AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had in-wall cabling run and it is just the raw component cables. Went to the local radioshack which is awful and they didn't have anything. So what connectors should I buy to get the best connection?

Thanks!

I know there was another thread about component connectors, but different goal and didn't want to hijack his thread

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
It depends a lot on what brand and model cable that you are working with. Also depends on your skill level when working with wire and soldering. By component, do you mean a 3 cable video signal?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
there are a million different kinds of cables out there, with a million differents ends from thousands of different vendors. Without knowing what kind of cable you're talking about, we have no freaking idea.

I mean, lets start with the basics please: What cable is it? What kind of connector do you require? What kind of tools do you have?

You don't walk into a tire store and say you need tires, and that you have a motorvehicle that has wheels...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought (which is apparantly incorrect) that component cables all had the same type of connector. Sure they could be of different material and some could be crimped or whatever, but I had expected the type of connector to be a certain number / name then I could go look at the options.

Based on the responses I guess that is incorrect.... There are two types of component cables in my walls and I will see what additional information there are and post back

EDIT and yes with component I meant 3 cable video signal sorry for not being more clear on that

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well, they're ordinarily RCA connectors...but the problem is that the part of the connector that meets the cable has to be sized for the cable diameter. If you're looking at solder-on connectors, the main thing you need to be sure of is that the cable entry hole is large enough for the jacket. If you're looking at crimp-on, then there will be multiple important dimensions--center conductor, shield diameter, jacket size. If you're looking at compression connectors, typically those are available for conventional "RG-59" and RG-6" dimensions.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK learning here so appreciate patience

First set -- I don't know for sure if there is something else in the wall (which worries me). This is behind a TV and I need help to remove it. The specs is what is concerning to me 2 Cat5e and 2 Cat Series 6 Coax -- I really need this to be component and not HDMI.... Can this be turned into Component?

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/HomeChoic...%20Catalog.pdf

First cable on page 3

More info
http://www.broadbandutopia.com/ban.html

What I know for sure is in the second spot (and hoping behind the first TV as well) I can't find online..... typical

Here is what is listed on the cable

Carol R C5775 RG6 / U 75Ohm 18 AWG E233577 Swept to 3GHZ

Is that enough information to figure out what I got?

Now my father-in-law that routed the cables says he has a crimper for the connections to be made. The local HT store says they have a compressor they would use for with labor at $80 an hour. There is enough cable to cut of the ends and redo.... the question is how much loss should I expect if we crimp manually -- lots, negligible, none

Appreciate any input even if it is - "go get more information"

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
So you have 4 category cables there, and one RG6 run?

You would want to terminate the cat5/cat6 cables normally, and then buy a component video over cat balun. There are many many options for such baluns from different vendors, you can google around. To terminate the cat, you need a cat jacket stripper ideally, a few bucks at the hardware store, or you can just use scissors or a regular wire stripper or any such tool if you're careful not to score the inner conductors. Then you need a network crimp tool, which will run about $60.

I think that's pretty standard RG6, you can get compression F or compression RCA fittings from many places, F-CONN etc. But you'll need a compression tool, and a coax stripper. Compression tools are expensive, close to $100. You can get cheap coax strippers at home depot, etc.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK one more thing to clarify - I apologize

Where I have the RG6 run I have three of them so that will carry the video signal for component in. I am doing sound separately. Can the compression tool be manual ie you "crimp" it together?

