AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to home theater and really dont have a clue as to whats a good purchase as far as receivers and speakers. I recently went to best buy and listened to two systems one by definitive technologies and the other by klipsch. I preferred the klipsch but the price ($2700) was out of my league. Both were used in conjunction with a pioneer elite reciever. I am considering the aperion 4t hybrid and pairing it with a pioneer or denon reciever. I will have approx $600 for the reciever. I will be using both with a 50" panasonic plasma and a blueray player. Its going to be setup in my basement and used 80% of the time for movies and 20% of the time for music. Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
498 Posts
Start your search in the speaker section, they are the most important part of the system. If you are looking to be around $2000, then break up your budget. Figure in the $1000 range for the 5 speakers with most of that budget for the front 3. They are the most important, the surrounds can be much lower cost in most cases. Once you have decided on speaker, move to subwoofer. Figure $400-500 there to get a quality HT sub. Once they are both done, then come back here to the receiver section. In most cases the $500 range should work great, unless you happen to decide on some power hungry speakers but you'll know what speakers you are buying so people can give better recommendations.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just took a look at that package and the subwoofer may be the weak point. In most cases for home theater you want at least a 12" or larger. There are exceptions of course, but I think you could do much better on the sub.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Do a search for Aperion and you'll hit their owner's thread. You can call up the company to see if anyone is close to you that will let you audition them. If not, last I check, Aperion ships free both ways. Klipsch have a reputation as being more forward than other speakers so I am not sure if Aperion will fit your taste.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you like the Klipsch you heard at BB, then you could look at their bookshelf options instead of towers. Since you are using them for 80% HT, then with a good sub they will sound great. They have list price on their website so that gives you a base, then search online for the best price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great replies. I guess my problem may be that I want a superior system for a low price. My only previous experience is with a bose 5.1 and a yamaha reciever. The thing I didnt like about the definitive 800 system was that there seemed to be a lack of mid range sound. The highs and lows seemed to be more broken up. The klipsch tower speakers along with the center rear and sub, really had more of a full body sound. Thats why I was considering aperion, they have tower speakers also in their setup. Cnet gave them a great review. In best buy they were running pioneer elite receivers. It seems the elite 03 would be in my price range. Any input on that?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think your budget it fine and you will be able to get an incredible system, but you will need to make wise choices to maximize your money. It may require a little ore research to get what you want, but I think it's very doable. Don't spend any extra money on the receiver side, that's not your best bang for the buck. You want to get the best speakers for your money. Most $400 receivers today have all of the features most people need and plenty of power. Plus receiver technology moves much faster than speakers technology. A great pair of speakers will last you a lot longer than a receiver due to technology changes.

With a little bit of research this is doable.

Receiver - $400

12" sub - $400

that leaves $1200 for speakers.

Hit the books, oh I mean internet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok..I'll do the search. If I spend $500 on a reciever, $1500 will be left over for speakers. Do you think this is the best way to go for my budget? Also are tower speakers better than bookshelf?

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
Do you have reservation buying gentling use speakers, and other Ht equipment ? If you don't you should take a look at Audiogon. Here are some examples, you should be careful, and check members feedback.

Depending on where you live you can end up with a kick ass system with little coin out your pocket.

Also you can always negotiate, especial the longer the ad has been around. I would talk extensively with anyone without any feed back, and see if you get a feel of legitimacy !

Good luck

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-40th-anniv-ce

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.....1-Home-Theate

Djoel

·
Registered
705 Posts
do what I said and get the 5.1 svs package then go to 6ave and pick up a pioneer elite sc05 for a great deal, then monoprice for cables etc you will come in at 2000 or just under......then be done with it LOL I don't expect you will be dissappinted at all

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know I'm asking questions that are answered in other posts, but why did the tower speakers sound so much better to me vs. the definitive technology procinema 800 system? If the reason is that tower speakers produce a better sound, what speaker system would be best for $1500 that includes towers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts