AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Component Cables: Buy em or Build em?

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Scott Jelsma 
#1 ·
I have seen information up here from people making their own component cables. I have just got back from vacation and should pick up my HS-10 tomorrow. Until I mount it permanently, I will be using some good component cables for my testing. I will need to either order cables from somewhere, or make them myself. I will need approximately 30 feet. I want to run an S-Video and Component Run to the projector.

1) What is the general opinion on building your own cables?

2) If I order them, where is a good place to get good cables at a good price?

#2 ·
Build them, RG-6 quad cable is the way to go. Brian

#3 ·
Build them. You end up with a very high quality at a very low cost and it is pretty fun and certainly easy (but you do need the correct tools). Go to the AVS DIY Forum and you will find detailed instructions and pointers on which parts and where to buy (mostly AVS sponsors). I went the PartsExpress route and couldn't be happier with my 30 foot runs.

#5 ·
Build them. Get the necessary lengths of RG-59 and some RCA-connectors.

RG-6 is not suitable for component leads because the shield can't be soldered (it's teflone coated) and it's very stiff and thick. Well, I wouldn't use RG-6. :)

There are also cables which have three quite thin 75 Ohm coaxial cables in them for uses like this. Looks neat. I don't know what they're called though.

Tor Arne

#6 ·
Don't foget that the HS10 is supplied with a 10 metre (more than 30 foot) pj-multi lead that runs s-video, composite and component. Should be fine for your initial testing.

I vote for make'em too, I've got RG62 coax component leads and they work great.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleighted
I don't plan on making them a lot. Maybe I should buy them.
That's what I thought too,... I made my Video cables,... then I made all new F connector cables for my cable STB and even my other TVs,... then I made all new audio interconnects for both my stereos (likely 20 cables if I count them all up),... and now I am starting to make a buch of cables for the guys at work!!! :D

#14 ·
Scott,

Thank you Thank you Thank you for the post to that site. After reading it and going to all it's links I have decided to build my own cables. It looks really easy with the crimp-on tool. I use the same type of tool at work to make antenna cables so I know it'll be a breeze. What I'm excited about is building my own audio cables including my SPDIF run from the HTPC to my receiver. With all the cabling I need to do in my theater, and rest of the house for that matter, this is definitely the way to go and will save me a ton of money.

Thanks just one more time

Brent

#15 ·
BJM,

You're welcome. The tools are a bit expensive, but in the long run they are well worth the cost. Be sure you decide on which cable you are going to use (Belden 1694A or Canare L-5CFB) before you buy your crimp dies because the dies and connectors are different (see the canare site).

I bought the tools a few months ago but I'm not quite done building my theater so I haven't made too many cables yet. The ones I have done are very easy to do and look very professional.

My problem now is deciding which projector to buy. Figuring out the cable stuff was easy compared to my current dilemma... EpsonTW100, InFocus X1, NEC LT240, Panasonic AE300, Sanyo PLV-Z1, Sharp Z90, Sony HS-10 ... :confused:

#16 ·
I had good luck with bluejeancables.com . I did two (2) fifty foot runs. My picture looks great.

sincerely,

jim

#17 ·
Scott,

I just got the PLV-Z1 today, right now I'm using the composite out from my prog DVD. It's awesome, still need to build a screen and cables, tools are on the way for the Canare.

Be warned, the PLV-Z1 seems to give off an odor, hopefully it'll "burn-in" or something.

#18 ·
Also, keep in mind if you make your own cables, they can be exactly the length you need, making a tidy installation behind the rack. My two cents.

#19 ·
Crapulent,

I've been following your thread ("Hazahh! My Sanyo PLV-Z1 is on it's way!!!"). I'm strongly leaning towards the Z1. It sounds like a fantastic projector and for the price, it doesn't seem I can go wrong. I also need the short throw for my setup. The PJ will be about 9 feet from the screen, giving me a picture size of about 80" by 45". I plan to sit about 10 1/2 feet from the screen. This puts me back about 1.5 times screen width. Do you think screen door will be a problem at this distance with the Z1. If so, maybe I will go with a bit smaller screen size (maybe 72" x 40").

The other projectors I've been considering strongly are the Panasonic AE300 and the Infocus X1. I wish I could demo all of these, but I can't find any place local that has them. I will probably have to buy sight unseen. From all of the reviews I read here, it looks like all three are great projectors so I probably can't go wrong with any of them, but I'm leaning towards the Z1. Now I need to find someplace on the Internet that I can buy from.

You'll be happy with the Canare tools and cable. The cables are easy to make, are superb quality, and look very professional. As Kriilin stated, it is nice to be able to make them the exact length you need!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.