AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm from Denmark, glad to be here....

I need a pair of speakers, amp and CD-player.

Budget is max 8000 US dollars, listening room is 30 square meters, I listen mostly to pop and some rock, a little classical. I like good bass, detailed midrange and clean treble (not bright or harsh in any way).

I have some ideas, here's my first:

Speakers = PSB Synchrony Two

AMP = Primare i30

CD = Sony SCD-XA5400ES

I've listened to the speakers above, and they sound great for the price, I have heard the amp and CD with other speakers and it does sound good, just worried if the combination is too bright with the PSB speakers ?

Do you have any other combination in this price range I should consider ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'd replace the amp with the new advanced class d NAD M2 which should be around $3500 discounted and buy a cheap CD transport as the NAD accepts digital coax. It would be perfectly balanced and won't be too bright to my ears. Otherwise, the NAD mated with a higher end model from Newform Research.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmm... at this price point I would go

CD =Sony SCD-XA5400ES ($1500)

Integrated amp - NAD M3 ($2799)

Speakers = B&W 703 ($3000)

Get the best speakers you can afford they will make the biggest difference. You need good clean power also, I would put the lest amount of money into the cd player.... This would be a killer 2 channel setup though... Can't wait to hear what you end up buying.

·
23,032 Posts
Nothing will sound like it "should" if you don't spend some money room treatments. If it's a dedicated room you'll be able to make the most of speaker placement and room treatments. I'd also definitely consider the used market. You can get much bigger bang for your buck. Don't be surprised is every body has a different opinion on what you should buy.

larry

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/16981303

Nothing will sound like it "should" if you don't spend some money room treatments. If it's a dedicated room you'll be able to make the most of speaker placement and room treatments. I'd also definitely consider the used market. You can get much bigger bang for your buck. Don't be surprised is every body has a different opinion on what you should buy.

larry

hahah no everything I picked is perfect in everyway ahhah Just kidding... Seriously I would say expect everyone to tell you something different to buy and you need to get what YOU like... The odds of any of us ever getting to enjoy your setup are pretty slim. Audiogon has some great used gear. I bought my B&W speakers of there and love them. They came good as new and I saved big bucks...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flat out best bang for the buck system (These speakers should hang with anything in the $20-30k range... I say "should" because I've not listened to ALL the speakers in the 20-30k range
) :

A set of Duet10A's from clearwave ($3000):

Duet10A's: http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com/...nfoduet10.html

Duet 10A frequency response chart (In Room):

Duet10A driver distortion measurements:

Here's the Illuminator Air Circ tweeter distortion at around 85-90db:

Here's the Accuton C173 T6 90's distortion measurements:

Here's the Scan Speak 26W 8 ohm:

Crossover components:

The premium crossover has low DCR air core coils on the woofer circuit and high purity copper air core inductors are used everywhere. The resistors are all Mills. The Budget crossovers use all ERSE capacitors, inductors, and resistors. The woofer circuit has a magnet core low DCR coil and the rest is all air core high purity copper inductors.

2X Emotiva XPA-1 Monoblock amps (1000W RMS into 4ohms each) @$1000 each:
http://emotiva.com/xpa1.shtm

Emotiva ERC-1 Cd player @$399:
http://emotiva.com/erc1.shtm

Total:

$5400+shipping.... Now spend the other $2600 on room treatment

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/16996727

craigrhyne - I must be missing something in the setup your recommending. How would you control volume with that setup?

You don't
The original poster asked about an amp, speakers, and cd player.. Based on that, I assumed he already owned a quality preamp. You know what they say about assuming though..

If, however, the op does need a preamp, he might look into the Emotiva ERC-1:
http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

Here is a vid describing some the equipment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflLm...layer_embedded

I know I must appear to be a huge Emotiva fanboy, but I've done a lot of research and auditioning, and Emotiva has been my choice. I think the op will get a lot more benefit from appropriate room treatment with the $ saved than spending $ on uber high end equipment. There is always a point of diminishing returns, and when working within a budget, it is wise to keep this in mind if you are aiming to procure the best possible sound quality

·
Registered
224 Posts
NHT Xd system on audiogon (few for ~$3k last time I checked)

and give Revel speakers a listen too.

