AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I'm no expert but I've done this several times before on several systems. Current system was set up fine, I tried a new receiver but decided not to keep it so I put my old one back in. Just for grins I thought I'd redo the calibration. It ain't working. It was setup before and went as expected so I can't figure out what changed.

Onkyo HT-RC460

7.1 in- ceiling speakers

Radio Shack SPL meter

Crossovers set at 100Mhz

My basic steps:

Physically measure speaker distance--set up in the menu

Sit in listening position with volume on RX at 75 and test tone menu on.

SPL meter "C" weight, "Slow" held out in front of my head.

Here's the kicker, I now have to turn almost every channel DOWN to -12db to reach the 75. As if they're all just way too loud to begin with. Obviously this isn't right and it wasn't like this when I first bought and setup the RX. Can anyone figure out what I might have done? Some setting I'm missing. Any help is appreciated. And let me know if I missed some info you need.

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally tried that, but always liked to set it up manually. I will plug in the Audyssey mic and see what comes out again. Thanks..

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I don't have your receiver but I haven't seen a receiver that is an absolute measurement such that 75 on the columns dial correlates to 75db spl.

As another poster said, run audyssey and it will set levels and distance for you. Then turn off audyssey if you don't like it, your distances and levels will remain.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I ran the Audyssey Full EQ setup again. Came out pretty good. At least the levels make sense for where the speakers are and the distances were pretty spot on. I'll probably leave it alone after tinkering with where the sub should go.

I wouldn't have done a setup like this myself but we bought the house and it came with all the speakers, and a nice 1080p projector and screen that comes down out of the ceiling. It doesn't exactly suck.
Thanks everybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts