AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

People often ask which affordable microphones I recommend for measuring their room. To answer this question I tested ten popular microphones ranging from an inexpensive DIY model to a Josephson with Microtech Gefell capsule costing $1,800, and wrote up the results for this article: Comparison of Ten Measuring Microphones . Enjoy!

--Ethan

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
What a great test...

To bad a real chamber could not have been solicited somewhere.

Results were suprising to me. I own both RS analog and digital meters. My needle sticks occasionally on the RS analog.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks for the test results Ethan. It cleary demonstrates how inaccurate the Radio Schack meters are in the higher frequencies. The Behringer really holds it's own against the more expensive mics.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/14345767

To bad a real chamber could not have been solicited somewhere.

It really wouldn't make much of a difference.

Remember: the purpose was a comparison of the various microphones, not a test of their performance.

The response curve shown is also irrelevant as the speaker used, reflections from the hard floor and (presumably) ceiling, etc. all conspire to confuse.

A "real chamber" is not difficult to achieve!
  • Go into an open field.
  • Dig a hole in the ground for the speaker.
  • Suspend the microphone above the speaker.
  • Done.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Nice article. Have you ever tested the mikes that come with an amp/reciever? I have a Denon 3806 that comes with a mike. Any idea how it stacks up? Just thinking ahead for when I get to that point.

Also, I thought the SPL meters measured DB, not frequency. Do they do both? I was thinking of using one to take a walk and readings thoughout the house prior to closing in my walls and then again after, just to get a more objective idea of the effectiveness of my sound isolation.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Very, very cool Ethan.

Frank

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Thanks, Ethan. Good to know that the money I just spent on my Behringer to have it calibrated wasn't a waste.

Chrisbee over on the Cult of the IB just did a similar test focused more on low frequency testing, but came to what sounds like a similar conclusion: clickie.

Tom - I'll lend you my testing equipment down the road if you feel like playing with REW. No need to get your own stuff.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/14345924

It really wouldn't make much of a difference. Remember: the purpose was a comparison of the various microphones

Exactly.

Quote:
A "real chamber" is not difficult to achieve!
  • Go into an open field.
  • Dig a hole in the ground for the speaker.
  • Suspend the microphone above the speaker.
  • Done.

And pray that there's no wind or rain. Or snakes.

--Ethan

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Not that it could have made a difference or even needed here. Just nice to achieve more pristine results.

I don't think digging a hole was the way to go.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/14351211

I don't think digging a hole was the way to go.

more pristine results = digging a hole

1 - 10 of 10 Posts