AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the many divergent opinions that appear in this forum, the clear consensus is that the best way to choose and purchase an FP is to do your own a/b comparison under optimal conditions, because the decision is basically subjective. All the reviews and recommendations really don't mean squat, if you use them as the sole basis for your determination, and then find you are disappointed with the projector you bought.

Here's my idea.

1) Four reputable dealers are chosen (northeast, south, midwest and west coast). Each dealer sets up a room with 3-4 of the best dlps, 2-3 of the best dilas or lcos, and one crt (this is a digital forum after all, but it would provide a different perspective). Each unit is properly calibrated and displayed on an optimal screen. Might be good to have a single outboard processor with adjustable native rates for each unit.

2) Each interested member kicks in $100.00, which buys them a 1-2 hour slot scheduled in advance at the location of their choice in which to a/b the best examples of the current market with their choice of source material.

3) Do the math, the forum shows 50,000 registered members. If only 10 % of all of the members are interested, that's 500k towards getting this project done.

Further, I would think that as home theatre is a relatively niche market, some smart manufacturers might even be willing to provide loaner equipment to the rooms in order to get their products in front of the most likely purchasers. This could leave additional funds available for other types of equipment, or cut the "per member" contribution cost.

When you get down to it, the majority of posts at this forum primarily falls into a few categories: how to fix or deal with problems; tweaking and improving systems; future state of the art; and reviews and recommendations of products. We'd still have plenty to talk about, but the guesswork about products, and what to purchase, would be easier to resolve based upon our own experiences.

I recognize that there will be details that would need work, but if everyone could agree to be reasonable, the concept is clean and straightforward enough to be accomplished.

Palladin

No matter where you go, there you are

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Next step...finding the dealers.

I'm sure that they are ready and willing to show the products that they carry. Beyond that, I think you've found the first hurdle.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support, Alan.

Yeah Mark, I've thought through some of the hurdles including the one you mentioned. The reason I think this could work is that its pretty much a win-win scenario for everyone.

The dealers - they'll get higher visibilty (and possibly additional credibility) to a limited market , and obviously the first crack at a customer for their own lines (if its one the customer wants) right after the purchaser has had the opputunity to make his own firm decision. They'll also get the same "traffic" looking at other products they sell. But the serious quid pro quo is they have to play it straight. No fudging with the settings to diminish other brands or enhance their own brands. We'll need some kind of checks and balances ( for example, have our the more knowledgeable forum members or ISF people, do unannounced spot checks as ro calibration, set-up, etc. If the dealer screws up, he loses what would probably be a great promotion for his business generally, as well as the wrath of AVS members.

Palladin

No matter where you go, there you are

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.