AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice for me? I need a good complete system (receiver and speakers) for $1200.00. I prefer satellite speakers for space reasons.

Thanks,

ps. I did a search but didn't find anything.

· Registered
50 Posts
Wow, that's vague.

Need more input, lots more. What are you going to do with it, what are you going to watch, what are you going to hook up to it, what are you to listen to, what sort of sound do you prefer, etc...

· Registered
17 Posts
let me try this again.....I am not the most audio literate person on earth so I had a friend post my question...here is the setup.

I have a Home Theater with A Samsung 61" DLP screen, Samsung digital DVD player and a RCA HDTV Receiver.

I am looking for a 7.1 setup that will give me the most bang for the buck for $1200....no money left after paying for the 61"!!

I need sattelite speakers as the entertainment center and the tv combined are the length of the loft with the door open.

I will be running a dvd and the directv receiver through it....as well as a cd jukebox. I need at least 3 optical inputs and I want the sound optimised for movies, but it should provide solid performance....again...I am not an audio guru....I have $1200.00 left and want to make a good choice

Is this enough info? Thanks for your time

· Registered
1,105 Posts
BJB? What is your listening preference? What percentage of your listening time will be for movies and what percent for music? How big is your room? These are good facts to add to help people help you.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
If you're using for mostly movies AND you MUST get satellite type speakers, then I would recommend you check out the Paradigm Cinema series.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...ema_Specs.html

I would go with the Cinema 90s over the Cinema 70s if you can swing it.

For the receiver, you should check out the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K.

Here is a link to the Pioneer UK site. For some reason, Pioneer took this unit off their U.S. and Canadian websites. It probably was eating into the sales of the Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX which is very similar but cost much more.
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...onomy_id=62-98

Note: The U.S. model is black not silver like the UK model.

These should both fit within your budget

Good Luck.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
I think they are SLOWLY filtering into the Bestbuy stores depending on where you are. You should also be able to find it at some B&M stores. Don't know where you're located, so can't help you there.

· Registered
17 Posts
I live in Riverside, CA where best buy and circuit city are king....I am going to wait it out and look for it....as well as check out some actual audi stores (like good guys)....I haven't seen an independent stereo store out here in years. Thanks for your help...it's good to get confirmation that I was making the right choice with the pioneer 1014Tx....

· Registered
1,105 Posts
BJB,

Good for you. You could have gotten it for slightly cheaper from some authorized online dealers with free shipping, but there's no substitute for picking it up yourself and bringing home. I only say this because you could have put the extra savings into your speakers given the budget.

Enjoy and let us know which speakers you choose. I gotta get some for my 1014TX as well.

· Registered
17 Posts
I went with Polk audio...

I got the polk monitor 30's for my fronts and 4 rm6005 satellites and a PSW202 sub...

works out perfect for me as I had concerns over disturbing my mom-in-law who is in the next room.

I woulda went with the next model up but I had to pay for an install as my wife wanted the spearker cables to be hidden in the walls....

So I got the 4 rm 6005 and the satellite speaker for $249 (open box) the 2 monitor 30's for $89 each and the sub for $199...then I had to pay $299 for the install...Polk was giving some other rebate for an additional 200 bucks too....so all told (speakers and thx certified receiver ) I spent about $1435 installed with some negotiating and stuff along the way....I will have a professional setup and I really loved the sound.

Moving forward...I can definitely see myself upgrading the surrounds in the next year but this is more than adequate for what I have now having a small room.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigjayboogie
I went with Polk audio...

I got the polk monitor 30's for my fronts and 4 rm6005 satellites and a PSW202 sub...

works out perfect for me as I had concerns over disturbing my mom-in-law who is in the next room.

I woulda went with the next model up but I had to pay for an install as my wife wanted the spearker cables to be hidden in the walls....

So I got the 4 rm 6005 and the satellite speaker for $249 (open box) the 2 monitor 30's for $89 each and the sub for $199...then I had to pay $299 for the install...Polk was giving some other rebate for an additional 200 bucks too....so all told (speakers and thx certified receiver ) I spent about $1435 installed with some negotiating and stuff along the way....I will have a professional setup and I really loved the sound.

Moving forward...I can definitely see myself upgrading the surrounds in the next year but this is more than adequate for what I have now having a small room.
That's great for you. You move fast! I remember at one point, Polk was including the PW202 sub in part of their systems. Yeah, its too bad you had to spend the extra money on the install instead of speakers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.