AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the 34XBR800 and is awaiting for delivery tomorrow. Now I'm just getting all cables ready for hookup. It's great when the TV isn't here so I have lots of room to prewire all cables behind.

Here's the situation, I plan not to use Sony 9000ES preamp for video switching as there's enough inputs with this new TV. However, I do realize there's only 2 S-Video in the back (3rd one is in the front). Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my case, I need 3 S-Video (DVD, SAT, SVHS VCR). But I can use component for my DVD Changer (Sony 850D non-progressive). They wanted to sell me a component cable for $50 AR, but I have tons of good AR composite cables which I'm not sure if I can just grab 3 identical length and type and use them as component? Of course, I'll label them first so I know which end goes where.

Please let me know as otherwise, I'll need to buy a component cable tomorrow. Thanks for your help,

Simon

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Component calls for 75 Ohm cables X 3, I have www.better.cables Silver Serpents. Usually the yellow cables are 75 OHm if you want a quickie set up before you get better cables, pick out 3 of the yellow. The red or white are audio cables and not 75 Ohm.:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hob,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have at least 5 yellow video composite AR cables sitting around. I just don't want to hurry and get something cheap, than later on spending money again to get something better. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade the rack, if I do, I'll need longer cable run, that's another reason I don't want to rush out to buy a set of component cables.

I'll use the yellow composite cables as componet for now. Thanks again,

Simon

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Anytime BTW our moderator David Bott used 30 feet of the URL cables, I gave for The Nate find it in the photos of Home Theaters. Take care I hope everything goes smoothly and have a great christmas.:)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
3 Composite video cables will work just as well as a set of component video cables (which are just 3 composite video cables strapped together with different colored connectors).

I would just suggest putting a label on the each end of the cables identifying Red, Blue & Green. This will make it easier if you need to disconnect one end or the other at some point in the future.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would say there is just one caveat associated with using 3 separate yellow cables. Since the video signal is split into 3 separate signals, it is very important that the 3 signals reach the TV at the same time. One of the claims to fame for the better types of cables (eg, BetterCables) is that the delay in these cables are almost 0. One way to check the delay is to pop in the AVIA test disk and check the Y/C delay for the RGB signals.

Just my $0.02. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.