The tool we have looks something like this (not exactly the same) it has three different sizes for tv / network cables so that should cover item 1 that you mention just want to make sure if there is any way to do the RG6 with it as well

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Second clarification

So where I have the Cat5 and two Series 6 I can turn one of the cat 5s into a component cable and then terminate the two "series 6" cables and that will give me three components. Sounds good. As I said I might have double runs there with 3 RG6 as well. I told them to overdo it rather then underdo it, but some things didn't get done as how I had requested (like what cables to be used......)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
There won't be any signal loss, it's just a different method of termination. I believe the compression method delivers a more secure termination, however. That said, if this is a one time connection - say, to a wall plate of some kind that will never be messed with again,the crimping method will be fine.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt /forum/post/16983848

There won't be any signal loss, it's just a different method of termination. I believe the compression method delivers a more secure termination, however. That said, if this is a one time connection - say, to a wall plate of some kind that will never be messed with again,the crimping method will be fine.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thank You!!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBJC /forum/post/16937944

Well, they're ordinarily RCA connectors...but the problem is that the part of the connector that meets the cable has to be sized for the cable diameter. If you're looking at solder-on connectors, the main thing you need to be sure of is that the cable entry hole is large enough for the jacket. If you're looking at crimp-on, then there will be multiple important dimensions--center conductor, shield diameter, jacket size. If you're looking at compression connectors, typically those are available for conventional "RG-59" and RG-6" dimensions.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
Say Kurt, how's that thing with Monster coming?

Regards,

Wayne

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Search google video, or youtube, for termination tips -

search 'punch down cat 6' and 'crimp rg6'

Any tools you may need can be found at Home Depot or Lowes.

Most cat5e and cat6 female connectors come with a plastic punch down tool - if you only have to terminate a dozen or so cables, that will work just fine.

Practice terminating an RG6 cable a handful of times, sitting in front of the TV (cut and trim the cable, but don't crimp while practicing).

Edit - just re-read your OP, and it says 'to get the best connection' - is that what you really want? You can spend a couple hundred more dollars to get the 'best' connections, if you really want. Just ask.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two things

1) In regards to best connection. These will go to a wall-plate so they won't be pulled off and on. The tv will be in the bar area. Does it need to be 100% - no. Will I be happy with a bunch of breakup / pixelation / macroblocking etc - No.

I guess the best is the wrong comment. I want something that works well......

Now my issue is what connectors to get. I emailed monoprice with the cable information.

Carol R C5775 RG6 / U 75Ohm 18 AWG E233577 Swept to 3GHZ

They asked if it is single or quad shielded. How do I figure this part out. Looks like a single shield to me, but never seen quad shielded......

The other cable I have -- won't use the RG6. I am going to try monoprice cat5 to HDMI wall plates (it is both cat6 and RG6 in the bundle that is run to that TV)

So is there no way to just read on the cable and get all the pertinent information? I have looked at it and written down everything but it doesn't seem to be enough......

Carol R C5775 RG6 / U 75Ohm 18 AWG E233577 Swept to 3GHZ............

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Search this pdf for 'c5775' for the specs on your cable

http://www.cmpinc.com/general_cable/...talog-1-06.pdf

I found it on p 65

PM KurtBJC (post above) - he can prob answer any Q you have

Edit - just buy some stuff from him. I bought an HDMI cable from Blue Jeans, works perfectly, great price.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh - I get my stuff from Bluejeans cable. The thing is when I bought my home I had 2 days to get the cables in the basement before dry-walling came....... They refused to push it out. So my father-in-law that lives up here put all the wires in. I called a local HT Store and they sold it to us and some other services. THey were supposed to give me cat5e / 6 so I could make long HDMI runs, but I found out they gave me component.

With that said I said that was fine for everything but the projector. Got BlueJeans to send me a 2-day HDMI cable that is like 60ft (since others wanted $$$$$ for that). Managed to push the dry-walling one more day and it got installed.

The other cables are already in the wall so I can't really change them all out (yeah my father-in-law went old school and they are attached throughout so I can't use them to pull new cables)

EDIT -- 3,000 miles stopped me from doing it myself.....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/16993083

Search this pdf for 'c5775' for the specs on your cable

http://www.cmpinc.com/general_cable/...talog-1-06.pdf

I found it on p 65

THANK YOU -- I don't know how the heck you found this but you are clearly better with the search engines than I am. I spent a few hours looking for this

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Namaste

1 - 20 of 31 Posts