AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While test-driving DVD players to feed my plasma, I have also test-driven a few component cables available. The verdict to date:

Winner: Monster Cable z300 w/Monster Cable RCA to BNC adapters

2nd place: AudioQuest YIQ-2 w/Monster Cable RCA to BNC adapters

3rd place: BetterCables Silver Serpent w/built-in BNC connector

Honestly, I could not tell the difference between the Monster and the AudioQuest, but the wife could. We both disliked the BetterCables product - it softened the picture considerably.

BetterCables was great to work with; the order came quickly and they were quite nice about taking the cables back.

I would like to try the Nordost product, but cannot find a place to buy it that has a no-questions-asked return policy; only for defects. If anyone knows of an online source for Nordost with a reasonable return policy I'd love to know about it.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
fizbin:

I too am using top-of-the-line Monster component cables and get a fabulous picture. I did not compare them against others, though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Have you considered trying the Rhino Cables premium cable? While I have not compared it with the cables you mentioned its the best I've been able to come up with so far. Think its a keeper.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Magster,

Thanks for waking me up to something I had looked at a while back. There are a number of cable companies basically providing the same cables: Belden with Canare connectors. The ones I have tried so far do not, as far as I can tell, fall into this category.

I just sent a request for a quote to Rhino. I would have been more impressed if I could have found this info and purchased it on their web site, but they apparently are not set up for that. They do, however, have a 30 day full refund for any reason policy.

If I do test drive a set I will post the subjective results.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you sure you were looking at the right web site? They are set-up for on-line orders, its how I purchased my last set. Maybe their shopping cart system is down?

The premium cables are more than a simple Belden cable with Canare connectors. I've gone through a lot of those!They use belden 1695a cable (Teflon insulated) and then take it to another level by adding an additional braided shield with a capacitor at the display end. Supposed to provide superior shielding. Basically its a long Jon Rische digital cable design. You can try the DIY route if you have access to the tools and are handy? The info is available on the net.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Has anyone had any experinece with Blue Jeans Cable?
http://www.bluejeanscable.com

They use the same Belden 1694A coax and Canare 75ohm connectors as the Rhino Performance Cables but are much less expensive.

They also have the Benden 7710A which is just 3 1694A cables bundled together...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Aserhal,

Actually:

The Rhino regular cable is Belden 1694a. No, its not more expensive.

The Rhino performance series uses Belden 1695a. Yes, BJC sells it as well. The Rhino is tech-flex covered for close to the same price though.

The cable we are talking about is the Rhino premium series which BJC does not sell. It starts with belden 1695a, then they add another braided shield which is grounded at the source and terminated with a capacitor at the display end. Next its covered with a layer of heatshrink, followed by a layer of tech-flex. http://rhinocables.com/video%20premium.htm

Its the well regarded JR digital coax cable.

I decided to give this video cable a try after finding the JR digital cable offered such great performance for the dollar.

BolderCables also sells the same cable and is worth a look as they have some great products.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone know how/where to buy the extra braided shield?

I'm in the process of accumulating the tools necessary to build 1694/Canare component cables and might want to try this extra shielding. So far, I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy just the shield or exactly how it gets add to the cable.

Seems like you need the shield loose enough to push the cable through but then how do you tighten it up when you've got it in place?

Sorry for spinning this thread in a different direction - didn't seem like it was worth a new thread...

·
Registered
101 Posts
They really made a difference? I'm using the crap that came with the DVD player. I considered upgrading my cables but the price threw me back a little. I've seen other postings that claim there is no difference in the picture.

Do good S-video cables make a difference as well? My Dish only has S-video or analog.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the Pepsi challenge - different cables perform differently.

·
Registered
181 Posts
IMO, Cables are system dependant. DVD players produce different picture qualities. e.g. Pioneer elite's produce a very sharp picture while Denon produces a softer, film like image. One cable type will not perform the same with both types. You may prefer silver with one DVD player and copper with another. Fizbin has the right idea and that is to try numerous cables until you find the one that works best in your system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I started with Monster component cables with RCA to BNC adapters and the picture LOOKED LOUSY with my 503!!!

I went to avcables.com (thanks to some good advice from a member here) and purchased a set of component cables with the correct terminations and now the picture is fabulous!!!!

I would NOT go the adapter route.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Uh oh, I bought that silver serpent cable based on a few peoples posts and took off my monster 3 component cable with adapters, looks like I may have made a mistake if the first post is true.

I wonder if I can return it, it was 100$ and I just got it 2 days ago.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have the better cables silver serpent cables,I also have monster3 component cables.I prefer the better cables.Go to audioreview.com and check out the cable reviews.Bettercables score very very high.Better cables has a no questions asked return policy. bm

·
Registered
181 Posts
Take reviews posted in audioreview with a huge grain of salt. No names will be mentioned but a lot of the early reviews were obtained by giving incentive to buyers for posting a favourable review. One company rumoured to have used this tactic is now very,very popular.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I never knew that.how do you know? Thanks bm

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I will say that, to my eyes the picture looked no than better from my Monster level 3 cable with radio shack component to bnc adapters.

Now Tweeter is trying to convince me to get the next level or two up in the next series up cable line from monster. They run like 129 $ and 199$ each.

But the level 3 monster does have a 70 ohm guarantee and the video award sticker on it just like they do.

I understand the more cables and the different physical layouts of people;s dvd source and how far from the tv/monitor it is can affect all of this.

Mine is running the full 2m to a plasma and coming out from pile of about 25 cables, but I have to admit the serpent cable, to my eye did not seem to give a better picture than the monster level 3 so far.

Someone also posted that can vary somewhat on the source material sent through the dvd cable though I don't understand that thought yet.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by raybo67
I started with Monster component cables with RCA to BNC adapters and the picture LOOKED LOUSY with my 503!!!

I went to avcables.com (thanks to some good advice from a member here) and purchased a set of component cables with the correct terminations and now the picture is fabulous!!!!

I would NOT go the adapter route.
Which cables from av cable? The ones they lable as 'precision cables'?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.