AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting my TiVO signal up to the bedroom using an RF modulator, splitter/combiner, and IR Extenders.

I am trying to do it rather cost consciously. I have a question regarding IR.

Will one vendor's IR extender system work with another? For instance, if I buy a pyramid from Smart Home, will it work with my Recoton system that is about 4 years old? Will the new rounded Recoton ones work with my older Recoton ones?

I would like to be able to just add a transmitter upstairs and have my current receiver pick up the signal. Not only am I trying to cut cost where possible, but I am also worried about adding more power cords to the equipment rack area.

I would like to avoid buying a whole new set plus additional transimtter if possible.

Please advise. Thanks!

· Registered
5,719 Posts
The IR extenders often use different RF frequencies to communicate so it is unlikely that two different brands will work together. It's possible that different models of the same brand might, but you'd have to buy them to find out.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the following auction at e-bay seems like it is the kind I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15065

These guys are liquidators of electronics equipment and accessories. Has anyone bought from them?

I have the factory new Recoton ones that look like this. I wonder what "built by recoton to Express View's specs" means? My guess is is I would have good compatibility here as it really looks like the same exact one I have.

· Registered
272 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bless you gesundheit for your help. ;)

Anyways, I looked at my older Recoton ones from a 1998 purchase. They are these taller and narrower ones. They too have an IR100 model number on them. I didn't look at the frequency, but I would hazard a guess that given the same model number, they would probably be on the same frequency and would work with mine. If this is the case, then I could just get a new transmitter.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just found a picture of the exact ones I have. I actually found it as an archived link on the Recoton site (thanks google!).

http://store3.yimg.com/I/satelliteone_1726_551022

And at this site, it notes these as operating at 418 Mhz too!

Does this mean any other transmitter operating at 418 Mhz (like the Terk linked above) will work with mine (possible price advantages), or should I at least stay with the newer model Recoton?

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.