AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I thought I'd start a new thread for this though I've asked this question in the Emp owners thread. 

So I just ordered a pair of Emp Tek E55Ti's. I intend to use these mainly for 2 channel classical music but would also like to use these with my Samsung LED smart TV for the occasional movie. I have around $420 left to spare since my budget was $1000 for everything. Do I get a stereo receiver or an integrated amplifier? I also need advice about cd players.. I'm considering the following:

1) Receiver

i) Onkyo TX8050 $180 refurb

ii) Harmon Kardon 3490 $317 new   (This comes highly recommended by Emp owners whose reviews I read)

iii) Yamaha rx 797 (used)

2) CD Player

i) Onkyo c7030

ii) Yamaha cdc 697 (used)

Any other recommendations for what I should get to complete my system for the $420 I have left over in my budget?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Enjoy your speakers ,I just saw the old thread ,yes you shouldn't worry about the bass set then to 80hz with a sub and you should be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1501418/completing-a-stereo-set-up-with-emp-tek-e55tis#post_23990164

Enjoy your speakers ,I just saw the old thread ,yes you shouldn't worry about the bass set then to 80hz with a sub and you should be perfectly fine.
Thanks, I don't intend to get a sub for now. I figured I could put the $199 into something else. 

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
You don't have to buy a cd player ,a blue ray player can work as cd player and more. Is rare to use a cd player this days unless you are not going to use a tv at all, you can use that money to buy a sub.

Also you don't have to buy a 2 channel receiver you can buy a 5.1 receiver for around that price ,maybe in the future you want to expand your system to 5.1.

If you already own a bd player or dvd player then there is no point to buy a cd player.

But at the end its your decision.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1501418/completing-a-stereo-set-up-with-emp-tek-e55tis#post_23990195

No need for a cd player ,a blue ray player can work as cd player and more. Is rare to use a cd players this days unless you are not going to use a tv at all, you can use that money to buy a sub.

Also you don't have to buy a 2 channel receiver you can buy a 5.1 receiver for the same price ,maybe in the future you want to expand your system to 5.1.

If you already own a bd player or dvd player?if yes ,then there is no point to buy a cd player.
I do have an old JVC DVD player. 

As for the 2 vs 5.1 receiver, I think I'd get better components for the same price if I went 2 channel. I don't really plan to add surround speakers. Also, the Emp Teks probably need good amplification which the HK 3490 can deliver (it also has digital input/a good internal DAC). 

I'm sure you are more experience than I in these matters but the above is the conclusion I've come to based on my readings. 

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
With a 12/dB rolloff below 55 Hz, the E55Ti do not have the best extension on their own. They really should be paired with a sub.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1501418/completing-a-stereo-set-up-with-emp-tek-e55tis#post_23990576

With a 12/dB rolloff below 55 Hz, the E55Ti do not have the best extension on their own. They really should be paired with a sub.
If that is the case, could you please look at the e10i and the e10i10i and let me know what would suffice for a 400-500 sq ft L shaped room? 

http://emptek.com/es10i.php

http://emptek.com/es1010i.php

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1501418/completing-a-stereo-set-up-with-emp-tek-e55tis#post_23990576

Would you recommend the Emp Tek e10i or the e1010i (or something else? I cannot afford to spend more than 200-250). 

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I don't think the e1010i will get much louder or deeper than the e10, but for the same volume level it will not have nearly as much distortion, as the woofers only have to move half as much. I would get the e1010i. Note these subs do not have a lot of extension in themselves with respect to other subs, but at their current prices they are a very good value.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Update: After reading stuff online that bordered on (and met the criteria for) OCD, I finally purchased a Yamaha RX-V475 receiver. All I need to get now is a blu ray player. I'll add a sub later if I feel the need for one.

So another newbie question: What kind of speaker wire will I need to buy to be able to set up the speakers when I get them? Also, I hear stuff about banana plugs. Do you just buy the plugs and then somehow insert the speaker wires in the plugs?? 

Is there anything else I should get? 

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85  /t/1501418/completing-a-stereo-set-up-with-emp-tek-e55tis#post_23999270

Update: After reading stuff online that bordered on (and met the criteria for) OCD, I finally purchased a Yamaha RX-V475 receiver. All I need to get now is a blu ray player. I'll add a sub later if I feel the need for one.

So another newbie question: What kind of speaker wire will I need to buy to be able to set up the speakers when I get them? Also, I hear stuff about banana plugs. Do you just buy the plugs and then somehow insert the speaker wires in the plugs?? 

Is there anything else I should get? 

Thanks.

Cheapest stuff you can find that are a reasonable gauge. 16 gauge is fine for most runs. I like banana plugs because they are much easier to hook up.

Don't forget to use the tone controls in you AVR to give the bass a boost if you need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts