AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As the title says, I want to learn if my, (attached on DCR-HC90 camera), Sony , 4 channels surround microphone, is compatible with the new Sony camcorders, specially with the CX550.

The mic is compatible with Sony Active Interface Shoe.

The reason is that I don't want to make it useless, when I will buy a new camcorder.

Besides, it's better to have an external 4 channel microphone than a 5.1 internal!

I searched at Sony webpage (Greece) and on internet, but I didn't found anything specific.

Is there anyway to find out if there is a compatibility?

Thanks

K.D.

·
Banned
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosdion /forum/post/19561339

As the title says, I want to learn if my, (attached on DCR-HC90 camera), Sony , 4 channels surround microphone, is compatible with the new Sony camcorders, specially with the CX550.

The mic is compatible with Sony Active Interface Shoe.

The reason is that I don't want to make it useless, when I will buy a new camcorder.

Besides, it's better to have an external 4 channel microphone than a 5.1 internal!

I searched at Sony webpage (Greece) and on internet, but I didn't found anything specific.

Is there anyway to find out if there is a compatibility?

Thanks

K.D.

This is quite an old model. That's why you didn't find much information. I believe that this mic is compatible with you cx550. Any camcorder that has the Active Interface Shoe might compatible with the mic. There is another mic ECM-HST1 which looks similar but this is a stereo mic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by i6pwr /forum/post/19561428

I use that one on my XR500V so I would assume it would work.

Thanks a lot.

That means that the video you are shooting has his own stereo channels (Front) and a seperate wav file as the rear channels?

I assume that XR500V has the same Active Interface Shoe (A.I.S.) as the CX550VE.

By the way, is it true that these Sony camcorders have only 1 (not 2) rear mic in the internal 5.1.

If that's true, than the use of my ECM-HQP1 is inevitable ! ! !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by i6pwr
I use that one on my XR500V so I would assume it would work.
In a Sony Center, I tested my own ECM-HQP1 on a CX550 model.

The 550 recognize the mic, but only stereo (on LCD screen the 5.1 indicator became 2.0).

We tried the settings, making several adjustements, but there was no result.

CX550 continue to recognize only as stereo.

Conclusion: The ECM-HQP1 4channel mic can only be used as 2 channel mic

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosdion
By the way, is it true that these Sony camcorders have only 1 (not 2) rear mic in the internal 5.1.
To the best of my knowledge no one actually knows exactly how many mics there are. There could be a total of 2 mics for everything and the rear/center channels are calculated and mixed.

But one thing is for sure... at the end of it all there are 6 distinct and different channels coming from the cam and if you import the audio into a 5.1 capable editor, then you will see that all 6 channels have recorded something slightly different. In other words the tracks are not the same.

If you REALLY want to spice up the 5.1 effect though... then get the Sony HW2 center channel mic. It's a blue tooth wireless mic that has the ability to record the center channel (up to 300 feet away) while the on board surround mics continue to operate. It sounds absolutely amazing when played back on a good surround sound system.

It also has 2-way communication. Because you can operate the mic at a fair distance away from the cam then communication has been built in. Both the cam operator and the subject can talk/listen to each other.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665738362

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigbarney, the HW2 is necessary to me when I will buy the CX550.

But the point is that I can't understand why a same hot shoe accessorie isn' recognized on a new camera !

That means that every time someone buys a camcorder is forced to buy a new accessorie ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/19683583

But one thing is for sure... at the end of it all there are 6 distinct and different channels coming from the cam and if you import the audio into a 5.1 capable editor, then you will see that all 6 channels have recorded something slightly different. In other words the tracks are not the same. ........

As for the above, the issue is not something slightly different but to make possible to understand the direction that the sound came from.

For example If a car passes from my rear left side and goes to the front right, will I be able to understand that?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosdion /forum/post/19686355

As for the above, the issue is not something slightly different but to make possible to understand the direction that the sound came from.

For example If a car passes from my rear left side and goes to the front right, will I be able to understand that?

Yes... although it's not anywhere near as clear as it is in say.... a dvd movie you're watching, but you will rear the shift in sound.

Here's a shot of a MTS clip from a Sony 5.1 cam (I have not done anything to the audio... simply imported it to the time line) You will note that all 6 tracks are slightly different. This of course indicates something slightly different recorded on each track (it should be noted that the HW2 center channel blue tooth mic is being used here and it is located on the child about 30 feet away):

This is a blow up of the above showing better detail:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts