·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Hi all,

OK, stupid question.

If one gets a blue ray with a 2D to 3D conversion, does using that in conjunction with a set's built in 2D/3D adjustment enhance the depth effect of standard DVDs even further than just using a non-3D player? Not asking if it makes it closer to actual 3D as it does the depth perception.

Thanx,

Joe

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Hi all,

OK, stupid question.

If one gets a blue ray with a 2D to 3D conversion, does using that in conjunction with a set's built in 2D/3D adjustment enhance the depth effect of standard DVDs even further than just using a non-3D player? Not asking if it makes it closer to actual 3D as it does the depth perception.

Thanx,

Joe
Realtime conversion only functions with 2D sources.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Realtime conversion only functions with 2D sources.
Hi cakefoo,

But I was wondering if using the player's 2D simulation can increase the depth I would get from just using my Sony's 50w800b's simulated mode alone (by having a simulated 3D effect already fed into the television). Not tremendous, of course, but a little bit more? Or could it be overkill or result in cross talk or other types of distortion? :confused:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding again, but it sounds to me like you want to use your Blu-ray player's 2D>3D conversion, plus your TV's 2D>3D conversion, but it's not possible. The TV will see your Blu-ray player's signal as 3D, so the TV's conversion mode will be disabled.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding again, but it sounds to me like you want to use your Blu-ray player's 2D>3D conversion, plus your TV's 2D>3D conversion, but it's not possible. The TV will see your Blu-ray player's signal as 3D, so the TV's conversion mode will be disabled.
Hi cakefoo,

Yup, that was the basic question, but forgive me for wording it incorrectly. Since the TV would then be sensing a 3D signal (though simulated) know its conversion mode would be disabled but was wondering if the depth could then be enhanced further by the monitor's actual 3D user options.

Thanks so much for taking the time with this. Just looking to see if there could be a way to further enhance 2D to 3D before getting a blu ray at this time; enough titles on free on demand to keep us happy.

Joe

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Hi cakefoo,

Yup, that was the basic question, but forgive me for wording it incorrectly. Since the TV would then be sensing a 3D signal (though simulated) know its conversion mode would be disabled but was wondering if the depth could then be enhanced further by the monitor's actual 3D user options.

Thanks so much for taking the time with this. Just looking to see if there could be a way to further enhance 2D to 3D before getting a blu ray at this time; enough titles on free on demand to keep us happy.

Joe
You can probably adjust the stereo window, usually called convergence, viewpoint, or similar. It simply pushes the scene deeper beyond the screen or pulls it towards you, depending on which direction you move the slider. Adjust deeper and it will feel more epic and vast, or adjust closer and it will feel like everything is more in your face. Personal preference. :)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
You can probably adjust the stereo window, usually called convergence, viewpoint, or similar. It simply pushes the scene deeper beyond the screen or pulls it towards you, depending on which direction you move the slider. Adjust deeper and it will feel more epic and vast, or adjust closer and it will feel like everything is more in your face. Personal preference. :)
Hi cakefoo,

That is what I thought might happen but wanted to check out with others.

Yes, my Sony 50w800b has such an adjustment and at its highest (2) it is more in your face but with some cross talk. But the default setting is zero and increasing it to one does create more depth, a lot more than increasing the simulated mode the same increment.

Probably worth investing just for that. There are a few titles I would like to own as well, including that 3D anthology from the 20s to the 50s. :)

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Hi cakefoo,

That is what I thought might happen but wanted to check out with others.

Yes, my Sony 50w800b has such an adjustment and at its highest (2) it is more in your face but with some cross talk. But the default setting is zero and increasing it to one does create more depth, a lot more than increasing the simulated mode the same increment.

Probably worth investing just for that. There are a few titles I would like to own as well, including that 3D anthology from the 20s to the 50s. :)

Thanks again so much for your help.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Best IMO to turn on the monitor last after the Teranex has gone completely through its boot up -- if you don't get it to "talk" to your monitor properly you will only get that push back looking 3D without the separation between objects -- I almost sent mine back until figured out the problem. .
Technically speaking what was not right when it did not "talk" correctly? Was it not sending a 3D signal?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
This is native 3D.

Notice how the croc, the leaves and the bamboo fence are shifting independently.

This is a conversion by the Teranex, regarded by some on this forum to be the best converter. One user even claims it looks more realistic than native 3D.

Notice how it looks like a flat image that's simply turning. Other than that, the Teranex pushes the entire image back so it looks like it's floating further behind the TV screen. You can accomplish the latter effect by toying with your TV's 3D window setting, free of charge.

If I had $3K+ to throw at 3D content, I'd buy a couple hundred 3D Blu-rays instead.
I just bought a Oppo 203 BD player. I also have a JS9500 Samsung 4k TV & a Denon 6300H AVR. Question for a 4k BD can either the player or TV or AVR convert the 2D4k BD disk to 3D?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a second hand Teranex 3d and it creates 3d by distorting the right eye and a tv logo
on the bottom right is totally out of stereo alignment the Teranex 3d does not use a depthmap it is very poor
in 3d effects and my 3dbee, Tridef Media Player, and Monoprice 2d to 3d converters all
look much better 3d effects. I'm very disappointed in the Teranex 3d and wish i'd never seen the
positive reviews on this forum which convinced me to buy one.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts