AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm wiring my basement for future TV's before I drywall. I have a couple questions about component RCA cables.

#1 Is there wall plates for component cables? Any video quality loss?

#2 Is there any "Y" cable adapters for component cable? Quality loss?

#3 I found a component cable switch. It has 3 inputs and 1 output to run multiple video components to a single TV. Does anyone know if this can be run in reverse? I want to run one STB to 2 or 3 different TV's.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Dr. /forum/post/15551655

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm wiring my basement for future TV's before I drywall. I have a couple questions about component RCA cables.

#1 Is there wall plates for component cables? Any video quality loss?

#2 Is there any "Y" cable adapters for component cable? Quality loss?

#3 I found a component cable switch. It has 3 inputs and 1 output to run multiple video components to a single TV. Does anyone know if this can be run in reverse? I want to run one STB to 2 or 3 different TV's.

Thanks for the help.

#1 Yes, there wall plate for anything. You can probably run 50 ft with no loss even in cheaper component cable. If you need to go farther, you can use RG6 for each signal and that will work up to a few hundred feet.

#2 Yes there are Y adapters. Here you can get in trouble depending how you use them. For mono or stereo audio, you can get away with a Y in the line. But video is a no no for the most part. It divides the signal in half, so the video looks darker. With audio it's easy to just crank up the volume. Still any purist will say don't do it.

You can buy amps that equally split up video and audio signals

Another problem with a Y if it's in the wrong place and one of the Y connections is not used but hooked to a long piece of coax or line, you can get a reflection. I have seen them in a TV station when someone put a t barrel to split video instead of an amp and had one of the out puts go a couple hundred feet to nothing. The reflected wave put a ghost on the monitor.

# 3, yes those switches if not amplified will run backwards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts