Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i just bought my first hdtv, along with my first home

theater system. i noticed how much the top end cables are costing:

monster component cables either $70 or $120

svideo cables can get to $50 or more

i'm wondering :

how much do you need to spend on component cables before the difference is so small that you don't really notice?

ordinary 16 guage copper wire for speakers is $9 per 50 feet, yet you can pay up to $30 or more for other types of 50 foot 16 guage speaker wires, is it worth it?

also, any recommendations for audio or svideo cables?

thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Based on recommendations, I just spent $40 on a 35-foot S-Video cable from Markertek.com. I'll let you know next week if it's good.

·
Registered
573 Posts
fionn5

This is very controversial but here is my opinion based on reading and experience.

On audio cable, I think it is safe to get AWG 16 or even 14 if you have a really, really long run. Pay close attention to getting a good connection but don't spend extra on brand name cables.

On digitial video cables like DVI, get a well made but not exorbitant cable from someplace like Pacific Cables ( www.pacificcable.com ) where you can get a 2 meter DVI-D cable for around $20 to $25.

The place where cable really seems to make a difference is analog video cable (RF coax, composite, S video, and component). I have noticed a big improvement by replacing the freebie in-the-box composite cable with www.bettercables.com silver serpent. This connects my STB to my ReplayTV. Ditto with S video cable from bettercables (ReplayTV to HDTV) and from AR Pro (interlaced DVD player to HDTV). The AR Pro, which you can usually find at www.amazon.com was only about $20 for a 2 meter S video and the bettercables was about 3 to 4X as much. I can't really say the bettercables was superior to the AR Pro but both were better than the freebie cables. Several years ago I had a lot of multi-path interference on my analog cable TV. AT&T could not fix it but suggested higher quality RF cables. I went to the local video store and paid big bucks for Monster cables. They helped apparently because of superior shielding but seem cheaply made compared to bettercables and are about the same price. Plus, bettercables is an AVSforum sponsor.

You can spend a ton of money on cables but I don't really think it is necessary (OK let the flames begin). Get good analog video cables from a place that lets you return them if they don't help your system. Then you are only out shipping charges if the cables don't do what you expected. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
What did you end up going with

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.