AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on what's the best way to run speaker wire near ground level so that it's completely hidden?

I've just installed a new laminate floor and before I buy and install the new floor moulding, I wanted to lay down my speaker wires. Initially, I was thinking about running them along the 1/4" gap between the new floor and the drywall, however, since the speaker wire itself is 1/4" thick, I'm worried that they might be squeezed if there is any floor expansion. Then, I started thinking that I could probably create "grooves/channels" in the floor moulding (or drywall behind the moulding) to hold the wires so that the moulding will be flush with my wall when installed. Since this seems like it might be a bit of work (my Left, Center and Right channel runs total 80 feet) I just wanted to see if anyone has done this before or if there were any easier alternatives.

I should add that I live in a single level condo so I can't have runs going down through the floor.

Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If your lam flooring is on a plywood base you should have minimal expansion if any at all. If you have a consistent gap I would use it,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
In my case I just tucked it in the gap between the carpet tack strip and drywall. It's a tight fit but when the moulding goes on it's no problem. I'd use the gap too, the laminate I installed in my office (plywood floor) hasn't shifted or anything.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Guys, now you know you're supposed to buy those special cable-lifter doo-dads and lift your speaker cable a few inches off the floor for better imaging right? :) :) :)

Cary

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My base is concrete and I know there are some crazy temperature swings here in Canada between Summer and Winter so I'm a bit concerned with possible expansion.

Cutting the bottom 1/2" from the drywall base is probably easier then creating channels in the drywall/moulding so I'll probably take a look at that solution.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I read of someone on this forum who installed removeable baseboards in his room and used velcro so they would attach to the wall. I think that would work well for hiding speaker wires and would be very easy if you ever needed to get back at them.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Or use headless finishing nails. The baseboard (or skirting board) will pull right off, though you would then have to pull the nails from the wall and put in new ones when reinstalling the board.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check out wiretracks.com. They have a simple solution to this problem that might fit the bill. Never used them myself, but they look interesting.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well as others have said put them between the gap and cut the drywall... one other thing to consider is befor you use the 1/4 round bevel the bottom of the kick molding to give some clearance as well..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.