AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at a lot of HD cards, all seem to have a Composite input but I have found none that have a componant input? Is there a HD TV card that has componant as an input?

My hope is to do the following...

Use my comcast cable box (Set Top Box) and simply capture the HD signal from it's output, kinda like you do for low def programming.

So I would have my STB output to componant, the componant would input to a HD TV card that would give me PVR abilities, then out to the TV via the DVI cable from my vid card?

IS this possible?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
There are a few capture cards with component video inputs, although they are not common. However the component inputs available are all 480i (aka "Low-band"), none are "high-band" component video and thus none of these cards will accept 720p or 1080i/1080p inputs.

Gary

·
Registered
912 Posts
There is no consumer level card that can do what you ask. The bandwidth requirements to be able to handle HD coming over component are just to great. There are some professional grade cards that can handle it but the cost of these cards are up there (thousands) and I don't think that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when people on this forum talk about their HD HTPC boxes they are referring to 480i input? If the PC cannot handel anything close to 720p then how is everyone saying they have a HDPC? Are they all getting simply HD via OTA and the rest of their channels are 480i?

WHat can the QAM cards do? I realize they are direct digital so the STB is removed but do they do the whole 1020p?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
No - when people on this forum talk about HD HTPC, they are not talking about 480i...

(Might want to read around awhile first, as all your questions are answered here-more or less on a weekly basis)

One can receive HD sat signals from a few different sources, many cable boxes will output HD signals over firewire, there are modded HD Tivo boxes that can send a signal to a PC-the list goes on and on. (Might want to check out the "HDTV Recorders" forum)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/0

(Might want to read around awhile first, as all your questions are answered here-more or less on a weekly basis)

(Might want to check out the "HDTV Recorders" forum)

I have been pounding these forums pretty hard for two weeks now and have learned a lot (mostly how little I know). I have done searches and the like as well. I did attempt to do some leg work prior to posting, I swear.

Thanks for the reply though, I feel much better now. I thought I was missing some huge thing where everyone was getting 1080p on their htpcs but me, kinda a Darwin type of thing; "If you aren't smart enough to figure out someting you get NO HD!!!"

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
What you were actually asking for was analog-to-digital conversion of HD signals. That does not exist for consumer HDTV at the moment, not in the fastest Core Duo one can buy. However when a network distributes an HD program it is in an MPEG2-compressed "transport stream", which is a series of digital packets. You can manipulate these transport streams with a modest PC, recording and decoding and playing them back - some HDTV tuner boards require as little as an 800Mhz Pentium 3 for such tasks.

However you cannot use a PC for HD "capture" from a cable box analog component output, unless you buy a very expensive (as in $3000) professional HD capture card. If your programming is available from the cable box in clear digital form over an IEEE1394 (Firewire) port, we could offer you a solution. But we can't offer you a solution for converting analog component HD signals, only standard definition 480i signals.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.