Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Component Cables

Hi, I was wondering if some one could help me with some info and suggestions on Component cables? I have a Marantz S2 projector which I want to connect to my HDTV Cable Box, DVD player, and X-Box. To make this connection I need at least 40 foot component cables. Am I going to suffer signal loss and lower picture quality with such a long component run? Are there any recomended component cables for long run HDTV and DVD signals ?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have not run 40 ' component cables but from what I've read on this and other forums the best cables yo can buy may be the ones you make yourself (assuming you are inclined to DIY). I have built my own component cabled from Canare cable and RCA connectors and they work perfectly at 10'. Look here:

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm

and also search on this forum. You will find that many/most will say that this is among the best way to get top quality cables. Canare cables require > $100 in special tools but it may be worth it depending on how many cables you need. You can also build excellent cables with less expensive materials and tools.

If you search, you will also find various places to buy quality cables. My favorite is Markertek; good quality, good prices and good service.

Good luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would suggest cables built from Canare or Belden coax cable. This is broadcast quality cable and (unless you want a fancy label printed on it) can be had for a very reasonable price. There are many companies that sell cables built from Canare and Beldon. I've used Markertek and more recently Performance Audio. http://www.performanceaudio.com

For my new projector, I had Scott at Performance build me two runs of 50' each (one for my DVD player and one for my HD cable box). I had them use Canare "Snake" which come with either 3 or 5 seperate "conductors". I used the 3 conductor variety. It was very, very well priced and well built. If you call Performance and ask for Scott he'll probably remember what he built for me.

One piece of advice, always order it a little longer than you think you need, just in case.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'm using cables made from Belden's best RG6 cable in lengths of 35'. You could go a distance of something like 300' or maybe it was 700' with this cable and a High Def signal. This is considered serious overkill. Check out www.bluejeanscables.com The cables work perfectly for me, and they were cheap. The cost was so reasonable, I decided not to build them myself.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Better Cables have Component cables that are over 100 feet long. Forty feet should not be a problem.

Tom

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by larryep
here is a good descrpition on making canare cables:
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm
Yeah, a good link, but I disagree with him (Chris White?) on a couple of points. First, the Parts Express crimper frame is definitely NOT as good as the Canare frame. I've used both with the Canare dies. Next time I make some cables I'll take pictures of the two crimpers in action. I believe the Canare frame is identical to the Paladin frame which sells for $45.

The second is a minor point. I strongly suggest using the Canare connector boots (as shown on the RGB cables in his bottom photo). These cost as little as 25 cents a piece. They work much better as a strain relief and most people would agree they look more professional.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I buy heat shrink tubing in 4 foot lenghs this suits me fine. The 3/4 inch black is good for the 3 cables coming out of the outer sleeve

Regarding crimpers, I use the canare crimp. I like them mainly because of the wide crimp it makes over other narrower crimps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
25 cents for boots! Outrageous! I paid 15 cents for mine :D

Seriously tho' I used one of the vendors linked on that DIY page. Bought 100 meters of L-5CFB RG6 (big a$$ spool), 100 RCA connectors, 30 F connectors, 20 BNCs, striper, die, crimper, and a neat carrying case (all Canare). I got a good discount on the package.

As for results, I was extremely pleased. The connectors are the best I've seen in terms of quality. Really, really nice. The RG-6 is much more flexible than I expected (solid copper center instead of Cu plated steel). Only two problems. One, it's takes a little bit of time to make cables (I used this for all my interconnects, including audio). Two, ALL my friends keep wanting to use my cable and tools to make their own cable.

[edit - one more thing: the crimp connectors are done in such a way you will destoy the cable before pulling it off. The center pin crimps over the center conductor and then the connector shell locks over the center pin. I made a test crimp and could not pull the center pin off with pliers. I finally pulled the connector off but it basically broke the cable...the crimp was still in place around the attached section of cable.]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.