AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so new to this! My daughter wanted an outdoor movie party for her birthday and it kinda exploded and now we are turning our basement family room into a theater room. We will be re doing the kitceen area and game room as part of the renovation. First, we are on a strict budget. We know we want the optima 33. We have a decent sound system and will be purchasing a second ( woofer??? Idk the technical parts...my boyfriend handles that part!) I am thinking 106" fixed screen but have NO CLUE what to get really. The room is 15.5 long by 12.5 wide and is mostly for kids to show off to friends and for family movie nights. We have a row of 4 theater seats we want on a riser (not sure of the details of riser) with a bar for snacking on pizza behind the theater chairs. Up front will be a sofa. Someday we will replace with nice reclining seats. The components will be on the wall in the room behind the theater, which will be our kitchen turned concession stand/wine room. Lets see what else....we scored a lighted movie poster display. Have a cool popcorn cart. Some wine racks and coca cola napkin dispenser and straw dispensers. I also traded for an awesome coke counter fridge. We are getting nice new cabinets and DVD racks. We have a fooseball, air hockey and 3 in one bumper pool table. Also have a cool "disco room" set up in the game room with karaoke and disco lights for the kids. So a little something for everyone. I'd love to hear advise help and input!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sounds like a killer basement. You'll get some great feedback from this group. I'll start by suggesting you sketch out the room to scale so you know exactly what you can fit and what you can't. It will also help us understand how your space works and how each room relates to the others. Pictures would be helpful as well.

My first reaction is it sounds like you might be trying to fit too much into the room. A 15.5' long room is not deep enough for a front row sofa, a 2nd row of theater seats and a 3rd row bar, especially if your theater seats are the reclining variety. Is soundproofing one of your goals? I would also recommend holding off on buying any of the equipment until you know exactly how your room will be laid out. Screen size will be determined based on your seating positions so you will need to dial those in before settling on a screen size. You'll also need to decide on screen format (aspect ratio-16:9 vs. 2.35:1) and whether or not it needs to be acoustically transparent (will your speakers be behind the screen or to the side).

·
Registered
874 Posts
Welcome to the obsession! Sounds like you have some "stuff" already, now to figure out the room. If you have any drawings or pictures of the space, that would be helpful. What rooms are adjacent/above? Are you concerned about soundproofing? For your room depth, it will be very difficult if not impossible to get a front row couch, back row theater seats, and a 3rd row bar. Just not enough depth there. Do you want to have the speakers behind the screen, or out in the open?

If you can provide some more detail and pics, you will get a lot of great advice from the crowd.

Edit: Spaceman you type too fast!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I'm working on drawings. I will warn you, I'm a photographer and LOVE pics, also I will warn you, my iPhone pics and ipad pics will stink. But there will be LOTS of them! Lol! Here is the stairway. We removed shelving for food storage and put up some posters. This will be a dark maroon to match my kitchen and still be a good theater color.
[/URL]

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm going through my build right now as well and have similar objectives. One of your pics caught my eye- what is that reel of LED lights with a remote control? I'm looking into LEDS to illuminate shelves in my bar that in turn illuminate the bottles sitting on them, as well as to pop into crown mouldings mounted an inch or so down from the ceilings to get that cool glow effect on the ceiling.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are very cool! eBay search "led light tape". I paid $15 for 16' and you can cut them every 3 lights. I just ordered 2 more. They are very fun and give an exciting feel to the room...my kids sit and switch colors and flashing for an hour!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And for the rest of us....who aren't spending an arm and a leg and are without floor plan software.... This is 1/2 my basement. At the bottom of the drawing there is one big open space not drawn, a little less than the size of what is drawn. That currently is the game room. Just a big unfinished room full of toys karaoke and air hockey etc. The right 1/2 of the drawing is what I am concentrating on now. The stairs lead down to the wine room/ concession stand and then into the proposed theater room. I have a to scale drawing of the theater room that I will post as soon as I make a few furniture items to move around on the plan. As you can see I go from serious room building to random fun item purchases. It helps me imagine how cool it will be someday
So what are your major concerns? I know some think the sofa might be too close, but the back of it falls in the little chart thingy my boyfriend was looking at for seat placement. And the doors on opposite sides of the room isn't ideal, but that is what we have to work with for now. We did a trial run with the kids last Friday and they had a blast!! I will post pictures of what the rough room looks like now. Also, for a name we are thinking " to the moon and back theater" because its always about the kids

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Are the seats in your second row reclining theater seats or traditional theater seats with the folding seat bottom?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok getting some pics up so you all can have a better idea what I'm talking about. This is the concession stand/wine room at the bottom of the steps. Kinda thrown together for a pizza night with the kids.
[/URL] then while shopping for the last few cabinets I wanted...these happened! And they were free!!!! I'm happy!!!!

Here the kids are posing for an exciting movie shot. This is the general idea of the layout. 12" deep bar behind them. Shabby couch in front and a random shot towards the front of the theater. It is chuck full of everything from the old cabinets

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok now to answer some more questions: sound proofing: is not a priority. The ceiling is currently insulated in the theater room only. We will be installing drop ceilings with regular panels. I am sewing velvet curtains partly for sound absorption and partly because it looks cool. I think I might remove the door to the concession room and put up curtains. Also a curtain over and to be pulled to the side of the screen. This will also visually block the door that will be next to the screen. I will have curtains over the bifold doors on the side of the theater and will make 1-2 sound panels to visually balance those on the other side of the theater. We are also hoping to get a plush carpet rather then a low pile commercial one. Is this adequate sound proofing? As for speakers, they will not be behind the screen. I don't know what the aspect ratio difference is. We thought 16-9. I believe the other one is for specially formatted movies, correct?

·
Registered
758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch  /t/1469781/complete-newbey-overwhelmed#post_23247591

Ok now to answer some more questions: sound proofing: is not a priority. The ceiling is currently insulated in the theater room only. We will be installing drop ceilings with regular panels. I am sewing velvet curtains partly for sound absorption and partly because it looks cool. I think I might remove the door to the concession room and put up curtains. Also a curtain over and to be pulled to the side of the screen. This will also visually block the door that will be next to the screen. I will have curtains over the bifold doors on the side of the theater and will make 1-2 sound panels to visually balance those on the other side of the theater. We are also hoping to get a plush carpet rather then a low pile commercial one. Is this adequate sound proofing? As for speakers, they will not be behind the screen. I don't know what the aspect ratio difference is. We thought 16-9. I believe the other one is for specially formatted movies, correct?

Most movies are 2.35:1. Most of them, not some specialty movies. The 16:9 movies are fewer and fewer now.

·
Registered
28,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest  /t/1469781/complete-newbey-overwhelmed#post_23248531

Most movies are 2.35:1. Most of them, not some specialty movies. The 16:9 movies are fewer and fewer now.

This is not accurate. The ratio of 1.85:1 movies to 2.35:1 movies has been approximately 50/50 for decades and shows no signs of changing. If you happen to see more of one than the other, that has more to do with your personal viewing habits and taste in movies than what's actually being produced. Also, all HDTV shows are 16:9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch  /t/1469781/complete-newbey-overwhelmed#post_23248567

Ok so are the projectors formatted for 16:9?? I don't understand why I see more 16:9 screens then? What am I missing?

megdagooch, see this tutorial on Constant Image Height projection:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/2798

There's also a forum on this site dedicated to the topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/117/2-35-1-constant-image-height-chat

Building a theater room can get extremely complicated quickly with a myriad of decisions. Don't let yourself get in over your head, especially if you're on a budget. Decide what you really want the room to be, and try to focus on the essentials.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts