AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some guidance in the setting of not having an easy time auditioning speakers these days.

My current setup: I got as a gift, in 2004, PSB Alpha bookshelf speakers and a Sherweood RX-4105 amplifier. I have a CD player (nothing fancy) going into the amp and a chromecast ultra going into my TV, and the TV out goes to the amp. I listen to music through the chromecast ultras through the TV. A cheap setup that produces ok sound that has served me well for years. One of the PSBs has developed an infrequent rattle and I'm looking to make a serious upgrade. I live in the states.

What I'm looking for:

-Floorstanding speakers

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Look at the JBL Studio 590's. Last I looked they were $460 each delivered. I think they have free return shipping.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,746 Posts
I was recently searching for the best overall tower speakers I could get for under $2000. Auditioning in person was not of interest to me, but rather just wanted to make a decision based on objective facts I.e. measured performance. I narrowed things down to 3-4 options, then let aesthetics be the final arbiter. Also chose them based on sensitivity and power handling, and wanted a wide dispersion design. I ended up with Revel F36 and couldn’t be happier. There are other good speakers in the price range but none imo that are clearly better. They will be under budget for you.

For electronics, I recommend a Denon X3xxx AVR i.e. 3500/3600/3700. Very high fidelity with plenty of power, audibly transparent signal, speaker eq below Schroeder as required for high fidelity, and excellent dual sub eq, also a requirement for high fidelity.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For 2 channel music these Canton's would be excellent with their smooth ceramic tweeter. Also comes with free center channel so if you decide to do any home theater you have that covered.
These also seem like a good deal...Canton's not a brand I'm terribly familiar with, and I'm having trouble finding any reviews. Any additional insights you might have on these?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was recently searching for the best overall tower speakers I could get for under $2000. Auditioning in person was not of interest to me, but rather just wanted to make a decision based on objective facts I.e. measured performance. I narrowed things down to 3-4 options, then let aesthetics be the final arbiter. Also chose them based on sensitivity and power handling, and wanted a wide dispersion design. I ended up with Revel F36 and couldn’t be happier. There are other good speakers in the price range but none imo that are clearly better. They will be under budget for you.

For electronics, I recommend a Denon X3xxx AVR i.e. 3500/3600/3700. Very high fidelity with plenty of power, audibly transparent signal, speaker eq below Schroeder as required for high fidelity, and excellent dual sub eq, also a requirement for high fidelity.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! This is very helpful. Do you mind my asking what else you were looking at?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
check out the ascend acoustics CMT-340 + the stands ( equal a tower). will leave enough to add a decent ID sub(hsu, rythmic,etc) and still come in under budget. as for the AVR and streaming: Denon ( with HEOS)

the JBL 590s already mentioned are a good value on sale - tons of positive reviews. I have the 530s and they rate high on the fun scale

good luck, rock on

·
Registered
296 Posts
yes

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I were to go with the Chane A5.5s, any recommendations on a amp/receiver upgrade (looking for just stereo at this point) vs. keeping my current POS (that has good power, at least) and wiring something like a Node 2i into it for streaming capabilities?

This has been an extremely helpful day. Y'all are awesome.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
How much you thinking of spending? You can get good mid-fi receivers from Marantz, Yamaha, and Denon. Try to find one with pre-out capability, as you may want to upgrade the power amp at some point (Chanes do enjoy some power in reserve).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much you thinking of spending? You can get good mid-fi receivers from Marantz, Yamaha, and Denon. Try to find one with pre-out capability, as you may want to upgrade the power amp at some point (Chanes do enjoy some power in reserve).
I think for an amplifier + streaming capabilities, I'd like to stay under $1000 dollars, and if it's possible to do it for a lot less, I'd love to.

I've actually just been looking at whether doing the powernode 2i as the all-in-one as a solution. All the reviews make it sound like it punches above its weight from a sound quality/output standpoint while still having the great streaming capabilities. But it sounds like, if I'm reading between the lines from what you're saying, that might not be a great option.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
No, it's not my intention to dissuade you from that option. In fact, I would try it out with the Chanes and see if it will do the job. Much depends on the room layout and your volume proclivities. If you find that it works, then you are done. If you find it lacking, then return it and try again. There are no guarantees when pairing amp to speaker, you just have to hear it for yourself. You might consider the Node 2i with a separate amp, if you are displeased with the PowerNode .... best of both worlds.

I looked for some real-world power measurements and could not find a single one. Given that, there is no way to know if the 60 watts is a conservative rating or some marketing managers's fantasy. So, back to square one ... hearing is believing. 91 dB sensitivity is a good starting point.

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
If I were to go with the Chane A5.5s, any recommendations on a amp/receiver upgrade (looking for just stereo at this point) vs. keeping my current POS (that has good power, at least) and wiring something like a Node 2i into it for streaming capabilities?
Amazon has a "renewed" Yamaha TSR-7850 I'd look into. One of the nice things about the Chanes is that they are an easy load to drive, no need for any hefty power source.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts