Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just graduated from college, and I am moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area to start my new job in about a month. Having spent the past few years in my crummy dorm room watching sports and playing games on a smallish 19" TV, I was extremely eager to get out and build my own home theater.

Anyway, I have read tons of posts on here about the latest projectors (front and rear), plasma, and other CRT based TVs trying to find out what would best suit my needs. I have seen a quite a few of you on here use a front projection system (CRT or digital), and this seems quite intriguing. I have a few questions concerning these setups.

First of all, can you conceivably use a FP system as your main living room television (watching TV/sports, playing video games, movies), or would this not work because of lamp life or other factors?

Next, I see that some of you use multiple displays in your living room area (like a 27 or 32" CRT televsion or a 42" plasma along with a FP system to watch movies). This seems more like what I would have to do, thus upping the cost somewhat unless I am wrong about using front projection all by itself.

Basically, the setup I would need would involve heavy game playing (PS2, Gamecube, XBOX, etc.) and a lot of sports. I am really looking forward to blowing my mind on the upcoming college and NFL football seasons. I will be using DirecTV for all of my programming. Also, I only have one room to use for this (my living room) and it measures about 15' by 14'.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you so very much for your help. It has been extremely informative thus far browsing through the hundreds of older messages. Any information you can give me now will be greatly appreciated. I have to buy EVERYTHING for my apartment including furniture, so unfortunately I cannot devote my full 100% attention to the video aspect alone... I'll just devote 99% :).

Thanks again,

Chuck

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
If you can control the lighting in your living room (dark shades on the windows and lights with dark shades, then a front projector can be used for general purpose TV viewing and gaming. I've been doing just this since 1974. You may want to check out my web site ( www.dtvmax.com ) for information on different display technologies and products.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
912 Posts
Keep in mind that you should have adequate ventilation if you go to FP. A 3 gun CRT can put out quite a bit of heat and many of the digital units can too. Throw in some other equipment, i.e. DVD player, amplifiers, etc. in that same space and you increase the temperature. I probably wouldn't do gaming on a CRT. If you accidently leave an image sit for too long of a period it can burn it into the phosphors or if you ran say for example a game that had a line across the bottom of the screen or menu for hours day after day you would soon have that image burned in. Common sense prevails somewhat here. Right now you can probably get a good CRT projector at a price comparatable to a RPTV, but keep in mind you will most likely need a video processor and of course a set up done too which will add to the total cost. For the image size and wow factor you can't beat FP or at least I don't think so in my opinion. Have fun and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
As Ron said, light control is crucial. I can't control for light (not yet anyway), so I can't use my FPJ until about 9pm, when it gets dark here in the summer.

But I use it for TV, movies, and X-Box. Have fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright... thanks alot for the suggestions. Based upon what I have been hearing to looks like FP is definitely the way to go. I am pretty sure I will be able to control the lighting where I live because there is just one large window in the living room and nothing else. I could easily get some darkish curtains and use them to darken the room up for optimal viewing. I am looking at certain digital projectors based on their small size... I know I'm in the wrong forum for this, but are there any recommendations for a digital projector (or small CRT projector) in a room with slight ambient lighting? I heard that the Sanyo XP21N digital projector is good for this situation. What do you think? I appreciate your input, and thanks again... I can't wait to get my first projector and actually enter the world of modern home theater technology!!!

-Chuck

·
Registered
160 Posts
For small CRT Projectors, I like the ECP series from Electrohome.

I have mine set up in my bedroom with blankets over the windows.

It can get relatively hot in here with the computer, A/V equipment and the Projector on.

I am tempted to sell it, has less than 50 hours on it. I want more things for my Trans Am that I am building.

Here are 2 pics,
http://www.donpagevideo.com/pics/theater/ecp-4500a.jpg

This picture was taken around 7-8am yesterday, and it was quite bright outside.
http://www.donpagevideo.com/pics/theater/screen02.jpg

http://personal.picusnet.com/lino/ta_stats.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.