AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend coming over this afternoon with an xbox to try it out in my home theater. I am using an NEC VT540 projector. My question is how to get the best picture possible using the xbox. After doing some searches here I cannot find the information I am looking for.

I currently own an ISCAN and a HTPC with a Zoltrix TV-MAX card to be used with Dscaler. I assume given these devices the HTPC would be the best option since it should be a superior scaler to the ISCAN....correct?

I don't have a transcoder but what about this option? I see a lot of people buying the transcoder to use with their projector. This doesn't make any sense to me if the projector can handle component inputs. Isn't the whole idea of keeping the signal pure to decrease the number of conversions? Why convert a signal to VGA when your projector can accept component anyway?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ask your friend if he has the HD pack and just hook up the component inputs to the projector. The HD pack is only $20. The HD pack gives you a true 480p signal and isn't generated by de-interlacing. The HD pack also gives you the ability to do widescreen if you so desire. It should be superior to anything dScaler or Iscan can do.

·
Registered
564 Posts
There are two XBox add-ons that might interest you.

The HD AV Pack uses component cables. Some (but not many) games have 480p, but any game will look better via a component connection.

The Advanced AV Pack has a S-Video connection.

Both the HD and Advanced have RCA connections for left and right sound. Both have a digital optical connection. If you receiver has an extra optical input, I highly recommend using it! Halo is a cool game. Halo with 5.1 sound is a really cool game. I just love looking around in Halo and hearing the sounds move around me.

--Burke

·
Registered
404 Posts
or you can get the SVGA output (non-micrsoft).

Is 480p a menu selection in the xbox? What about the 1080i?

·
Registered
221 Posts
All games support 480p as far as I know. You go to a menu and choose which HDTV resolutions your display supports 480p, 720p, 1080i. The game will go to the highest resolution that it supports and is selected.

You get to this screen through the dashboard - which comes up when you don't have a game disc inserted. The dashboard is always at 480i to allow you to back out of a mistaken resolution choice.

When the game starts the xbox will then switch resolutions.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BurkeLaShell
The HD AV Pack uses component cables. Some (but not many) games have 480p, but any game will look better via a component connection.
All XBox games do 480p (but not all do widescreen) and there are a couple slated that are suppose to do 1080i, but those always seem to slip.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drewman
All games support 480p as far as I know. You go to a menu and choose which HDTV resolutions your display supports 480p, 720p, 1080i. The game will go to the highest resolution that it supports and is selected.

You get to this screen through the dashboard - which comes up when you don't have a game disc inserted. The dashboard is always at 480i to allow you to back out of a mistaken resolution choice.

When the game starts the xbox will then switch resolutions.

Andrew
What happens if your TV/pj only does 1080i and not the other two resolutions. The games that are not specific to 1080i won't show up the screen? tia

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hk29

What happens if your TV/pj only does 1080i and not the other two resolutions. The games that are not specific to 1080i won't show up the screen? tia
I would be surprised to see a projector that can do component 1080i but not 480p. Is there a specific model that does this?

BTW, you only get the option for higher resolutions if the HD pack is plugged in.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Well for the record my Sony W400Q does 1080i and 480i but won't do 480p so...yes at least there is one. :)

Regards

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Well the W400Q was ahead of its time in many respects, but is there a post-millennium projector that does this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.