AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep...

Camcorder hunting. Can you tell me if what I want to do is even possible?

I want to be able to plug into audio outs from a soundboard and record the audio portion this way. Can you even do that?

Our church has a coffee house setting in low light and I'd like to be able to record these and post the videos.

Also I would like to record our music and sermons during church and again record those thru the soundboard.

I would appreciate recomendations as to what type of equipment anyone would suggest, and no I'm not wealthy. I've been browsing camcorders under $500. Thank you!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Recording from the soundboard is an excellent idea. If only a camcorder, you'll want one with external mic input, with line option. My Panasonic TM700 won't do; it has mic only, no line input. The other camera I have experience with is the Sony VX 2000 and VX 2100. They are older SD cameras, but their external mic input is switchable between mic and line. They have excellent optics, good in low light. These are the ones we use in church. The camera mic is unsatisfactory for recording a church service.

One other essential is a good tripod. I am partial to the Bogen-Manfrotto 3046 legs and 3047 Head, new style, short, round, not fluted handles. With the 3047 head, I can loosen the tilt by twisting the handle, motorcycle throttle style, pan and tilt, and tighten the tilt with one hand, leaving the other hand free for simultaneous zooming.

I lengthened the tilt handle to about a foot by using a length of 1 1/2" ABS plumbing pipe, sawing a series of slots 3 inches into one end, spaced about 1/2 inch apart, slip a hose clamp over the end, slip that over the tilt handle and tighten the clamp. Much better, smoother control.

Had you considered recording to a dvd recorder (dvdr)? You could bring your audio directly into the recorder. Again, that is SD. There is a whole section on this forum devoted to DVD Recorders.

Multiple cameras and video mixer--- you can grow!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts