, but just like what immediately seems like a more pleasing image at first glace. To me, the ffdshow enhanced image looks substantially better. I'll wager that I could get 100 people off the street as well and at least 90 of them would agree with me.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I used to dabble with ffdshow a few years ago. It was adequate and it does offer some PQ improvement over 480p players. But the thing that bothers me the most is its "digitized" look. I lived with that for awhile, then the Zenith DVB318 showed up and that is the end of me using HTPC to upconvert SD DVD movies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.