AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used component connections between my Denon AVR5800 receiver and input 2 (BNC analog RGB) on the Pio 503CMX. I got aa green picture (vs a normal picture via the S connection on the 5002 card). In Menu I change the input from RGB to Component and ended up with a black and white picture. Did I screw up the wires?

Help (once again)

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Have you tried switching the cables around yet?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duh!! I didn't know that my DVD player (Pioneer Elite DVL-91) needed to be told to output component instead of S-video. It's fixed. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I am looking for a progressive scan player.

·
Registered
34 Posts
At the moment, I have my Comcast HD set top box run RGB RCA to my Onkyo 696 RGB RCA, I have my Sony DVD 700NS Progressive run RGB RCA to my Onkyo 696 and RGB RCA out from the Onkyo to the 503cmx RGB BNC. I was wondering if I should run my Comcast HD STB RGB RCA direct to the Pioneer VGA, and by pass the Onkyo, And run the Sony DVD Direct RCA to BNC on the 503cmx. Has anyone tried this and does it make any real differance by- passing Onkyo 696. I have read that the 696 handles HD extremely well. Did not want buy any more of these expensive cables if I don't need them.

Thanks

PCM

·
Registered
181 Posts
If the "RGB RCA" you refer to is what I call composite, you are doing your 503 a disservice. I suggest running component signals from both the STB and the DVD to the Onkyo and component to the 503. The Onkyo will switch those signals just fine, IMO.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
PCM:

I don't believe you’ll see any advantage using the 503’s VGA input. In fact, you may see a problem connecting your HD output to it. Some STB’s don’t produce a full screen image using VGA. I had this problem with a Sony satellite receiver and had to use component to get around it.

If you’ve got a VGA cable lying around, try it to see what happens.

Want1394:

The 503CMX BNC inputs accept either RGB or component, but not composite. The mode (RGB or component) is specified in a menu setting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, Comcast Cable uses a Motorola HD STB which has RCA Component out, S-Video out. I thought I read somewhere you could use RCA component out to VGA In on the pioneer.

But, then again, my Onkyo 696 might be doing a good job anyway, with DVD and STB running into it and then component out to the pioneer.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
pcm:

I believe there is a "break out" cable you can buy which will convert component to VGA, but I don't have any experience with it. There is some info on this forum about it but can't remember where I saw it.

If you try searching, perhaps it will turn up if you're interested in finding more about it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Jim - regarding using YPbPr versus RGB, the 503CMX I recently calibrated had some small color decoder errors when fed YPbPr 480p. We were unable to adjust the decoder itself so required a slight compromise on the Color and Tint settings. Customer did not have wideband source yet so the result may not carry over to higher rates. FYI

·
Registered
299 Posts
On the CMX, you can feed Component to the 15 pin VGA connector, the details are in the Installation manual which you can download from the Pioneer web site.

Both the VGA and the BNC connectors can take either RGB or Component signals as long as the PDA-5002 card is installed and the inputs correctly configured.

Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
Presuming for a moment I don't have the PDA-5002 card, I would only have a VGA input to the 503 CMX. How would I connect a Hughes Platinum HD set top box to the set? I would already be needing to feed a DIVI or VGA from my HTPC. I'm presuming some kind of VGA switch and an adapter of some kind?

...edited out...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not quite that simple, the component connection only works if you have the PDA-5002 card installed.

Without the card it can take a PC type RGB signal via the VGA connector and the BNC connectors, but it can't take component.

Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
Basically, I'm going to have an HTPC with an ATI Radeon 8500. Which output do I use on the 8500 and which input do I use on the 503 cmx? In addition, I'll also have a High Def set top box that I'll want to input directly to the 503 cmx.

And it can take component via the BNC yes?

·
Registered
299 Posts
With the PDA-5002 card installed the 503CMX can accept component on the BNC connectors.

No PDA-5002 or similar card, no component.

Without the card you'll have the VGA and the BNC connectors able to accept a PC type RGB signal.

With the PDA-5002 you will gain DVI, S-Video and composite as options as well as the component on the BNC's that I mentioned earlier.

If you really don't want the card you could probably connect the 8500 to the VGA port and get an S-Video to VGA convertor together with a VGA to 5xBNC cable to connect the set top box as long as it has S-Video out.

But frankly, if your HD set top box has component out I can't imagine that you'd really want to feed it via S-Video, so you'll need to get the PDA-5002 card to go with the plasma and really take advantage of the HD source.

Other routes involving Faroudja or similar external devices will be much more expensive than just getting the PDA-5002 card.

Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks, that clears it up. I agree that there's little point in shafting the signal coming from the HD set top box. Just means that's another $400 for the card is all. Thanks again, that really helped!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Do a search on this forum, I know I've seen people post a link a couple of times for a source that was below $300 from memory.

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.