AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my new screen and wanted thank everyone who has posted anything to do with a DYI screen in the last few months. I've read ever I could and used all of it to build my own screen.

It's a 16:9 96" screen made from the Parkland material. I mounted it onto a 1/4" piece of MDF using contact cement. I'm waiting the arrival of my InFocus 7200 so I sprayed the screen with Glidden's Universal Grey. I'm anxiously waiting to see the image the 7200 throws on it. If I'm not completely satisfied I may try ScreenGoo but for now I'll wait until I get the PJ.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great looking screen -- and a great looking theater as well!

I am a couple of weeks away from completing the work on my theater and will be ordering a projector soon (probably the Sanyo PLV-Z1). I've spent a lot of time reading all of the threads on the parkland screen and have thought about building one myself.

One thing I don't understand about the parkland screen. I thought from the original posts, that it was supposed to be a great screen by itself. If you are going to apply any type of paint, gesso, or goo, why did you use the parkland plastic instead of just painting the mdf directly? Wouldn't you get the same results without the plastic?

Has anyone done any comparisons of using goo (or any other paint type material) over parkland vs. mdf vs. drywall vs. blackout cloth. As long as the surface is smooth, flat, and accepts paint, does the subsurface make a difference?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Your DIY Parkland looks great! I would like to try the Parkland also. How big was the MDF that you used? I want to get a 5x10 piece of PP for a 110" diag. screen but I can't find any MDF that size. Did you have a hard time getting it to lay flat? Thanks for your input. Your theater looks wonderful !!

Regards,

Anthony :cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

Due to the fact I was going to be using a DLP I wanted to make sure I toned the Parkland down a little bit. I could have painted directly onto the MDF but I liked the texture of the Parkland material and knew that it would accept the paint very well.

The MDF I used was a standard 4'x8' sheet. I got it from Lowes and I do not believe they sell any sheet goods that will allow you to do a 110" with a single sheet. I would have gone a little wider on mine, but as you can see from the picture I was restricted due to the way the room is shaped and the fact the right hand wall is load bearing and I couldn't bump it out without having to add support posts and I didn't want to do that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
DaveDel,

Great looking screen and room!!

Can you tell me what color is on the wall. Is it paint or wallpaper? thanks..

jammarjim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a Ralph Lauren paint I purchased at HD.

The upper half is called Picture Red and the bottom half is called Spiget Grey or something like that.

I used an eggshell finish to get a somewhat durable finish (two kids under 5) that I could wipe off. It has a fairly low sheen and so far has stood up to the kids, but it will get a real test when the movie nights with neighborhood kids start next month.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i saw the same sheets @ lowes' but they looked bowed and anything but flat... i figured 3/4'' was the only thing that would be reliably flat, but so heavy!

does yours lay flat, or is it supported on all the corners? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine turned out perfectly flat using the 1/4" mdf. The frame was built using 1" x 4" poplar. The frame isn't super study but if you can see in the picture I have a shelf that runs along the front wall and I have the frame resting on it and it supports the frame along it's entire length. So far it's been up for a few weeks and it's as straight as it can get. I'm assuming it will stay that way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi guys,

Sorry for my ignorance, what is MDF means ? I am looking for a meterial that could back the Parkland screen flat before I frame it...

Many thanks..

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
MDF is an abreviation for medium density fibreboard, otherwise known as craftwood. It is a man-made material, consisting of basically saw dust and glue, made under high pressure. Its commonly used in the same applications that chipboard can be, but is flatter and stronger. Pretty cheap too.

Note the dust is cancinogenic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My frame is mainly for looks. I could have mounted the sceen directly to the wall and it would have been fine. I wanted to add a frame to help the looks and the functionality of the frame. The black frame help absorb any light bleed from the projector.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, there Audax speakers. There laminated with oak veneer and stained with a black dye. The sub is a customized enclosure with a Adire Shiva driver.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dave:

Your theatre looks fantastic. Congratulations, very nice job.

Ron (I think Parkland should be giving me a little cut on my find)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. The room is 12x22 with mostly 9' ceilings. The picture I posted was taken from the front edge of the platform in the back. I order my 7200 on Monday and I'm being told it will arrive b4 Christmas (I'll beleive that when it happens). I'll post an update on how it looks after that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Off the subject a little; how do those Audax speakers perform (say compared to a set of mid-range Polk or Infinity). I've just ordered the parts to make them. Luckily, I work at a place that has plenty of tools for construction (in our pattern shop). I was thinking about a nice piano black finish. Hope I have the patience needed for my selective tastes :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.