AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For ChrisWiggles and mhafner since the Apocalypse Now thread isn't really the best place to discuss color resolution.

720p screenshots so I'll just spoiler-tag them. Captured in YUY2 and converted to YV12 using AviSynth. This may or may not be an optimal conversion; since it's just a matter of math I don't see any reason to suspect that pro software would do better but who knows. Both were converted to RGB using the same AviSynth script.

#1:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

#2:

#3:

#4:

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Well, I see the issues best in credits and the like where there can be saturated colors and fine detail, much more than in regular live action footage.

But there too. Example: http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/3634_4_1080p.jpg Thin white line of left red car is polluted with red. There is bleeding at least partially due to the subsampling.

With more and more BDs coming from 4K sources from Red One, Epic etc. with very high MTF in the 1080p version there will be more live action visibly affected by this subsampling. I want 4:2:2 10 bit 4K as the next standard. :) Maybe RedRay for download will offer it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.