AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new around here and new to "high-end" audio.

Recently I had Logitech computer speakers plugged into the headphone jack of my HDTV and that was the extent of my audio set-up.

Anyways, I just recently bought some Bowers & Wilkins DM602 S2 speakers. I received them today and hooked them up to a Yamaha RX-900 (~1988) stereo receiver I found in the attic, and something doesn't seem to be working correctly. With the volume turned all the way up on the Yamaha, the speakers are just making a moderate volume with little bass. Most of the sound (of what little there is) seems to be coming from the tweeters.

I'm 99% sure I've wired them correctly using 12-guage speaker wire.

I'm a little unsure of my source connections though, i.e. my Playstation 3 is connected to my Sony HDTV via HDMI, and then I have an RCA audio cable going from the Audio Out section on the back of the TV into the Yamaha VCR 1 input (one of the audio inputs; I've also tried VCR 2). Is that correct? The only other option I see without a more modern receiver is to use the Playstation 3 component cable which has separate video & audio ends so that I could plug the video into the TV and the audio from the PS3 directly into the Yamaha receiver.

That's my one theory on what could possibly be wrong. The others include:

1. The Yamaha receiver is busted. It's old, and I don't know when it was last used.

2. The speakers are busted. I bought them used on eBay. They are in good physical condition though, and the domes and tweeters have no visible damage. The terminals are in perfect condition as well.

3. I connected the speaker wire wrong even though I'm 99% sure it's correct.

4. The Yamaha just doesn't have the right specs. The manual says it puts out a minimum RMS power per channel of 85W at 8ohm, and has 130W of "Dynamic Power" per channel at 8ohm while the B&Ws are rated at 120W max so I figured it was beefy enough.

5. Almost forgot this one: On the back of the Yamaha there are some input/output audio connections labeled Pre Out L/R and Main In L/R. It says in the manual if these are not being used (which they aren't) there should be a jumper pin in them. But I have no such jumper pins. I don't know if this would mess up the sound.

I apologize for the long post, and I'd like to say thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Oh, also, before I forget, I have a Harman/Kardon HK 3480 on order which should be here by the end of the week (hopefully). I bought it before I found the Yamaha in the attic, so if that's the problem it'll be fixed soon enough.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It sounds like the speakers are either wired out of phase with each other... or they're a very low dip impedance speaker that your old stereo receiver's amplifiers struggles with. IIRC it has impedance dips as low as 3 ohms, and likely at steep phase angles.

Remember, even though it's a nominal 8 ohm load, that means nothing if the bass region is a 3-4 ohm load. that will make bass/mids muddy and highs bright.

I think the harman/kardon which has very powerful and stable amplifier section will give you a better idea of the capability/condition of your speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I'm really new to audio terminology so a lot of what you said went right over my head.

What do you mean by "wired out of phase" with one another?

Also, here is a link to the Yamaha RX-900's user manual, the B&W DM602's manual, and the Harman/Kardon HK 3480's manual:

1. RX-900

2. DM602 S2

3. HK 3480

In case they help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19574614

Until you restore those jumpers, it is impossible to deal with anything else.

What could I use as a sub for the jumpers? I'm not sure the originals are still around.

Anyways, the problem is the Yamaha unit. I connected the speakers to an Onkyo TX-SR605 and they sound great. Unfortunately that unit belongs downstairs in the living room so I can only borrow it temporarily.

So would covering the jumpers on the Yamaha fix it? Or is the problem entirely something else?

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDoom /forum/post/19575489

What could I use as a sub for the jumpers? I'm not sure the originals are still around.

Get a pair of short RCA-terminated interconnects, from RS or BB, if you do not have any.

Quote:
So would covering the jumpers on the Yamaha fix it? Or is the problem entirely something else?

Well, at the moment, it is the problem. If there are other problems, you will only learn that after this is fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ScottDoom, I'm also new to high-end stereo complexities; but I ran into one of the problems you mentioned - missing jumpers. As Kal stated, the Marantz preamp I inherited didn't work until I replaced the missing jumpers on the back.

Marantz US doesn't sell replacement jumpers, maybe Yamaha does. I've read a bunch of discussions about replacing stock or missing jumpers with high end cable-jumpers and possibly getting better audio from your system these same discussions usually touch on the topic of overpriced cables.

There is a company selling such things for $50 US a pair.

Solid silver jumpers or the home made short cables being sold on ebay are options- a pair of 12 inch cables from Radio Shack has solved the problem for now ($8).

Best of luck, John

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fultronics /forum/post/19575784

ScottDoom, I'm also new to high-end stereo complexities; but I ran into one of the problems you mentioned - missing jumpers. As Kal stated, the Marantz preamp I inherited didn't work until I replaced the missing jumpers on the back.

Marantz US doesn't sell replacement jumpers, maybe Yamaha does. I've read a bunch of discussions about replacing stock or missing jumpers with high end cable-jumpers and possibly getting better audio from your system these same discussions usually touch on the topic of overpriced cables.

There is a company selling such things for $50 US a pair.

Solid silver jumpers or the home made short cables being sold on ebay are options- a pair of 12 inch cables from Radio Shack has solved the problem for now ($8).

Best of luck, John

Any pair of short RCA interconnects will do. No reason to invoke witchcraft here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts