AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody , I really need your help here please :

I Have B&W 686 Speakers with 100 watts , and i want to buy a reciever from Yamaha and I found Two That i liked , the RS700 and RS500 , the RS700 has 160W x 2(max) 100W x 2 (RMS) , and the RS500 has 105W x 2 (max) 75W x 2 (RMS) ?

I'd love to know which one would be more suitable for my 100W speakers , in order not to Get a reciever that will damage them .

Thank you so much guys , Explanation would really make it easy for me cause i don't know much about these !

Regards

·
Registered
292 Posts
hello everybody , I really need your help here please :

I Have B&W 686 Speakers with 100 watts , and i want to buy a reciever from Yamaha and I found Two That i liked , the RS700 and RS500 , the RS700 has 160W x 2(max) 100W x 2 (RMS) , and the RS500 has 105W x 2 (max) 75W x 2 (RMS) ?

I'd love to know which one would be more suitable for my 100W speakers , in order not to Get a reciever that will damage them .

Thank you so much guys , Explanation would really make it easy for me cause i don't know much about these !

Regards
As far as I know, either will be fine, you wont be blowing up your speakers :eek: Are you planning on just a 2.0 or 2.1 system? either way you wont have an issue, if you have more speakers then that power is shared across all speakers, plus most AVR's spec's have been through the marketing machine which means those numbers are going to be best case!! I have an external AMP that runs true 200w per Chanel but my speakers are not rated that high and would sound really bad if I tried to get anywhere near their operating limits I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
The rule of thumb is that you can use an amp with up to twice the 'RMS power' of your speakers' RMS rating, all else being equal.

This is because audio signals typically have average levels that are far below the peak levels. General audio signal spends most of its time in the lower end of the range.

Depending on the manufacturer and model, the ratings may be conservative or optimistic versus the actual performance, so some informed perspective is helpful in making that decision. B&W speakers likely are rated fairly accurately IMO.

Some people claim that an amp without enough power to drive the speaker sufficiently will tend to clip more and could burn out the tweeter with the energy shift from clipped waveform into higher frequency harmonics that get routed to relatively low power tweeters.

In such case though, the sound is already highly distorted due to the clipping. Any person who runs a system into distortion with lower power is likely to do so with higher power IMO.

It takes 10X as much power for doubling of perceived loudness. A little extra power is unlikely to satisfy such person.

Additionally, I am aware of no study that demonstrates gradually increasing the clipping of a fixed waveform that is otherwise safe for the tweeter leads to tweeter burnout. Rather it seems to me that gradually increasing the amplitude of the waveform beyond the amplifier's output capacity is the path to tweeter damage.

Certain sound tracks such as 'Edge of Tomorrow' opening scene incorporate high intensity infrasonic signals that are known to damage subwoofers as well as center speakers running over full frequency range. To avoid such damage, make sure your speakers cross over to a subwoofer and do not use the 'double bass' or whatever it is called in your receiver. Subwoofer with DSP limiter is likely less susceptible to such damage than subwoofer with analog limiter.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^ As always, an excellent explanation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, didn't see anything about a subwoofer, although he should have one with those speakers IMO. Maybe he just wants 2.0....
Thanks guys for all your explanations , this was really helping me , and yes it's 2.0 that i will use , so as I understood The RS700 and RS500 are good with my speakers , correct me if i'm wrong . Now my issue is what to get RS700 or RS500 , but that will not be difficult i'll decide once I'm back in The Yamaha Shop !

Thanks alot you guys are the best !

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Thanks guys for all your explanations , this was really helping me , and yes it's 2.0 that i will use , so as I understood The RS700 and RS500 are good with my speakers , correct me if i'm wrong . Now my issue is what to get RS700 or RS500 , but that will not be difficult i'll decide once I'm back in The Yamaha Shop !

Yes, either would be fine. Don't obsess about the wattage numbers for your speakers, they don't mean a lot. You can overdrive an amp/receiver beyond its rated numbers, and potentially run clipped signals to your speakers if you get careless, but if you use common sense with the volume control you'll be just fine. Personally I'd want bass management and a subwoofer but....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, either would be fine. Don't obsess about the wattage numbers for your speakers, they don't mean a lot. You can overdrive an amp/receiver beyond its rated numbers, and potentially run clipped signals to your speakers if you get careless, but if you use common sense with the volume control you'll be just fine. Personally I'd want bass management and a subwoofer but....
I like listening to my music really loud , this is why i was asking about all this , but i'm carefull tho . This installation i want to put on is specially for my turntable , i'll use them only for that , turntable-reciever-speakers .

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Really loud? How loud is that? Do you have the capability of measuring the spl (sound pressure level) in dB? If you want really loud you might consider higher sensitivity speakers....those small B&Ws aren't the best for playing "really loud".

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I like listening to my music really loud , this is why i was asking about all this , but i'm carefull tho . This installation i want to put on is specially for my turntable , i'll use them only for that , turntable-reciever-speakers .
Those aren't the right speakers if you listen
"Really loud". I've owned them before and
That's not what they are good at.

I was going to suggest you move to the 685
Which is a much better speaker. With the info you
Just supplied I would look at the 683/684.Do it right the
First time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really loud? How loud is that? Do you have the capability of measuring the spl (sound pressure level) in dB? If you want really loud you might consider higher sensitivity speakers....those small B&Ws aren't the best for playing "really loud".
The reciever i want to buy has that dB thing , but i'm not gonna use them really loud untill i get some new speakers , and thank you so much , but i'm aware about that , and when i say loud , it's not loud like i wanna throw a party :) it's as loud as my ears and neighbours can bear it !

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Yes N, either one of the Yamahas will be perfectly fine.
In that case, the R-S700 with it's marginally higher output power (~2dBW) is the logical choice for you.

I also recommend that you seriously consider the addition of a sub to the system. Not only will the sub play the lower octaves with greater authority, but it will free up headroom for the amp and also reduce the excursion demands on the B&W's woofers, allowing them to perform at it their best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts