AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard through the grapewine that Theta Digital is launching their first Universal player dubbed COMPLI. I got very brief details about the unit:

- Suported Formats: DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, SACD, Audio-CD, Video-CD, CD-R/RW, Photo-CD, DVD-RAM, JPEG, MP3

- Has onboard DTS and DD decoders

- Built in Theta Ultra Sync II curcuit is outputting the progressive video signal, supports DCDi

- Video Out interfaces: component, S-Video and composite

- Analog Aidio out: 5.1 channel output

- Digital Audio: optical and coax

- RS232 for custom installers

- MSRP: around $4200

- Expected Availability: October 2003.

Unfortunately this is all I know about the unit. No idea if it has DVI/HDMI/i.Link interfaces. No clue what MPEG decoder is used. Hope that someone here in AVS might shed some more light on the unit. But at this price point it would be totally absurd for this unit to not have any digital interfaces for video and hi rez audio signals. I hope it is just that I had a very incomplete info. But looks very cool, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
If it cost $4000 and doesn't have DVI. It doesn't take Tony Soprano to say Forgetaboutit!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
If it cost $4000 and doesn't have DVI. It doesn't take Tony Soprano to say Forgetaboutit!
Better BELIEVE IT!

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can have sdi with the Compli, it is optional.

At CEDIA I thought the second Compli on display

had a hdmi, but i might be wrong.

Does look nice.

The special link is for their General VIII dac

Jim

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
they will introduce a DVI or HDMI output mid-2004...supposedly.

That will be nice!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Anyone with that kinda cash to spend will probably want to use an external scaler fed by SDI, everything else is just second best (Including DVI). :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Krobar,

Why is SDI better than DVI and/or HDMI?

Dave

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Got the word back from Theta...The Compli can be upgraded to the DVI output after-the-fact. That is - the Complis that are out there now will be able to have the DVI output added by the Theta factory.

Perhaps SDI is better for a CRT/analogue based display? I thought HDMI and DVI pass the very same video signals, which is one reason why a simple plug adapter can do a conversion. - can someone (Kris) comment?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
To the best of my limited knowledge the video signals passed by dvi and hdmi are the same. I use sdi output of a dvd player to feed my scaler. I am less than enthusiastic about dvi in general. I think it benefits the content owners rather than the consumers. I am, of course, far from an expert.

I was crazy enthusiastic about Lexicon's player until I found out that sdi and a digital pathway for high resolution audio formats were both among the missing. This Theta player seems to have more flexibility. Art

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Don't be fooled/foolish

A modded Denon looks like a un-modded one.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
AVfile,

I must apologize. After reading my own post it sounds like I am trying to be a jerk...I am not.

There is more to many of these players than aesthetics and connections. Especially when many are based on the same platform.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
SDI is always without HDCP, this means it can be scaled to the analogue outputs for CRT users (Big advantage). SDI is always 4:2:2 colour format which is the closest to DVD (4:2:0), DVI is 4:4:0 and hence has to go through a colour space conversion (Lower quality). HDMI can be run at 4:2:2 (Few players support it), has some compatibility issues and nearly always has HDCP.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
So what happens if you put an SDI input to a scaler, then run DVI out from the scaler to the display - in my case a DLP FP? Since my only digital input to the projector is DVI, then will it have have 4:4:0 no matter what?

Frankly, I don't really understand what that means anyway.

And why should I care about HDCP if I have no intention of recording or copying DVDs? My FP's DVI input is HDCP enabled so I assume it can play store bought DVDs.

Sorry - kind of getting off the Compli track here, but the Compli will be offering both options.

Also - anyone ever compare the Compli to the Esoteric DV-50(s)?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Art - you can have the Lexicon modded to output from an SDI.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
The scaler may offer a choice of 4:2:2 and 4:4:0 output from DVI. The 4:2:2 output is outside of spec but is mainly to serve those who want to plug into a compatible HDMI input, I dont know if DVI devices might support 4:2:2 but it is out of spec.

My point stands though that SDI is alway better or at least equalt to HDMI or DVI for use in high end externaly scaled setups that the Theta is aimed at. Hence Thetas choice to use SDI was correct.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Are there any scalers out there that output HDMI? My Question is - Are there any digital displays that can actually take advantage of this?

I don't mean to be a pain in the rear end, I am genuinely curious.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
A bit off the subject. But a review of the the Compli and Bel Canto manuals indicates that they both share the same basic transport. Does anyone know which thransport is being used?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.