AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a comparison of these units in the same system, or if not can you relay (aside from price) the advantages/disadvantages between the two? I read the reviews at Secrets, but I am looking for input from those who have experience with both units to gain their insight as well.

Thank you,

=AirCeej=

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Trident chip of Brite-view is inferior to Sil504 of Lumagen for deinterlacing. Lumagen proprietary scaling will be better than Trident all-in-one chip. Lumagen is better and much more flexible and therefore justifies the price hike. For $400, Brite-view is good enough. If you have the dough, buy the Lumagen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am a dealer of both Zinwell and Lumagen. I am trying to test as many projectors as I can comparing both scalers. From my result so far. I think if Zinwell Brite View is a really nice Scaler at a great deal. Even though the resuld does show Lumagen is better but how much better really depends on the Projector itself.

Here are some highlight features Lumagen has over Zinwell:

Programmable output resolution from 480p to 1080p

in scanline increments, plus 1080i

Programmable vertical refresh rate from 48 to 75 Hertz,

in steps of 0.01 Hertz

Programmable output aspect ratio from 1.33 to 2.35,

in steps of 0.01

RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, or YPRPB output format

Embedded bilevel or trilevel sync

Discrete RGB sync polarities are programmable

My last comment is really depends on your projector. Please email me back your projector and maybe I can help you out.

Good Luck

Bill

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huey,

Thank you for contrasting the guts of both, and the resulting nod toward the Lumagen – much appreciated!

Bill,

Thank you for highlighting the aforementioned virtues of the Vision over the Brite-View, again – much appreciated. In my application the processor will find itself parked between an analog cable feed and either a DLP, LCOS, or LCD 50" rear projector for its primary duties. This of course was brought about after witnessing how the manufacturers of these displays commonly handle this type of signal. On top of that, when I opt. for a new DVD Player (possibly a Denon ‘5900 or a modded ‘2900), it may intercede between either of those and the given RP (depending on the display capabilities of the players). Once I upgrade to digital cable or satellite it’ll most likely be used with that as well, so a goodly amount of flexibility, upgradeability, visual fidelity, uptime, and outstanding value over the long haul are very needful things.

Given the above, I will be quite interested in reading the outcome of your experiments between the two processors, including the DVI version of the Brite-View.

Warm regards,

=AirCeej=

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C'mon, there's GOTTA be more folks out there who has experience to share about either (preferably both) of these units. So don't be shy, let us know what you think!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Lumagen is doing a nice job at 1080P. The Dwin won't scale quite up to there so have to drop the Lumagen down to 64 HZ to keep everything the same . I tend to like the Directv stuff on the Dwin, but the Lumagen is much better on DVD. The Dwin does a better job on the Joe Kane disc when panning the stadum seats. The Lumagen is torn up pretty bad on this particular shot. On DVDs at the 1080P the Dwin is left behind on just a much cleaner signal from the Lumagen. As would be expected nothing is even in the ballpark with the Movi DVD player.Since the Electrohome will A-B instantly the differences are easy to see. AL WARD

·
Registered
414 Posts
Al, I don't know if you upgraded your Vision yet but you'll probably find it cleans up your video (for things like the stadium seats in the Joe Kane video you mentioned). We had an issue with the Silicon Image chipset which resulted in combing more often than it should for video.

To check you revision,press "menu",0,9,0,3. If the sw rev is less than 092203 than an update will probably do the trick.

Patrick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Patrick,

I bought a Vision about 3 weeks ago, it came with the 082203 software. I purchased the serial upgrade cable you sell with the unit and it did not come installed so I will be opening the unit to install it. Should I leave it installed or remove it after the upgrade?

Thanks ... Tim

·
Registered
414 Posts
Tim, I leave mine installed. The cord can go out a small gap in the upper corner of the case after it is put back on. Remember when putting the case back on to place it sligtly in front of the IR sensor in the front and carefully slide it back so it fits nicely back in its little hole.

Patrick

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Patrick,

I checked your site for dealer listings and there wasn’t any, so would you relay to me a list of Michigan dealers that carry the Vision; also, will there be a DVI version of the Visions coming soon?

=AirCeej=

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately no; he did PM me a listing of Michigan dealers, but no response on the DVI issue; hopefully he’ll answer that in this thread.

Patrick?

·
Registered
414 Posts
We should make an announcement in January regarding a DVI product.

Patrick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.