AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new KURO 5020, and it has a output for a sub. I originally wasn't going to get any additional speakers, but now I'm thinking why not.

Is this sub over kill for a non-enthusiast? I'm mostly using the TV for TV shows/movies, but it sounds like spending less is almost pointless, as you'll be getting poor quality muffling sounds with the lows. I just want something to nicely add a small bit of punch thats sounds good without distorting or being over-bearing.

That aside, the real question was I was reading the description and it says:

Quote:
With a single fixed input (requiring a Dolby Digital receiver as your system's "front end") we were able to include nice touches like defeat-able auto-on, that detachable power cord, continuously variable phase, user accessible fuse and most critically, LOADS of power.

That whole requiring a DD receiver bit confused me... would I be able to use this sub with the TV? And just run a single cable (and which cable do I get)?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender_01 /forum/post/15593237

I just got a new KURO 5020, and it has a output for a sub. I originally wasn't going to get any additional speakers, but now I'm thinking why not.

Is this sub over kill for a non-enthusiast? I'm mostly using the TV for TV shows/movies, but it sounds like spending less is almost pointless, as you'll be getting poor quality muffling sounds with the lows. I just want something to nicely add a small bit of punch thats sounds good without distorting or being over-bearing.

That aside, the real question was I was reading the description and it says:

That whole requiring a DD receiver bit confused me... would I be able to use this sub with the TV? And just run a single cable (and which cable do I get)?

Many thanks!

The PB10-NSD will work fine with the Kuro 5020. The PB10-NSD lacks an on-board low-pass filter, which would otherwise be needed if the subwoofer was sent a full-range signal. But the Kuro 5020 subwoofer output signal is already low-pass filtered, so it will work fine with the PB10-NSD.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixar /forum/post/16521205

Will it work with the PRO-111FD?

I looked at the manual and it says very little about the sub out other than you don't need it if you are connecting to a receiver. It doesn't say if there are any controls or if the output is full range or low passed. You will probably need a sub with a built in crossover or get a receiver with bass management.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts