AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a scaler to take component and DVI HD sources and scale them all to 1280x768 for output via DVI. The output aspect ratio must be adjustable to 15:9. I had thought the DVDO iScan HD+ was so capable, but somehow missed the fact that it passes though component HD signals, which makes it almost useless for my purposes.

What scaler would suit my needs? I really don't want to spend more than $1500 or so. This whole situation has me somewhat frustrated. I shouldn't have assumed, but excitement got the better of me as I read the specs on the HD+... scaling input signals to almost any custom resolution over DVI, with adjustable output aspect ratio... I thought my prayers had been answered. *sigh*

·
Registered
442 Posts
Lumagen Vision HDP could also do it ... but how urgent is your scaler needs? New generation scalers like DVDO VP30 is around the corner. Check out the other posts pls.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Bishamon, it looks like the new DVDO VP30 will fill the bill for you. The information on it is up on the DVDO website now. AVS is a dealer for DVDO and offers great pricing. Check it out!

Dan

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm re-examining what I want to do and exactly what the best solution would be. The VP30 looks awefully tempting, but I don't know if I can wait until it is shipping. My current DVD player outputs DVI, and does allow custom resolutions, but material ends up stretched slightly because it assumes the display is 16:9 while it's actually 15:9 (the output is gorgeous apart from that one flaw). My HD receiver outputs 1080i or 720p via component or DVI, however, my TV has an issue with the component inputs and signals above 480p. I assumed I could just hook up the HD+ via DVI and have all sources scaled to 1280x768p, but that won't be possible. Ultimately, however, I expect to have multiple DVI/HDMI sources (assuming XBox 360 and PS3 eventually have that connection option).

I've also been considering SDI, but that would require getting yet another DVD player (I seem to buy at least one per year ;)). If I can find a relatively inepensive SDI player, then I would definitely go that route, leaving the DVI input on the HD+ free for use with my HD/PVR. This will be near perfection until I have more DVI/HDMI sources, at which point I would need to buy a DVI switchbox. This makes the VP30 seem like a better solution, since it has multiple HDMI inputs. On the other hand, I can get an HD+ for a really good price, and have it much sooner than the VP30. *sigh*

I'm just thinking out loud. I'm weighing the inconvenience of (eventually) using a DVI switchbox versus the cost and additional wait involved in ordering a VP30. Unfortunately, this involves a lot of speculation, since I will have two or three new sources within the next year or so (XBox 360, PS3, and possibly an SDI DVD player). Also, with Blu-ray and/or HD-DVD on the horizon, I'm trying to consider what position I'll be in 12-18 months down the road. Also, within a couple of years, I will likely have a 1920x1080p native display, and I'm trying to take that into account as well. I believe the HD+ will scale to that resolution, and pass through sources already at that resolution (PS3, HD-DVD?). Would I really benefit that much from the VP30 versus the HD+, apart from the convenience of DVI/HDMI switching? Will next-generation Blu-ray or HD-DVD players scale 'legacy' DVDs acceptably well, or will thye HD+ (or VP30) still be a better option? Once the new high definition players hit the market, how long will it be until my favorite DVD titles are replaced with 'upgraded' versions? Will the 'old' DVDs look so bad by comparison that I won't even care how they are being scaled (similar to how I feel about my old VHS and beta movies today)?

With all of these variables, it would seem that waiting would be the best option, but I am not one to wait. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.