AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3600 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
 Engadget says "If you were hoping that another no-name company would release a $400 Blu-ray player, then today is your lucky day as ezGear is very proud to share the details of its BluCobra Blu-ray Disc Player. The BluCobra -- love the name btw -- features 7.1 analog outputs, SACD, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR&MA and the cutting edge profile 1.1, otherwise known as Bonus View. Luckily Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic can rest easy until at least March when this beast is scheduled hits the streets. Oh, and just a little prediction, no way the BluCobra will sell for its MSRP."

Crunchgear
says "ezGear, never heard of ‘em either, is introducing a cheap low-cost Blu-ray player at CES. The look of the BluCobra EZ3000 seems like your average Chinese-built player and the outdated specs confirms this as a bottom-feeder.

The player is set to drop in March 2009 and features technology that was considered almost outdated last year. The player doesn’t support all the goodies in Profile 2.0 nor does come equipped with an Ethernet port. It’s really sad that manufacturers are trying to pimp old tech on consumers looking for a low cost entry model. Hopefully by the time that this player is available, comparable models from Sony or Samsung will be back to their post-Christmas price points.

Even still, sans the Profile 2.0, the BluCobra EZ3000 does have HDMI 1.3 and analog/digital 7.1 outputs along with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master audio processing. You have to give credit where credit is due, but there is no way in hell I would buy any player without the latest Blu-ray profile - including this one."

Gadget Heat
says: "ezGear, more known for their interestingly shaped Wii remote than anything else have decided to dip their toe into the Blue-ray game with the release of the ezGear BluCobra Blu-ray Disc Player. The marketing men must if had a really late night to come up with ‘BluCobra’.

The ezGear BluCobra Blu-ray Disc Player is pimped out with (well, comes with) 7.1 analog outputs, SACD, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR&MA and profile 1.1 (Bonus View). Set for a March 2009 release, the BluCobra will be biting your wallet for an optimistic $400.

Whether or not the price will be dropped come release date (and fiscal reality sinking in) is yet to be seen but the ezGear BluCobra Blu-ray Disc Player (also known as the less fun EZ3000) is hoping to take of all your Blu-ray, DVD and CD needs in one. I’d rather get a PS3 for that money and play games as well. Just my 2 cents"

Notice the distinct lack of positive comments, and people complaining about how expensive $599 for a BDP-83 is take notice!

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Did you notice that the web site says "The EZ3000 will begin shipping in March 2008." It should have said 2009. The company isn't very careful about what is posted on its own web site.

Dana

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Well this is interesting.

Curious to find out the "roots" of this player, who it is "backed" by, and where they are getting all the "engineering expertise" to create and support such a player.

My gut feeling is it will be riddled with problems and lack support. We shall see.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
It's not going to win any beauty contests, and the company's overall product line is rather "odd" company for a Blu-ray player to keep. It is interesting to see SACD support sneak in there, though. Hey, maybe they'll include a UFO power strip or a Wii pool cue with each player...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
EZwho?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth /forum/post/15461172

And now their site appears to be down.

I can get to it currently, perhaps they were applying a another one of the necessary MS critical updates. The name of this product still makes me think it has a embedded police radar detector!

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
It is sure to be a Chinese company OEM player of some sort unless LG or Samsung is making it. I had never heard of ezGear but if it is easily hackable for all-region Blu-ray playback, it will do just fine, there is demand for that product. If it isn't and it sure shouldn't be, then it will have to sell for $200 or less and probably won't be competitive. We can't know what these upcoming Chinese manufactured players are going to be like but they could be interesting, I will read about this one in a few months and see what people think.

Chris

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Wasn't there a discussion sometime back, that the Chinese Government was encouraging the development of a BR formate that was not a SONY developed BR, so they would not have to pay royalties. They were going to make it exclusive for the Chinese and India markets. Which would be large. Maybe this is a spin off of that concept, which i haven't heard much of lately.

.{India, each year makes more pictures that Hollywood by 4x}

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
For the last week or so, people have not been able to buy the Panasonic DMP-BD55 player because most retailers are out of stock, and others are cancelling backorders stating that they will not be getting any more of the players.

One poster in the deals forum here has stated that he called Panasonic, and that representative told him that the DMP-BD35 was being DISCONTINUED.

So, it seems that these two players that just hit the streets 3 months ago are being replaced already?

I don't own one of them, but from what i hear, they are very solid players.

Why would Panasonic stop production of such good players that seem to be such a great value to consumers?

WHAT does Panasonic have up their sleeves?

Will we find out this week?...

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15474437

For the last week or so, people have not been able to buy the Panasonic DMP-BD55 player because most retailers are out of stock, and others are cancelling backorders stating that they will not be getting any more of the players.

One poster in the deals forum here has stated that he called Panasonic, and that representative told him that the DMP-BD35 was being DISCONTINUED.

So, it seems that these two players that just hit the streets 3 months ago are being replaced already?

I tried the BD35 and it was about 1/2 the speed at loading and navigating of the 83. It have grainy and soft SD up-conversion. Slow to enter setup and no resume. Very few picture options. No source direct...

A very basic player.

- Rich

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB /forum/post/15475725

I tried the BD35 and it was about 1/2 the speed at loading and navigating of the 83. It have grainy and soft SD up-conversion. Slow to enter setup and no resume. Very few picture options. No source direct...

A very basic player.

- Rich

Yes, of course. I was not comparing it to the -83.

My point was that it is a good Blu-ray player for the budget minded consumers that need a solid player to play their Blu-ray discs while having dependable support for the product. It even has internal decoding of all audio formats. Before Christmas, they were on sale for $199. If I were to buy another player for a secondary system, and with a tight budget, I would not hesitaite to but a Panny 35.

I just find it peculiar that they would discontinue it so quickly.

...AND, what are they going to replace it with? Will it be something that DOES compete with the -83? Probably not, but they may come out with a higher end model that does. We shall see...

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15474437

Why would Panasonic stop production of such good players that seem to be such a great value to consumers?

WHAT does Panasonic have up their sleeves?

Will we find out this week?...

Remember Panasonic released the DMP-BD50 and then 3 months later was shipping the DMP-BD55. Obviously they had another redesign to make it more of a PS3 competitor (transport speed) against both the recent DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55. Perhaps Sony will also be replacing their models also? Stay tuned as CES 2009 approaches.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/15476519

Remember Panasonic released the DMP-BD50 and then 3 months later was shipping the DMP-BD55. Obviously they had another redesign to make it more of a PS3 competitor (transport speed) against both the recent DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55. Perhaps Sony will also be replacing their models also? Stay tuned as CES 2009 approaches.

That's interesting John. No, I was not aware that the previous model also had such a short life_span. I do not know how these manufacturing contracts work, but it seems to me that it would cost more money to switch to a newer model so quickly. Maybe the cost difference is inconsiquential when it come to "free trade". To each their own. Just very curious as to what Panasonic will do to trump the 35/55 models. IF they bring a model to the table with superior sd scaling, it could be some competition for the BDP-83. Based on the history of these players though, it certainly is doubtful.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15476610

That's interesting John. No, I was not aware that the previous model also had such a short life_span. I do not know how these manufacturing contracts work, but it seems to me that it would cost more money to switch to a newer model so quickly. Maybe the cost difference is inconsiquential when it come to "free trade". To each their own. Just very curious as to what Panasonic will do to trump the 35/55 models. IF they bring a model to the table with superior sd scaling, it could be some competition for the BDP-83. Based on the history of these players though, it certainly is doubtful.

Here's some of the CES 2009 possibles:

Samsung and LG will offer Blu-ray players that stream not only Netflix movies but also content from CinemaNow and Hulu, as well as other Internet-based content.

This follows up with the crowd that seems to think that streaming HD downloads will obsolete Blu-ray media. We can't even deliver BD-Live correctly and they think streaming downloads is going to replace 50 GB media. Remember we are at the mercy of ISP's, especially if they start charging by the gigabyte.

Expect to see some Blu-ray players including Wi-Fi rather than the standard Ethernet connection.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
I'm a little confused about the Wi-Fi thing. Isn't it possible to use an adapter on the ethernet connection in order to enable wi-fi? I thought with the adapter, that the player just assumes it has a hard_wired connection, and that the adapter is what makes the connection wireless.

What is the difference between a wi-fi capable connector, and a standard ethernet connector?

I certainly hope that the BDP-83 is capable of handling streaming media. It will soon be "all the craze", so hopfully Oppo will be able to join the party.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15477030

I'm a little confused about the Wi-Fi thing. Isn't it possible to use an adapter on the ethernet connection in order to enable wi-fi? I thought with the adapter, that the player just assumes it has a hard_wired connection, and that the adapter is what makes the connection wireless.

What is the difference between a wi-fi capable connector, and a standard ethernet connector?

I certainly hope that the BDP-83 is capable of handling streaming media. It will soon be "all the craze", so hopfully Oppo will be able to join the party.

Yes you can just a buy a WIFI Ethernet bridge to support connection to your home WIFI router, but they can cost more then a basic WIFI router. Since we are talking about a additional $15 cost (estimate) to the BR player design, probably might be a smart strategic marketing move against the BR player competition. 2009 will see a large upswing of Blu-ray activity compared to 2008 as evidenced by all the news from CES 2009. Even HDTV displays are becoming networked.

Standard Ethernet is just the 10/100 port, WIFI capable would include additionally a WIFI 802.11 B/G card and antenna.

1 - 20 of 3600 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.