AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi


Anyone know whether there are any software/driver/SDK/license restrictions/incompatibilities with using a SpectraCal i1 Pro Enhanced with other calibration software (ie not CalMAN)?


I'd be specifically interested in knowing whether it is supported in the latest HCFR 3.1.x / Argyll CMS 1.6.3


I'm aware that X-Rite have locked down some device variants for use specifically with their own software, but just wondered whether that was was case the other way around, ie. if any OEM or "enhanced" devices are restricted in any way.


Cheers

Roland
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal_r  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24479262


Contact SpectraCAL, you have nothing to loose.

Uh, but that's just the *obvious* thing to do!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland.Online  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24479172


Anyone know whether there are any software/driver/SDK/license restrictions/incompatibilities with using a SpectraCal i1 Pro Enhanced with other calibration software (ie not CalMAN)?


I'd be specifically interested in knowing whether it is supported in the latest HCFR 3.1.x / Argyll CMS 1.6.3
It looks like a standard i1pro Rev E (AKA i1pro 2), so it should work. Why don't you simply try it ?
Quote:
I'm aware that X-Rite have locked down some device variants for use specifically with their own software ...
It doesn't work that way - nothing is "locked down". Some devices have access codes, and X-Rite manufactures devices with different access codes. In those cases it's up to the application to supply the access code. The access codes may be concealed or not specifically given to everyone, but concealed is not the same as unavailable or unknowable, anymore than ROT13 text is unknowable, since the codes have been sold along with the instrument. For other instruments they restrict the availability of their driver code, but that just makes accessing such instruments inconvenient - the owner of an instrument still has every right to make use of their own property.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24479350


Why don't you simply try it ?

Don't have one yet - just an opportunity to acquire one, hence the asking ahead of being potentially disappointed - it's actually a 42.17.79 Rev D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24479350


... just makes accessing such instruments inconvenient - the owner of an instrument still has every right to make use of their own property.

Agree - just working out what X-Rite did to their own SDK - or whether that firmware itself is locked to a specific SDK or driver library.


Thanks though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland.Online  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24479496


Don't have one yet - just an opportunity to acquire one, hence the asking ahead of being potentially disappointed - it's actually a 42.17.79 Rev D.
An i1pro Rev D will work.


It is conceivable that X-Rite could produce a custom i1pro 2 that needs a different driver or has some sort of access code, but on past evidence I'd say that's unlikely. I've seen absolutely no difference between the i1 display 3 (AKA display pro) devices apart from the access key, and from the manufacturing and software support point of view this is entirely understandable. The bottom line is that it would cost a lot/make the instrument very much more expensive to do a unique customization for a single OEM or distributor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I recently purchased the i1Pro2 Enhanced from Spectracal. After only 9 weeks the meter arrived today, but had no time to test yet.

Asked Spectracal if the meter is locked or if it works with any software.

The answer was:

"Our OEM version is open to use with other calibration software."

Will see this evening...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland.Online  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24479172


Hi


Anyone know whether there are any software/driver/SDK/license restrictions/incompatibilities with using a SpectraCal i1 Pro Enhanced with other calibration software (ie not CalMAN)?


I'd be specifically interested in knowing whether it is supported in the latest HCFR 3.1.x / Argyll CMS 1.6.3


I'm aware that X-Rite have locked down some device variants for use specifically with their own software, but just wondered whether that was was case the other way around, ie. if any OEM or "enhanced" devices are restricted in any way.


Cheers

Roland

Hey Roland, If you want to use the Enhanced (LED) Table, you have to ask from SpectraCAL if they can send you the offsets to enter them manually to any other software you want to use your i1pro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@DrFaxe, cool, look forward to your findings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24481062


Hey Roland, If you want to use the Enhanced (LED) Table, you have to ask from SpectraCAL if they can send you the offsets to enter them manually to any other software you want to use your i1pro.

Good point. My intention was to use it to profile my i1D3, so I assume to get the full benefit of doing so, a more accurate EDR/CCSS for the i1 Pro would be required.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,714 Posts
You should be able to use it as a plain-Jane I1Pro with any other software that supports that device. IIRC, the enhanced tables can only be used/accessed by CalMAN. Depending on the meter, those tables are either written to the meter's EEPROM (as in my enhanced C-5 and I believe the SpectraCal C-6 as well), or as downloadable tables, which is how the Enhanced I1Pro works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland.Online  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24481553


Good point. My intention was to use it to profile my i1D3, so I assume to get the full benefit of doing so, a more accurate EDR/CCSS for the i1 Pro would be required.

There no tables written to your meter EPROM, the tables are accessed and downloaded online from SpectraCAL's server when you request your correction, as Rolls-Royce correctly mentioned.


You have to ask SpectraCAL if they can convert to xyY matrix and send you the offsets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24482164


You have to ask SpectraCAL if they can convert to xyY matrix and send you the offsets.

Got it - so in the case of the i1Pro Enhanced, "tables" is just a matrix correction, not a spectral correction set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland.Online  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24482878

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24482164


You have to ask SpectraCAL if they can convert to xyY matrix and send you the offsets.

Got it - so in the case of the i1Pro Enhanced, "tables" is just a matrix correction, not a spectral correction set.

I believe they are added to SPD, but you extract the xyY matrix from your setup, do this:


Use CalMAN and measure a LED Display with i1PRO @ Direct Display Mode, write down the xyY for WRGB, later remeasure the same display with Enchanced table enabled and write down the xyY or WRGB also, later compare the data and find the offset for this display.



Post us the difference you found if you like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24483524


I believe they are added to SPD, but you extract the xyY matrix from your setup, do this...

Good tip, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaxe  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24483585


I have tested the meter now and can confirm that it is working with HCFR and LightSpace too.

Thanks for checking - enjoy your new kit!


Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24483524


I believe they are added to SPD, but you extract the xyY matrix from your setup, do this:


Use CalMAN and measure a LED Display with i1PRO @ Direct Display Mode, write down the xyY for WRGB, later remeasure the same display with Enchanced table enabled and write down the xyY or WRGB also, later compare the data and find the offset for this display.

Why use xyY? XYZ would be more "direct." (He said, not knowing if CM actually has an option to display XYZ coordinates.
)


Edit: Eh ... never mind I suppose you could still "edit into" HCFR in x,y,Y and have it convert and calculate the correction matrix for you. ...



See how easy (and relatively painless) that was?



Or you could pony up and either transfer the license from the seller or just pay Spectracal/CM for a proper license. Decisions, Decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24486071

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24483524


I believe they are added to SPD, but you extract the xyY matrix from your setup, do this:


Use CalMAN and measure a LED Display with i1PRO @ Direct Display Mode, write down the xyY for WRGB, later remeasure the same display with Enchanced table enabled and write down the xyY or WRGB also, later compare the data and find the offset for this display.

Why use xyY? XYZ would be more "direct." (He said, not knowing if CM actually has an option to display XYZ coordinates.
)


Edit: Eh ... never mind I suppose you could still "edit into" HCFR in x,y,Y and have it convert and calculate the correction matrix for you. ...



See how easy (and relatively painless) that was?



Or you could pony up and either transfer the license from the seller or just pay Spectracal/CM for a proper license. Decisions, Decisions.

xyY or XYZ is the same thing, if the user export XYZ from CalMAN then he has to convert them to xyY to use that offsets in ChromaPure or LightSpace, if the user export to xyY, he will no need to do these conversions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24486243


xyY or XYZ is the same thing, if the user export XYZ from CalMAN then he has to convert them to xyY to use that offsets in ChromaPure or LightSpace, if the user export to xyY, he will no need to do these conversions.

Well given that the OP was asking in reference to HCFR (re-boot edition,) my brain pan was automatically biased in that direction (HCFR calculates the "correction" matrix in (X,Y,Z) coordinate format).
Then I remembered you could just "edit" the data in (x,y,Y) format on the "Primary/Secondary" panel, and corrected my initial impulsive response. Or did you miss that?



PS: OTOH, I will give you BONUS points for getting the LS (a/o CP) name recognition into yet another thread not originally related to either product.



PPS: sorry ... I find myself becoming more and more cynical everyday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24489649

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24486243


xyY or XYZ is the same thing, if the user export XYZ from CalMAN then he has to convert them to xyY to use that offsets in ChromaPure or LightSpace, if the user export to xyY, he will no need to do these conversions.

Well given that the OP was asking in reference to HCFR (re-boot edition,) my brain pan was automatically biased in that direction (HCFR calculates the "correction" matrix in (X,Y,Z) coordinate format).
Then I remembered you could just "edit" the data in (x,y,Y) format on the "Primary/Secondary" panel, and corrected my initial impulsive response. Or did you miss that?



PS: OTOH, I will give you BONUS points for getting the LS (a/o CP) name recognition into yet another thread not originally related to either product.



PPS: sorry ... I find myself becoming more and more cynical everyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland.Online  /t/1522432/compatibility-of-i1-pro-enhanced#post_24479172


Hi


Anyone know whether there are any software/driver/SDK/license restrictions/incompatibilities with using a SpectraCal i1 Pro Enhanced with other calibration software (ie not CalMAN)?

Happy to see your interesting about my every post, continue that way with that negativity.


Please don't quote me again, just discard my any comment, you are not providing any type of help basically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey thanks everyone to all your various inputs.


I've not done a meter profile before, so if and when the i1Pro turns up I'll probably swing by here and read it all again.


I'm sure it will be clear within HCFR or whatever else I might be using by then whether the s/w requires; xyY, XYZ, ABC or LSD (for a really supernova calibration experience)



Anyway, it can't be that hard - it's only colour science, right?



Cheers

Roland
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top