My Primare I21 is under power for hungry loads....of course I30 is a lot better.

I would still A/B I30 w/ other high-current amps.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrhyne /forum/post/16996841

You don't
The original poster asked about an amp, speakers, and cd player.. Based on that, I assumed he already owned a quality preamp. You know what they say about assuming though..

If, however, the op does need a preamp, he might look into the Emotiva ERC-1:
http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

Here is a vid describing some the equipment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflLm...layer_embedded

I know I must appear to be a huge Emotiva fanboy, but I've done a lot of research and auditioning, and Emotiva has been my choice. I think the op will get a lot more benefit from appropriate room treatment with the $ saved than spending $ on uber high end equipment. There is always a point of diminishing returns, and when working within a budget, it is wise to keep this in mind if you are aiming to procure the best possible sound quality

I agree that emotiva makes a nice amp, however I'm surprised they don't make a balanced preamp. I still think he will get a cleaner sound from the NAD M3 over the Emotiva preamp/amp. Also NAD has a balanced input but the Emotiva pre doesn't... I was surprised to see that emotiva left this out as well as balanced outputs... I haven't heard your speaker choice but they sound interesting. I was thinking of recommending the emotiva cd player but left it out sense it didn't offer sacd decoding... If this isn't important I would get the emotiva cd and save $1100.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Everybody willl swear they are giving you the best advice, but I really think you should checkout and hear what I recommend below.

Speakers: Songtowers by Salk Signature Sound, at www.salksound.com

These are custom built with custom finishes, and sound clean and clear. I have the V3s which are two models up, but have heard these. They are less than $2000.00 /pair for the some doem tweeter model. Call Jim Salk and he will discuss your wants and needs personally.

CD Player: Cambridge Audio 640C-V2, (to be replaced ny the 650C) I have this CD player and it is a definite step up in clarity and detail from the older Yamaha CD player and NAD CD players I've had. It retails around $650.00

Also, I am hearing good things about the Emotiva ERC-1 and it just may be a giant killer for best bang for the dollar at $399.00

AMP: I am assuming you mean an integrated amp, not just a power amp. Here I have to rely on association and reputation since what I have and plan to do is out of your price range. I like the Cambridge Audio items and suggest you look at their 840 series integrated amp or separates, (Or their receivers). $1000.00 to $1500.00 depending on which way you go. Here again the Emotiva stuff may be a giant killer but I would wait on their XSP preamp, the USP preamp has some minor quirks. Also, there are a good many really good used amps/preamps integrated out there too.

Tuners are a dime a dozen. Decent ones can be had new or used at very reasonable prices.

Now lets see, we have only spent about $3500.00 of your money. Use the balance for some acoustic treatments AND good music.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh ya I forgot to say you have to post what you end up getting
It will be interesting to see what you end up getting
I agree with the above that everyone will claim they are giving you the best advice. For instace I can't stand the sound of Bose Speakers and there are other people that will tell you how great they are... lots of opinion in this area. Take everyones advice as research and get what you like

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman /forum/post/17000400

Everybody willl swear they are giving you the best advice, but I really think you should checkout and hear what I recommend below.

Speakers: Songtowers by Salk Signature Sound, at www.salksound.com

These are custom built with custom finishes, and sound clean and clear. I have the V3s which are two models up, but have heard these. They are less than $2000.00 /pair for the some doem tweeter model. Call Jim Salk and he will discuss your wants and needs personally.

CD Player: Cambridge Audio 640C-V2, (to be replaced ny the 650C) I have this CD player and it is a definite step up in clarity and detail from the older Yamaha CD player and NAD CD players I've had. It retails around $650.00

Also, I am hearing good things about the Emotiva ERC-1 and it just may be a giant killer for best bang for the dollar at $399.00

AMP: I am assuming you mean an integrated amp, not just a power amp. Here I have to rely on association and reputation since what I have and plan to do is out of your price range. I like the Cambridge Audio items and suggest you look at their 840 series integrated amp or separates, (Or their receivers). $1000.00 to $1500.00 depending on which way you go. Here again the Emotiva stuff may be a giant killer but I would wait on their XSP preamp, the USP preamp has some minor quirks. Also, there are a good many really good used amps/preamps integrated out there too.

Tuners are a dime a dozen. Decent ones can be had new or used at very reasonable prices.

Now lets see, we have only spent about $3500.00 of your money. Use the balance for some acoustic treatments AND good music.

I like this idea. Salk speakers are excellent for the money since they are basically a DIY speaker company. However, why not got with the HT-3 and skimp on the amp and cd player a little bit? That would get you much better sound than the songtowers + any amp/cd-player combo.

You are right about the room treatments though. They are the second biggest contributor to the sound after speakers.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochymama /forum/post/17001124

I like this idea. Salk speakers are excellent for the money since they are basically a DIY speaker company. However, why not got with the HT-3 and skimp on the amp and cd player a little bit? That would get you much better sound than the songtowers + any amp/cd-player combo.

You are right about the room treatments though. They are the second biggest contributor to the sound after speakers.

The HT-3 will eat up most of his budget. If he steps up, I would only recommend stepping up to the V3 or the HT2-TL models. They get so close to the HT-3 its scary and aren't quite as power hungry for loud volume although they do play nice with just about any amplification. He could go all Emotiva on the electronics to save some cash using their XPA-2 amp and ERC-1 CD player and give up probabaly little or nothing in sound quality, but Emotiva's current preamp is a bit bare bones for $399.99, and has a couple of operational quirks that some people are not found of, (as posted on the Emotiva forums).

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman /forum/post/17027367

The HT-3 will eat up most of his budget. If he steps up, I would only recommend stepping up to the V3 or the HT2-TL models. They get so close to the HT-3 its scary and aren't quite as power hungry for loud volume although they do play nice with just about any amplification. He could go all Emotiva on the electronics to save some cash using their XPA-2 amp and ERC-1 CD player and give up probabaly little or nothing in sound quality, but Emotiva's current preamp is a bit bare bones for $399.99, and has a couple of operational quirks that some people are not found of, (as posted on the Emotiva forums).

The HT-3 would only eat up $5,000, leaving him with $3,000 dollars for electronics. $3,000 is way more then he should spend on electronics anyway. Electronics make up less than 1% of the sound when driven under their limits. Speakers and room treatments make up about 50% each. IMO, if you spend $5,000 on speakers, you should spend no more than $1,000 on electronics.

Going with an Emotiva XPA-2 and ERC-1 would put you at $1,100 which is acceptable, but honestly, he could do better. A Face F700TS can be had for $700 and puts out 700w x 2 into 4 ohms which is 200 more than the emotiva, for the same price. Also, theres really no need to spend $400 on a CD player when the exact same quality(maybe not as visually appealing) can be had for $100.

All in all that leaves about $2,000 for room treatments.

Fact : $5,000 worth of speakers and $1,000 worth of electronics will sound better than $4,000 worth of speakers and $3,000 worth of electronics if the speakers are of comparable value. $5,000 worth of speakers, $1,000 worth of electronics, and $2,000 worth of room treatments will sound leagues better than $4,000 worth of speakers and $3,000 worth of electronics if the speakers are of comparable. Lastly, $5,000 worth of speakers, $1,000 worth of speakers, and $2,000 worth of room treatments will completely CRUSH $1,500 worth of speakers and $6,500 worth of electronics. Hell you could throw $50,000 worth of electronics in and it would still get crushed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts