AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, but I have a DVR (Sony HDD500) whose HDMI output exhibits some odd interlacing artifacts, whereas the 1080i component video output is fine. And to further muddy the waters (figuratively and literally), my projector's component input degrades the image quality, whereas its HDMI input (such as from blu-ray) works flawlessly.

Therefore, for my projector I am seeking a decent converter box that would accomplish this, and not cost me more than $200 or so. My alternative would be to buy a new A/V receiver, some of which have this built in, of course.

Can anyone recommend a specific device - I can find lots of them for sale, but need my fellow video-philes input on one that does the job well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
A component to HDMI (or DVI) converter is not hard to find. The issue is that you need a high quality 1080i deinterlacer. Depending on your projector, you may already have a solution in your system. Which projector do you have?

Products like DVDO's EDGE will solve your problem, but at a price out of your range. I think your best solution would be to invest in an AVR that solves this problem for you (and more than likely adds Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA to your system, assuming your current AVR does not support these formats).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA /forum/post/17047062

A component to HDMI (or DVI) converter is not hard to find. The issue is that you need a high quality 1080i deinterlacer. Depending on your projector, you may already have a solution in your system. Which projector do you have?

Products like DVDO's EDGE will solve your problem, but at a price out of your range. I think your best solution would be to invest in an AVR that solves this problem for you (and more than likely adds Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA to your system, assuming your current AVR does not support these formats).

JoshA, thanks for the post, my projector is the Optoma HD20, and from my tests using the Digital Video Essentials test pattern on blu-ray player (Sharp 21u) it looks like the HDMI input works perfectly, while the component input has significant loss of resolution. Thus, watching blu-ray movies through HDMI will be fine. Problem is my Sony DVR HDMI output is horrible - for some reason it introduces horizontal line "breaks" that are very obvious in solid objects such as lettering.

You are probably right, a new AVR is in order here which will accept the 1080i component output from DVR, and then feed a reasonable 1080i or 1080 p HDMI signal to the projector, while also adding the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA (currently have an old Onkyo AVR). And yes, the DVDO's EDGE would be a gross overkill for what I am trying to accomplish. I can accept less than perfect de-interlacing of the 1080i; I just can't stand the loss of horizontal rez. that the PJ does to the component input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.