AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am already using both component inputs on my Sony 57 TV. I just bought an X-Box and now need a third component input. What if I split the input at the TV with a good quality Y video cable? I have not seen any Y component cables.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You really should use a component video switch rather than a Y cable. Some folks have used inexpensive manual switches made for composite video and left and right audio, giving them 3 switched signal paths for component video.

I have not tried this. Be aware that there can be picture quality degradation caused by the inexpensive switch not being designed to specifications that support wideband video.

The best solution is a true component video-quality switch. You may want one that also switches the audio at the same time. I cannot suggest any equipment because I have not used any myself. Maybe others with experience will post more help here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can sink a lot of money into just a "switch" to do component video. Theres one switch that goes for $185-ish, but everyones out of stock. I was about to dump all this $$$ into "just a switch", in order to have more component inputs, when I realized for a little more you can get a audio/video receiver that also has component in's & out's that are switched. Also handles the optical audio switching and gives you DD/DTS/DD-II surround sound audio with AM/FM tuner. I got a Sony 885 for $250 including shipping. I did have to add speakers however. But, I feel better about going this route than spending almost the same on just a "switch". This setup gives me 3-component inputs to use. How many do you need? This "might" be an option for others too...?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.