AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Wii the other day and picked up a set of the Psyclone $60 component cables (knowing that it wouldn't be worth it, but I couldn't bring myself to put them back on the shelf...
).

Anyway, after hooking it up I noticed that my whites seem to be a little dark, as well as the rest of the picture. The brightness level of the TV input is set to the same as it was when my Gamecube was hooked up to it, which I was happy with as far as brightness went. I read in another thread that a member felt the official Nintendo component cables actually produce a better (and in particular, brighter) picture on the screen than the $60 Psyclones. I have another couple of weeks to return the Psyclones, so I was just wondering if others who have experience with both cables could verify this?

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Was your GCN hooked up component as well, and to the same input? Alot of displays keep track of settings on a per input basis, so if your Gamecube was on, for example, s-video, then the Wii would look alot different on a differently calibrated component input.

For reference, the Wii should look almost exactly like the Gamecube as far as output quality goes. Also, 480p is a very easy signal to pass. The 60$ cables are a complete ripoff. Nintendo's $30 component cables are great, and the $25 React (or $15-30 clones of said) get the job done just fine. The additional $5 for the Nintendo ones are for quality control, and the cheap clones tend to be DOA more often. Return the Psyclones regardless. Get yourself the Nintendo ones, and some Wii points or something.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I only have the official ones, but there is an article at IGN reviewing some more expensive cables and they said there was no difference in quality between them and the official ones.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I don't have the Wii Psyclone cables, but I do have tried the Psyclone cables for the PS2 and compared them to the Sony cables. I couldn't find a difference in picture quality between them.

I bought the Nintendo brand for the Wii since they were $30.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I already have the official cables on order for $19 and I'll be returning the Psyclones.

Didn't realize that the Wii had built-in wireless either, so looks like I'll be returning the wired network adapter along with the cable too...

Thanks for the opinions!

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
There is no need for anything special unless your Wii and the display are so far that you risk signal loss. That is it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.